Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Piston Engine Conversion

Piston Engine Conversion Have you replaced your rotary with a V8 or any other type of piston engine? Tell us about it!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
proraceer07
The Newbie

proraceer07 is on a distinguished road
Default FD3s with F22 swap

idk if im the first person who posted this or not, but has an F22 swap has been done to an fd3s?

proraceer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
RedR1
Brokeback Power!

RedR1 will become famous soon enough

I have seen it done once at a car meet in Orlando, FL a few years ago. I didn't catch the owners name, though. it was different, i'll give them that. He told me in the convo we had, he did it just to be different, not for a performance reason.
RedR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
lt1_fd3s
WNC Tour Guide

lt1_fd3s is on a distinguished road

F22.. is that the s2k engine? i saw an F-swap in an FD at Import Alliance in Charlotte, NC last year...

It was done by a shop that specializes in the F20/F22 engine if I remember correctly...
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
proraceer07
The Newbie

F22 is S2000 engine, i was thinking about it because if i buy an FD, i want to swap the motor out with an F22, 1jz, or a 96+ 13b motor.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
RedR1
Brokeback Power!

What do you plan on doing with the car? 1/4 mile? road racing? or just to be unique? different motors have different weights and balances, which definitely impact the handling the the chassis.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
lt1_fd3s
WNC Tour Guide

yeah, what RedR1/Chris said... what you want to do with the car should help determine what you do with it. The '93-95 REW is a great engine and from what i know, 96 they introduced the 16-bit ecu for them and then in '99 they changed the tune a little bit and turbos to get a little more power. But it wasn't anything you can't buy after market ECU and parts to do yourself.

I would recommend if it is your first rotary (or first FD) then take some time to learn the car and get to know it if you aren't sure what you want to do with it. They are a great chassis that do amazing on tracks (or in the mountains for some of us). or you can build a hell of a drag car if that's your thing...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
proraceer07
The Newbie

i do want use the fd for NASA racing and time attack, i know the 1jz-2jz are commonly used for drag racing. i wouldn't mind using the stock motor in the fd i just dont want something to go work in the car where i have to get the whole motor rebuilt.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
lt1_fd3s
WNC Tour Guide

take the time to learn the engine and research how to improve the longevity of the engine. tuning will be a BIG deal with the rotary. also, try to find knowledgeable local people around you to discuss and learn from... and if you dont know something or are curious, ask on the forum! many people here are willing to share knowledge, some might tell you to search... or heck PM me your questions and i'll do what i can to answer or help you find the answers.

but know too that you will one day need to rebuild... it's not a bad thing, just the nature of these cars... and if you are prepared and know to expect it, then it can go alot smoother. and there are several great builders out there, they can be a little pricey but can be a great route to go when the time comes... or you can try your hand at it yourself...

but main things are research, patience and tuning...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
proraceer07
The Newbie

i will wait and i will stay with the stock engine, but i just dont want a prorblem where i track it one day and then the next day the car wont start thats my fear with fd. i know the stock engine burns oil from time to time. but if i have any question i will come to you guys. i am young and i'm still learning about cars and especially about the fd, and i want to find ways to make it better.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
RedR1
Brokeback Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraceer07 View Post
i do want use the fd for NASA racing and time attack, i know the 1jz-2jz are commonly used for drag racing. i wouldn't mind using the stock motor in the fd i just dont want something to go work in the car where i have to get the whole motor rebuilt.
a 1JZ or 2JZ will throw off the balance of an FD. I don't claim to have driven all the swaps, as there's always exceptions out there, but I have driven a 1JZ swapped FD and it didn't handle remotely like a normal 13B REW powered one does. Wait until you drive your FD hard, before you decide to do any motor swaps. Especially one that will throw off the car's inherent feel. If you go into it with an FD that's already swapped, that would be ok because you won't know what you've missed and will think the FD is just another mediocre handling car.

Come at the FD with an empty slate. Try it from there. There's a reason people participate in NASA TTU and the likes with a 13B REW (OEM FD motor) and a nice, responsive single turbo upgrade and compete against Z06's, ZR1's, F430's, etc. the FD handles amazingly well. Don't be so quick to throw away it's heart (we're talking about balance here, not the rotary) in persuit of "less headache" that will cost just as much as leaving the 13B in there and rebuilding it in the long run.

Get an FD, but a quality set of coilovers (none of this garbage HKS, GReddy, JIC crap that's out there), get rid of the stock twin turbo system and get a nice, well developed single turbo kit that boosts quick with a properly ducted intake/vmount intercooler kit, get a nice thick set of twin oil coolers (Mocal or Setrab).

Its when people go racing on the cheap, that motors blow and they don't actually compete. You literally have to have a large fortune to make a small fortune. And to do NASA racing, you are literally pissing money into the wind (but having fun doing it, i do it too) but one can't put a price on happiness.

Quote:
i will wait and i will stay with the stock engine, but i just dont want a prorblem where i track it one day and then the next day the car wont start thats my fear with fd. i know the stock engine burns oil from time to time. but if i have any question i will come to you guys. i am young and i'm still learning about cars and especially about the fd, and i want to find ways to make it better.
The FD always burns oil. Rotaries in general do. Oil is injected into the combustion event for lubrication. All current rotaries to my knowledge have an oil metering pump. Pre-mixing is a must in my opinion, but you'll get there when you are closer to purchasing one.

don't expect to buy an FD and go tracking it off the bat. odds are the previous owner didn't take care of the car well, so it will probably need a rebuild in it's near future (many reasons for that). there is also a lot of prep work to go into a car before you track it, mainly making sure it's healthy. I'm not talking mods there, i'm just speaking in general. make sure nothing is loose, no risk for parts to break, etc. it's a long road, filled with spent money, headaches, and girlfriends leaving you. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
proraceer07
The Newbie

i'll take it from you guys and when i buy an fd i would want go into it without thinking about doing a swap. i'll probably just get it fixed and see what needs to be replaced and stuff.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
RedR1
Brokeback Power!

Quote:
i'll take it from you guys and when i buy an fd i would want go into it without thinking about doing a swap. i'll probably just get it fixed and see what needs to be replaced and stuff.
Not saying my way is the right way, not even trying to imply that. Just saying. . . . i've wasted a LOT of monies learning to do it the right way. Just trying to save your thousands (literally) in the long run
Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

also you may want to look at the rules of the racing organization you want to compete in before you wind up in a pitfall of ineligibility.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
RedR1
Brokeback Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
also you may want to look at the rules of the racing organization you want to compete in before you wind up in a pitfall of ineligibility.
this too, x's 405984958408394038390

i auto assumed that part
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think you're in over your head.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote