Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

Pettersen is on a distinguished road
Default Add a little "power" to my DD engine

So i got a stock S4 N/A engine i use to DD while i'm building a Semi PP N/A engine.

And since i'm fairly new to rotaries i wonder if there is anything i can do with the S4 engine that would gain me some extra power without being expensive, since i need to put all money in to the Semi PP build.

Already have uprated exhaust,TB mod and a previous owner changed out the filterbox with an open filter, anything else i could do? My only idea is to build a proper CAI, since the setup now probably isn't optimal.

Pettersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

Nope, given whats done that's about all you can do. I don't think theres anything really wrong with the factory airbox. Even if you did change that your not going to get a noticeable result.
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

hmm, to bad. Will just need to get the semi pp engine finished as soon as possible then, tho i doubt it will be done until the summer of 2013.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Full exhaust is the best thing to do. A header will gain you the most power on an n/a engine

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

CAI will help some. Biggest gain would be from going to an aftermarket computer, eg Haltech.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

I have an rotaryworks 2,25" header, and the rest is more or less straight 3" pipes with 2 mufflers, and one buttplug from hell(to keep the noise down on the norwegian version of emissions, and i haven't bothered removing it yet since i suspect the car is way to noisy without it, but i'm planning on building a new muffler with a bypass/cutout valve)

I'm going to buy Haltech sport 1000 for the semi pp build, but i guess i could make that a priority, since i plan on using it on both engines anyway.

Last edited by Pettersen; 01-29-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

You'll be able to lean it out some but also make the timing more aggressive.
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

Guess i will make it a priority then.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

All that said, I still wouldn't expect much from the engine.

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

I know, but every little bit helps
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

How much of a difference would itb's make on the stock engine?

I'm thinking i would loose hp, but not shure how much.. Either way, this won't be for performance reasons but because i'm going to run itb's on the semi pp engine, and i want everything as similar as possible, since it will make it easyer when i change engines in and out of the car. Plan on having one big plug for everything on the engine, and one harness on each engine, that way i don't have to take a single piece of the engine, just unhook the cable, motormounts and it's out.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

ITBs aren't going to give you much, if anything. The big bottle neck with the NA engines is always the exhaust. If you're running a silencer in the tail pipe as you described, it's knocking down a good deal of top end power. Very hard to make NA power without having a ridiculously loud car.

ITBs should give you a little crisper throttle response, if setup properly. Maybe a couple HP up top, depending on how everything else is matched. Probably lose a small amount of power through the low and mid range. All in all, I would be surprised if you saw +/- 5 HP anywhere in the curve.

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

Great, sounds like there isn't any realy big downside to it then

I realy need to figure out how to build a sound dampening but very little restrictive muffler.

Would a cutout valve solve any proplems, like opening it when i want to drive fast and closed for city driving. Or would i need one map for closed and one for open, or having it controlled by an rpm switch?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
89Rotary
GTUs 6 Port

89Rotary is on a distinguished road

you could try 6 Port Sleeve Inserts. Like from pineapple racing or i believe Atkins and Racing beat sell them too. the New Rx8's come stock with em. and its a simple install. all you gotta do is remove the LIM and toss em in. and supposedly its an instant 5 - 10 hp increase. i can't vouch for the HP increase. but it makes sense since your smoothing out the airflow from your 5/6 ports
"Days Of Spoken Legend Has Come To An End, The Curtain Of The New Rotary Era Has Been Raised"
89Rotary is offline   Reply With Quote