Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road
Default Mazdabaters peice of crap FC.

I was going to go through and try and find some old pictures of the car when I got it, and some of the progress shots but it's too much effort and I got some more stuff planned for the car in the near future. So I figure Ill throw up a list of mods and my plans, then throw some pics later as my build goes on.

I brought the car fairly close to stock back in september 06. Currently its mod list is

Full bare metal respray in a custom red with yellow pearl
Rmagic body kit
17 X 8" front rims and 17 X 9 Rear. Unsure on the brand however they are very light so I don't think they are cheap crap.
Extend ported, dowelled with 2mm seals (possibly loosing compression under boost. Going to be bridgeported with RA super seals next month)
Steam pipe manifold
Pro boost 55mm wastegate
Pro Boost to4z turbo (This pro boost junk is getting replaced as soon as I can afford it, or when it fails whatever happens first. Looking at going to a garret gt42r)
Turbo beanie
3" stainless exhaust with Rotaflo muffler
PWR 55mm core radiator
Spal curved blade 3000+ cfm thermo fan (wired to ecu)
Microtech LT10s with hand controller
Walrbo 255LPH fuel pump
Billet fuel rails
Aeromotive FPR with braided lines
STD primarys and Bosch Indy Blue secondarys (1600cc)
SDR 3" throttle body snout
3" Stainless IC piping
600 X 300 X 76mm Chinese bar and plate intercooler
Tein coilovers with EDFC (electronic suspension controller)
Front and rear strut braces
Front sway bar
Braided brake lines
Diff cradle has been reinforced to stop it from throwing mounts
Coushined ceramic button clutch
Blitz auto turbo timer
Sparco race pedals
RX8 leather shift knob
Momo commando wheel
Aerospeed quick release boss kit
Recaro reclineable seats
Storage bins (my cars a jspec so I struggled to find these)
Optima yellow top battery relocated to passenger bin
Carbon dash insert
Carbon radiator cooling panel
Knightsports boost gauge

That's pretty much what I can think of off the top of my head, there could be more If i find it later I will list. Over the next couple of months it's getting

Rebuild - Will most likely get bridgeported
New ECU loom installed, the original owner had it spliced into the factory loom, looks hideous.
Carbon fan shroud + the panel that goes in front of the radiator. I had made one, but after installing the new intercooler I had to ditch the stock overflow bottle, So I'm gonna make a new one without the hole in it.
New underbody tray (going to add some extra ducting to this to get the air where it needs to go)
PWR oil cooler
Bigger alternator
Working out why the hell my fuel comes back out the fuel cap.

The car is currently making around 310rwhp. Far too low for this setup have tested everything trying to find the problem, have settled with the car loosing compression under boost. Which is why it's getting pulled next month. Aiming for around 450whp.

I'm currently re installing the dash in the car, as I pulled it out to fix up the aircon ducting (stupid foam seals) and re route some wires. Ended up finding a few birdsnests of wires back there that had to be removed.

I found a couple of pics from it after the repsray. Doesn't look quite as nice now as carparks have taken their toll on my doors, and a stupid little girl scratched the back of it riding her scooter too close to my car in the units I used to live in. The car also doesn't have the wing on it or the door handle painted in these pics. I'll take some more pics of it later after I finish putting the dash back in and give it a bath, it's been sitting in the garage for a month or 2 so it's pretty filthy

Last edited by Mazdabater; 06-12-2010 at 12:11 AM..
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Nice. I demand more pictures!
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt say its a total piece of crap
'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
lh6601
Down with OPP

lh6601 is on a distinguished road

Oh god this is quality
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Mazdabater
FC3S

Possibly going to start on my new fan shroud tomorrow if I can work out why my windows stopped working. Encountered an electrical gremlin whilst reinstalling the dash. God I hope I don't have to pull it again. Here's a couple of pics of some other carbon bits I have made for her.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road

Nice, glad to have rotaryholics from all over the world!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Nismo is on a distinguished road

I really like that Mount for the Plate!

1986 Base-RB Exhaust, HKS filter, Solid Aluminum motor mounts, S5 TII motor, ACT Clutch, HKS SSQV, Light Weight Flywheel, Haltech E6X, 720cc 2ndaries, Koni Yellows, Tein Springs Koyo Rad, 250 WHP 230 FTLBS Stock turbo, and stock IC at 10psi. RIP!!

The daily bitch- 1995.5 Toyota Tacoma- Trueflow airfilter, and Bilstein HD shocks.

2009 Toyota Corolla "S" TRD Filter... 40MPG
Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
wanganwarrior
Rotary Fanatic

wanganwarrior is on a distinguished road

Thats nice. I love seeing different styles from all over the world! Looks great
wanganwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
Mazdabater
FC3S

Yeah, I kind of got over that mount plate bracket. Trying to come up with a new one. Trouble is I have to buy the carbon myself all the resin and consumables I can use at work.

Here are some more pictures. Sorry about the picture quality of some, they are taken with my phone.

This is a dash insert I made up a while ago, had white face guages in there but didn't like them so I replaced with the standard ones

These were listed in my mod list but it actually had some busted ass MOMO pedals in. They were all corroded and horrid looking so i picked up these sparco ones whilst I was down at the WTAC. Just finished installing them an hour ago. A point worth noting, if your cutting steel and you protect your carpet with a rag make sure its not an oily one. My car almost went up in flames LOL saw it quick enough.

My stereo install. Not quite finished, have to wait for a mate to get some spare time to trim it for me. Had these amps sitting there and couldn't quite work out where to put them. So I made the bracket up that covers the rear strut brace, gave me somewhere accessable to install the fire extinguisher too.

This ones how the battery ended up going into the storage bin. If i take the battery out I can get a proper photo of the mounting bracket I made up for it if anyone really wants. I went with the dry cell battery so I didnt have to worry about making it a sealed box with a vent

This is a current engine bay shot. Ive only really posted it for reference I know there is alot of dodgy stuff there which is all getting fixed up when the engine comes out.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Damn that's sexy. Those wheels look like a set Konig used to make, I don't remember the name of them though. I wanted to get some back in the day though.

Great work on the FC, it's gorgeous!
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Mazdabater
FC3S

Had a win followed by a loss yesterday. I just removed all the fuses to triple check they weren't blown and my acc wire one must have been loose. It started getting 12vDC but still wouldn't earth out, either way it worked so I got my head unit and suspension controller running again. The loss is I'm now getting an error code for my front suspension, most likeley one of the wires I cut down and resoldered behind the dash so I'm going to have to pull most of the dash again to fix it. DOH!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
prrex4ever
Rotary Fanatic

prrex4ever is on a distinguished road

Great looking FC, really like your CF work. You sir, have skills.
prrex4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
Mazdabater
FC3S

TODAYS HANDYWORK!! Sorry bout crappy iphone pics. So much useless wiring in this engine bay from the stock ECU I cannot wait to get rid of. Removing this thing was easier then I thought. Aside from the fact a silverback gorilla installed my power steering pump and oil cooler lines.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #14
Mazdabater
FC3S

Lightbulb

So to update my build so far.

Engine came apart. Got ripped off by the original engine builder (Dyson Rotary) but at least there was stuff wrong. The tuner I was paying Ben left work at the workshop I was going too, but is doing this stuff out of work for cash which helps me out alot as he is about the only guy in town that knows enough about them. Things wrong include
  • All corner seals springs completely flattened
  • 2 corner seal springs in half
  • 1 side seal 2mm too short, had been wearing on the apex seals
  • Oil control rings were dead, only half of one was found
  • Corner seal o ring things were all missing
  • Crack in the housing - repairable
  • Extend port was barely a port job at all

So this explains why I was only getting 300whp. The car made 90psi on both rotors before pulled apart, but must have been loosing all/most of its compression under load. Ben (engine builder) is getting me a quote on parts for this as he can get them cheaper then I can then thats going to get ordered/built as soon as my tax cheque clears.

Now I'm going to put my list of stuff I need to do to the car while the engine is out/before I get it back on the road on here as I just wrote it down on a bit of cardboard that will probably get lost. Ignore the prices just putting down what it's gonna cost me for my reference and its all in $au anyway.

Parts to buy
  • Front slotted rotors (ebay $155 paid)
  • 2 front wheel studs and nuts (repco)
  • Engine mounts (see ben possible poly ones)
  • Bosch coils and microtech X4 igniter box ($300 ausrotary)
  • Oil cooler ($462 PWR)
  • Air temp sensor (mazda)
  • ECU loom (microtech)
  • Microtech DASH unit ($500 microtech)
  • A/C Condenser (Troy $200ish)
  • S6 Alternater (Troy $200ish) may wait till after rebuild
  • Engine pulleys (purely cosmetic needs alt first)
  • Silicone rad hoses (Ebay)
  • Oil cooler lines (Pirtek, need cooler first)

Parts to make!
  • Underbody tray
  • Windscreen washer bottle <---- DONE!
  • Rad overflow bottle <----DONE!
  • Turbo heat shield (titanium free from work)
  • Rad fan shroud (composite, free from work. Unless I put a carbon layer over the top which I probably will that will be $70 for the metre)
  • New LIM blank off plates (free work, orignal ones done by mechanic were horrid) <---- Done
  • Exhaust side heat shielding (Probably be 301 stainless from work, titanium if there is enough for me to take without the boss knowing. Going to box off all the exhaust manifold, dump pipe and wastegate up to try and keep engine bay heat down)
  • Coil mount brackets (need coils first, will be 7075 t6 from work)

Parts to modify
  • Engine bay wiring (messy as needs to be tidied up)
  • Brake lines (got bent out of the way during respray, never got reinstalled correctly)
  • I/C Piping (need to oxy it and ovalise it between the power steering pump and strut tower)
  • Muffler tip leaking around tip (give to darrell to weld)
  • Seat mount bracket busted (give to darrell to weld) <---- DONE!

Parts to paint

Parts are painted in gloss black 2 pac polyurethane paint, as it's free i just surface prep it and give it to the painters at work. I don't like polishing stuff so I just paint it all black, was going to go matt, but gloss is easier to clean just degrease and hose off.
  • UIM <---- Done!
  • Power steering pump and A/C compressor mounting bracket <---- Done!
  • Waterpump <---- Done!
  • Front cover (Need back from ben after OMP part welded)
  • Throttle body
  • Throttle body snout

And that's about it for now. I'll put some pics up of the progress if I get round too it. I got alot to do in the next month or so. I'll just update this list as I get it done.

Last edited by Mazdabater; 07-16-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
Mazdabater
FC3S

Todays handywork! Going to clean em up and paint them monday night at work. Also managed to ruin part of my intercooler piping today, ment to flatten out the sides so it cleared the power steering pump and strut tower better, but accidently hit the top part before I realised. So probably going to remake that part next weekend DOH! Also got my seat mount bracket welded up so it's good to go!