Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > Flyrx7's Pod works

Flyrx7's Pod works flyrx7@aol.com (WA) Specializing in 3rd gen gauge pods

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

CarbonFD is on a distinguished road
Default Help....Frank

So I have a question and hopefully you can help... I am selling my gauges to get new ones... Well the freaking guages will not for the life of me come out... I really dont want to pry on this thing and I dont want to damage the ring of the gauges anymore... I cant even move them in a circle nothing they will not budge... Is there anything I can do? Heat up the plastic with a hair dryer? Put it in the freezer? Anything? Hell if you have a special trick ill send you the damn thing and you can try lol... Thanks Frank

Chris
CarbonFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Flyrx7 is on a distinguished road

You already guessed it. Hair dryer.
It has happened once that I know of, and the hair dryer was the trick.
With thermal plastics heat is either the hero or the enemy, so be careful, but a 10-20 second blast per gauge should do the trick.
Also, do all of the "pushing" from within the pod, at the back of the gauges, through the wiring access hole.
If you have any problems, let me know.

Regards,
Frank
Flyrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

Well I have been at it with my girlfreinds cermaic super heat hair dryer for the past 20 min... Nothing they wont even budge....

Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFD View Post
Well I have been at it with my girlfreinds cermaic super heat hair dryer for the past 20 min... Nothing they wont even budge....

Chris
Alright, let's back up a tick. Have you unscrewed the set screws first?
(I know, stupid question, but I have to ask)
Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

Yes... lol first thing I did..lol hey you got to ask...

Chris
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Chris,

OK, I need some more info from you so that I can weigh all factors.

1- What gauges are you currently using? (metal or plastic body)
2- Did you originally install them or someone else?
3- Was the original installation tight, snug or loose
4- Was the pod exposed to very high heat? (windows up, direct sun, 110+ degree outside temps)
5- If so, how often does that occur.
6- Also, which pod version do you have, the one with (2) clips or (4)?

I just want to make sure I have all the info before recommending anything further.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

They are greddy peak and hold gauges... Metal body...
Previous owner installed them
they had told me the installation was tight and had said before that he had tryed to remove the gauges once but they didint come out but also mentioned he put in little effort.
Well the pod came from canada I dont think it gets super hot up there... I have had it here in california for about 4-6 months, its only been in the car maybe 2 months but it hasnt been very hot at all this summer none with 110+ degrees
it has the 4 clips.

Chris
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Just to clarify, they were tight going in the first time?

Last edited by Flyrx7; 07-22-2008 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

Thats what the previous owner told me...He said they were a snug fit going in...And the first time he tryed to take them out they woudnt come out so he left them in and decided to sell the gauges with the pod becasue he didint want to bother with it. I decided I want to go with some defi gauges so am selling these... But they wont come out..lol Tryed pushing,pulling, twisting turning, heating cooling, even tryed to do it with even prussure on each side of gauges to make sure its not gettign wedged they just will not move.

Chris

Chris
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

Ill send it to you... and give you some money for return shipping if you would like to take a shot at it...

Chris
Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Chris,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I had computer problems and meetings all day.

The way things sound is that the gauges might be too tight for much to work, except for extricating them forcibly, thus either destroying the pod, the gauges, or both, if not taking some necessary precautions.

The way I see it is either:

1- Sell the pod with gauges, letting the buyer know the situation, and use a portion of that money for a new pod. I'll have more of those in just a few weeks.

2- Destroy the pod to save the gauges, which I'm sure are worth more than the pod. If you aren't comfortable doing that I could do it for you. Before I did that I could try to remove them first, but I can't guarantee that the gauges or the pod will survive. I'm pretty confident I could save the gauges, but I can't be responsible for them.

3- As a last resort, you can put the whole mess in the oven at 150-200 degrees for a few minutes to see if that helps. I'd be very, very cautious doing this however, as I'm not sure what that type of heat would effect the actual gauges. If the oven has a setting as low as 150 it would probably be pretty safe, but at 200 you'd want to keep a close eye on things. It would also be possible to deform the pod and/or gauge bezels, lenses and dials, etc.

So, I'm not sure what you want to do, but I'm willing to help anyway I can. If you want to send it to me, whatever, just let me know.

Regards,
Frank
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #12
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

Well unfortunately I already sold the guages and the buyer is not interested in the pod... The other unfortunate thing is that I bought the pod a while back when no one thought you were coming back, for a pretty penny lol... I know im on the list for another 60mm one but I would hate to have to throw the money I spent on this one away which i see there being no other alternative too... So I guess my plan off attack is going to be the use a dremal and cut around the very outside face in a circular rotation around the gauges once I get the face off I can cut small lines into the top adn hopefully release some pressure to get the gauges out... After thats all done I can try adn frankenstien it back together with some epoxy and paint it... Man i really dont want to destroy this pod...Thanks for all your input Frank its appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you aobut my new pod.

Chris
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

Chris,

It's sad to appear that you may be out of options to save the pod, but I'd definetely try the hair dryer on more time. Focus it real well on just one pod, all over it. Wear some gloves, and make sure to push the pod from the inside on several different locations. You may even try a little WD-40, sprayed from inside the access slot to the back edge of the gauges.

Best of luck, let me know how things turn out.

Regards,
Frank
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Flyrx7
Rotary Fanatic

On a side note, for others that may have a similar issue:

If the gauges are too snug to fit the pod, take a 2" or smaller drum sander in a drill or drillpress and enlarge the hole a bit. Sand evenly to the entire depth of the bored opening. If you make it too large you can always take up some slack with some tape on the gauge, and the set-screw will lock it in.

On some models of gauges, the bezel, or ring, may contact the pod next to it, forcing the gauge tight against the opposite wall of the pod opening. Removing a little on that side within the pod opening will let the gauge shift slightly away from the adjacent pod. Failure to due this might get the gauge cock-eyed and wedged in.

Of course, if you just purchased a pod from me and you have this issue, please contact me asap.

Regards,
Frank
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
CarbonFD
Rotary Fan in Training

So I was able to talk the guy into picking up the gauges pod at a very cheap price so i dont have to tear it apart... Any time frame as to when the 60mm will start Frank? Thanks

Chris