Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
BLKTOPTRVL
Rotary Fanatic

BLKTOPTRVL is on a distinguished road
Default Parts Cleaning Guide

I would like to propose that this section be added to by those who have direct knowledge. It is set up so that people who are disassembling their engines can have a handy spot where they can identify what can be cleaned and how.

I created this in table format so it can be easily read. Maintaining it will be a little more difficult, but if it becomes combersome, I will write a small program to generate the HTML necessary.

If you have an addition to make, please post to this thread and I will add it to the table.

If you have any other comments/posts I would like to hear other suggestions.

For additions to the table, please post in the following format:

{Generations};
{Part Abreviation or ID#};
{Part Name};
{Clean With=[R]ag Only/[S]pray Can/Harsh [P]arts wash chemicals/Planet friendly [W]ater based cleaning solution};
{Prefered Cleaning Method=R/S/P/W};
{Dry Method=[A]ir dry/[C]ompressed air/[R]ag};
{Preferred Drying Method=A/C/R};
{Warnings}

ContributorGenerationPart IDPart NameClean=R/S/P/WDry=A/C/RWarnings
BLKTOPTRVLALLVariousOil Pan, Front Cover, AC/PS Pulley MountR,S,P,WAif using chemicals, be certain the threads of the drain plug are not fouled by deposits. Soaking the parts in a parts washer using an aqueous solution removed the heavy grime. And a dish/pot brush can remove much of the grease coating, but a film of grease with deposits caked in corners will remain. After air drying, a chemical spray cleaner like brake or carb cleaner may remove the film.
N.RotaryTech ALLFront CoverFront CoverR,S,P,WADo same as with the housings except the wd40 part.
Note: take out/off the omp gear and shaft, and the big bolt with spring thats on the bottom of the cover (I forgot what that part is called).
BLKTOPTRVLALLCASCrank Angle SensorS,RAdo not soak, keep chemicals out of electronics; do not wipe scribe marks away if applied with ink marker
BLKTOPTRVLFC OMP(a) Oil Metering Pump Assembly SC rubber o-ring may deteriorate; moving parts may jam; has paper gaskets
BLKTOPTRVLAllRotorsRotorsP Cafter a long soak (7 hours) most of the carbon and varnish appear to have disolved into the solution. This is a strong carb cleaner. I have not seen yet what the bearing look like. I am not sure they survived the soak
N.RotaryTechAllRotor HousingsRotor Housings P C
Clean stage 1: Soak them in PurplePower for 5-15 minutes or so. Rinse with water.
Dry: Paper towels and compressed air.
Tip: Sprayed WD40 on surface where rotors/apex seals ride (inside of housings). Wipe down w/paper towel.
Clean stage 2: Outside of housings and coolant passage mating surfaces, cleaned with 2" fine wire wheel.
Inside coolant passages and spark-plug holes, cleaned with small wire wheel from dremel tool.
Tip: get rid of dust particles from the wire wheel work by...water rinse, paper towel dry, WD40 (inside housings).

Last edited by BLKTOPTRVL; 05-09-2008 at 01:59 PM..
BLKTOPTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
BLKTOPTRVL
Rotary Fanatic

I tried an aqueous cleaning solution (Monster Formula07) on a rotor. I liked the idea of using it because it is better for the environment and easier to get rid of when no longer needed.

But the results show that it would take a lot of scrubbing to get the rotor clean in that solution. And since I don't want to sand the rotor (because there are many recesses I won't be able to reach) I decided to place it in a bucket of Gunk Carburetor and Parts Cleaner.

I let it sit for about 7 hours. After the soak, I decided to try to brush some of the varnish and carbon off.

However, just the movement of the brush in the solvent revealed the shiny metal surface of the rotor. It appears that all of the carbon and varnish has dissolved onto the cleaner.

Tomorrow, I will rinse and dry the rotor and take a picture.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
BLKTOPTRVL
Rotary Fanatic

Default Pictures of cleaned rotor

Here are some pictures of the rotor I cleaned (as described in the post above).
  • I still have quite a bit of cleaning to be done before I can say it is done.
  • The biggest cleaning problems I have left are in the side and corner seal recesses.
  • I broke one if the side seals getting the side seal springs out (they are all toast)
  • As you can see the bearing is also gone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear rotor 018.jpg (137.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg rear rotor 015.jpg (133.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg rear rotor 014.jpg (137.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg rear rotor 010.jpg (142.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg rear rotor 013.jpg (135.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
BLKTOPTRVL
Rotary Fanatic

Default Paint Can Key

A paint can key fitst in the oil control rings pretty good and can be used to clean them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint Can Key.JPG (11.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
BLKTOPTRVL
Rotary Fanatic

Sorry, I have not had a chance to add to this. Anyone have any additions?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

I like to use the old engine parts to clean some of the stuff...

I like using 3pc apex seals to clean water jacket o-ring lands, use old side seals to scrape side seal grooves etc. Not sure how you'd add that to the chart - but nonetheless
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote