Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
mpm
The Newbie

mpm is on a distinguished road
Default 1988 GTU resto-mod project

I've owned the car since 1997 at 54,000 miles. Was completely stock. I did the basic exhaust work eventually eliminating the failing convertors with a straight pipe.

Summer of 1998 was caught in a hail storm and ended up with an insurance check just short of $2000. The rear wing was previously damaged so was removed in favor of the supra style wing along with a Kaminari front air damn which is no longer on the car. I was younger then so please no rice comments.

Autocrossed the car off an on during this time. Standard suspension mods like springs, struts, swaybars, dtss eliminator, ect.....

Swapped the engine for a mildly ported 6port around 2003 and drive it a few more months then the engine died. A year later final finished another engine for it and drove it another year of so then it died. One more used engine with and eventual leaking coolant seal and I parked the car a number of years ago.

I've finally decided with permission(wife suggested it) to source another engine and do a mild restore to the car. Replace some missing performance parts I sold or loaned out. Get rid of any rust underneath or hidden elsewhere on the chassis and such.

The plan of attack will be simple. One mini project at a time. First will be the engine compartment and ofcourse an engine. Get the car running then deal with the brakes. Next it will be a little suspension work. Followed by the exterior repaint and finally freshening up the interior via steering wheel replacement and center surround for a/c and stereo. A/C will stay functional but stereo and related components will be removed.

Following are some pics as it currently sits.

mpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
RagNaRoKxXx
The Newbie

RagNaRoKxXx is on a distinguished road

Please tell me you are going to remove that spoiler. Otherwise really clean interior, will keep checking on this.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
mpm
The Newbie

The wing will be removed. Not sure if I want to go naked on the rear or add a factory wing back to it.

I've been particular over the years about the interior. Always kept it clean and covered when it was sitting without an engine. Garage kept for awhile.

I'm excited about getting back into RX-7s. Really glad I didn't sale it years ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
diabolical1
I have radioactive semen

diabolical1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm View Post
The plan of attack will be simple. One mini project at a time. First will be the engine compartment and of course an engine. Get the car running then deal with the brakes. Next it will be a little suspension work. Followed by the exterior repaint and finally freshening up the interior via steering wheel replacement and center surround for a/c and stereo. A/C will stay functional but stereo and related components will be removed.
another 6-port?

anyway, the car looks to be in great shape - all around, but particularly the interior. i'm happy to see that you're giving it another go around. are you going to stick with the black exterior?

just an aside, i'm not sure if the it's just the photo, but is that shifter a bit taller than stock?
diabolical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
mpm
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical1 View Post
another 6-port?

anyway, the car looks to be in great shape - all around, but particularly the interior. i'm happy to see that you're giving it another go around. are you going to stick with the black exterior?

just an aside, i'm not sure if the it's just the photo, but is that shifter a bit taller than stock?
To start with I will do another 6-port. I'm going to look at a 1987 6-port in a week or so that has a mildly ported engine. It runs and drives but is ugly(but then so is my car at the moment). Planning on swapping the engine and trans and assorted suspension pieces into the skunk car. Eventually I'd like to end up with a 4 port from a TII with high compression rotors and a proper N/A intake/exhaust.

Exterior will be brilliant black which is the original factory color.

The shifter is taller due to the trans tipping forward as there is no engine attached to it.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
diabolical1
I have radioactive semen

diabolical1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The shifter is taller due to the trans tipping forward as there is no engine attached to it.
a-ha ... i didn't think of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm View Post
To start with I will do another 6-port. ... Eventually I'd like to end up with a 4 port from a TII with high compression rotors and a proper N/A intake/exhaust.
sounds good. i'm currently walking slowly down that very road, myself.

Last edited by diabolical1; 02-08-2011 at 05:36 PM..
diabolical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Sideo
The Newbie

Sideo is on a distinguished road

i dont know why but i kinda like the wing on an fc
Sideo is offline   Reply With Quote