Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
fc nut

fc nut is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo build

I read somewhere, we could use gsl se housings in the reni. Is this possible and has someone already done it? If so, can you use the lower comp rotors as well? It gives me an idea on an engine build. Any and all input is welcomed, so fire away.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
JL1RX7
Rotary Fanatic

JL1RX7 will become famous soon enough

Don't turbo it. Unless you just love wasting money you will never get what you want. Space and heat are your two biggest enemies here. To do a turbo right, major fab work to the subframe needs to be done. Putting a turbo on a RENI will drive your engine life from poor to matter of when the coolant seals will blow. Even if you switch out housings you will still have issues. Two ECU 's ( one for the CANBUS system and other being engine ) will be expensive and nite mare to integrate correctly. Yes people have done it, but they never last long.

Best bet is put the money in suspension and call it a day.
JL1RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
fc nut

fc nut is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. I knew that the reni doesn't last long boosted, I was curious if it would be different when using the se engine parts. I was sure it would last longer with the se's 3mm seals. I guess the second option is to port it and I've heard that you can't bridgeport a reni. Is that true?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
JL1RX7
Rotary Fanatic

JL1RX7 will become famous soon enough

It's not the apex seals that's the issue. It's the coolant seals, they moved them compared to other 13B's. Bridgeporting can be done. But again it's a lot of work for little gain.
JL1RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

SuperCharged Renni with the Pettit Kit is the only thing I would do power adder wise to a renni.

270-350rwhp... or engine swap.... but that's a whole different can of worms...

I dyno'ed an auto renni with the Greddy kit and a BNR upgraded turbo.... 12psi, I think 10* of timing is all it would take, and it made 170rwhp.

Then there's all the other turbo kits out there, none of them really impressed me, nor did they work as advertised.

ECU functionality is a whole bag of shit to deal with as well.....

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

Adaptronics is supposedly releasing a full CANBUS compatible stand alone "next year"... We'll see, but the ECU deal isn't all that complicated... Mazdaedit will let you reflash the stock ECU for the S1 or S2 RX8s.

I would personally use the Adaptronic piggy back, and swap in an REW block with Renesis front cover.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddozen View Post
Adaptronics is supposedly releasing a full CANBUS compatible stand alone "next year"... We'll see, but the ECU deal isn't all that complicated... Mazdaedit will let you reflash the stock ECU for the S1 or S2 RX8s.
Unless MazdaEdit has actually titled their maps it's futile.

Also of note and little known fact, you can only flash the stock ECU so many times before it literally smokes itself.

We had this issue at Speed1 on an S2 that we were trying to get running complete with turblow turbo kit. The owner eventually put the car back to stock and sold it.

Adaptronics pisses me off because on that same S2 we were told up and down that their shit would work, they've done it, blah blah blah. We only later found out that they were guessing and lying to us and using us as the guinea pigs... that pissed me off because it was me that was on the dyno for days with nothing but pure hatred and rage building inside me

Quote:
I would personally use the Adaptronic piggy back, and swap in an REW block with Renesis front cover.
Been there, done that too on the Diasio that we had. REW block, renni front cover, PITA to get the end play right (look at the difference in thickness between an REW and renni front iron), and IIRC we had to grind the front cover do the counterweight would rotate completely and then weld some material on because in grinding it we punched through the outside.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

You're right Brian...

Check out the posts from rmvpa007 on the link below. He's basically saying that you can use a modified 12a counterweight to balance the assembly and install the front cover without modifying it significantly. I have no clue as the accuracy of his claims though. Surely a custom counterweight could be made to facilitate the front cover issue, or mitigate the risk of grinding through it. Again though, I don't have all these parts in front of me to know what would be possible or not. I do know that the Renesis counterweight is pretty sunk into the front iron...
http://www.rx8club.com/rotary-swaps-...-255013/page8/
Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Ric Shaw
Ric Shaw Racer

Ric Shaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm helping with it now, it was because of me we have the ECU in the first place. yes i know....wow.
Ric Shaw Racing Australia.
Ric Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #10
Ric Shaw
Ric Shaw Racer

Ric Shaw is on a distinguished road

COPY OF POST."Unless MazdaEdit has actually titled their maps it's futile.

Also of note and little known fact, you can only flash the stock ECU so many times before it literally smokes itself.

We had this issue at Speed1 on an S2 that we were trying to get running complete with turblow turbo kit. The owner eventually put the car back to stock and sold it.

Adaptronics pisses me off because on that same S2 we were told up and down that their shit would work, they've done it, blah blah blah. We only later found out that they were guessing and lying to us and using us as the guinea pigs... that pissed me off because it was me that was on the dyno for days with nothing but pure hatred and rage building inside me"

I was the first to do S2 RX8 with Adaptronics, also a turbo car. it makes 270 kws at wheels here in Australia and drives as factory. what is the issue??
i am keen to know what went wrong for you.
Ric Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Shaw View Post
I'm helping with it now, it was because of me we have the ECU in the first place. yes i know....wow.
Ric Shaw Racing Australia.
Let me know when it's available... I'll need one to make my 20b swap easier. Also, see if they'll build in a way to disable to damn power steering warning light... lol