Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Rearmount 8
The Newbie

Rearmount 8 is on a distinguished road
Default Some pics of my rear mounted turbo build for my RX8

Almost a year ago I decided that I wanted to boost my RX-8 and I wanted not only a boosted car but for it to look very stock that you couldn't tell that it was boosted till I got on the gas. After several months of researching and getting parts and getting all the fabrication done, it is almost completed.

The guy to thank for this is Dave at a local speed shop in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I wanted the turbo to be a rear mount and I wanted it to have it's own oiling system mainly because I didn't want to tear into the engine just yet seeing that it is in pristine condition and the stock oil pump is crap above 9k and I didn't want the extra stress of pushing oil that far back. I wanted to have just the basic of gauges in the car but hidden to keep that stock look. Even when you pop the hood and look in the engine bay it looks like nothing was done to the car.

The charging tube is not in these pics but I will get some of it also. It is all back together now and just waiting to finish tuning. I will have some engine pics here in a few days. I don't have any here on my cpu and will take some more and post if anyone is interested. Please let me know what you think. This has been a very long project for me and very near and dear to my heart. I am just waiting for when I get this on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-2.jpg (37.8 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-5.jpg (42.1 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-4.jpg (28.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-6.jpg (44.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-7.jpg (41.9 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by Rearmount 8; 01-09-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Rearmount 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Rearmount 8
The Newbie

Some other pics. Here is the gauge pod, formerly the cup holder. I never used it for cups anyway seeing I never ate or drank in it. Which was quite tough seeing it was my daily driver for three years. Then kids come along and change that all up lol.

Yes those are the stock exhaust tips that the wastegate on the drivers side and turbo exhaust on the passenger side is going into. So from the rear with the bumper on it looks like every other 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rx8 TUrbo-8.jpg (46.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-9.jpg (41.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Rx8 Turbo-10.jpg (36.4 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Rearmount 8; 01-09-2010 at 04:11 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
05rex8
Turbo 8

05rex8 is on a distinguished road

very cool
What are the specs on the turbo?
How much power are you looking for?
What is your engine management?

I would be interested in some dyno sheets on this setup.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Kane
All about the O2

Kane is on a distinguished road

I like it! Hampton Roads huh? That makes 4 blown RX8's here that I know of.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Rearmount 8
The Newbie

The turbo is a 60 cold 80 hot T4 turbo that I got off of a friend for next to nothing which started this whole thing. For power I would be happy to see 300 at the wheels but I'm keeping my mind open on that. I'm only boosting at 11psi.
For engine management I'm using the Greddy Emanage blue and when it gets tuned I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully it all works out good.
Oh the injectors were upgraded to spit out at 750 p2 and 780 secondaries. There is this place called Injector-Rehab out of New Jersey that was able to open up my stock injectors to flow to those specs. I decided to go this route being that the car and engine only had 17k on it at the time of the build and they cleaned and balanced all six injectors as well.

Last edited by Rearmount 8; 01-09-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
05rex8
Turbo 8

Oh yeah those guys are great; I used them to rework my p2 injectors. They flow 850cc now.

I'm surprised you are bothering with the emanage blue, that thing has had limited success with our car. I am using the cobb accessport to flash tune my turbo 8. Nothing is better for this car right now IMO. Of course if you go this route you will need someone who is experienced with the accessport software for tuning. It's a must to nail down injector scaling and MAF scaling with it.

Kane, who posted above is a flash tuning guru if you have any questions about it. I'm nowhere as near knowledgeable as some of these guys.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Mobius
Rotorhead

Mobius is on a distinguished road

Wicked project!

Something I've always wanted to know with rear mount setups, what do you have for resonators/mufflers (if any) before the turbo? I can't see anything in the pictures.

Just saying, you're doing things to make it look stock....... right up until it starts.

I ran my car with an open exhaust for a little while, I can't imagine driving like that.

||| Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. |||
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Rearmount 8
The Newbie

As I said I will keep you posted on how it runs after the tuning. The guy who is doing it is very familiar with the blue and rotaries so I'm quite confident in his abilities. I used the blue cause I practically got it for free so why spend $800 if I don't need to if I can get this to work. So I figured why not, if it doesn't work then I will go a different route.

It doesn't have any resonators/mufflers but with the exhaust going directly into the turbo it quiets it down enough that it sounds almost like stock (almost) at idle and low rpm's. Now when I stomp on it all you would hear is the turbo.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Mobius
Rotorhead

Mobius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearmount 8 View Post
It doesn't have any resonators/mufflers but with the exhaust going directly into the turbo it quiets it down enough that it sounds almost like stock (almost) at idle and low rpm's. Now when I stomp on it all you would hear is the turbo.
You don't say. I wouldn't have thought that the turbo would make that much difference. The length of the exhaust before the turbo must muffle quite a bit. Any turbocharged car I've heard in person with either an open downpipe or an exhaust cutout was very loud at idle and cruise, and you couldn't hear a difference when the wastegate opened. Even a TT rear mount C6 Vette was much louder than stock.

||| Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. |||
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05rex8 View Post
Oh yeah those guys are great; I used them to rework my p2 injectors. They flow 850cc now.

I'm surprised you are bothering with the emanage blue, that thing has had limited success with our car. I am using the cobb accessport to flash tune my turbo 8. Nothing is better for this car right now IMO. Of course if you go this route you will need someone who is experienced with the accessport software for tuning. It's a must to nail down injector scaling and MAF scaling with it.

Kane, who posted above is a flash tuning guru if you have any questions about it. I'm nowhere as near knowledgeable as some of these guys.
I would argue that nothing is better than MoTeC's plug and play M800 for the RX8

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Tech B
The Newbie

Tech B is on a distinguished road

I second the ditching of the e-manage blue for a cobb accessport.

Those welds are probably going to break if you run the car hard, why not take it to someone who can professional tig and have that little bit of work done?
Tech B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

I have some concern about the filter placement...namely being near and rear of the rear tire that will most likely be tossing stuff right on the filter. Also, that it's mounted right next to the exhaust, but with airflow across there that will probably be alright anyway. I'd just be worried about picking up crap being that close to the road.

I've also heard RX-8 guys swear by the Cobb Accessport.

This is a cool project though!! I love innovation.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Kane
All about the O2

Kane is on a distinguished road

Either the Cobb or the Hymee for tuning are my .02.

The issue is that the car will unlearn anything you do to it with the blue, which is something only the RX8 does - so some of the old school guys don't know about that. The fact is regardless of your tune - dozens of engines have been blown due to the Emanage Blue.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Rotr8
The Newbie

Rotr8 is on a distinguished road

I second concern over the filter location, not only road debris but direct heat from the exhaust. I have a friend that did the STS remote mount on his VR6 and couldnt make a decent dyno until he built a heat sheild between the two...
Rotr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
05rex8
Turbo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Either the Cobb or the Hymee for tuning are my .02.

The issue is that the car will unlearn anything you do to it with the blue, which is something only the RX8 does - so some of the old school guys don't know about that. The fact is regardless of your tune - dozens of engines have been blown due to the Emanage Blue.
+1 million

this is a very important post right here

Trust us on this one...emanage blue was one of the first to be used on turbo rx8's, namely with the greddy turbo kit. Then it went emanage ultimate, interceptor-x (rewired microtech), hymee protuner and cobb accessport.

The rx8's have worked the best with the protuner and accessport; which both are flash tuners allowing use of the stock pcm. Years of research and many blown engines on the piggyback systems have proved these to be the worst option for the rx8.

Of course you will still need a tuner who is knowledgeable using the flash tuners. I encourage you to look into this. I know you got the emanage for practically free, but there is nothing cheap about turbocharging an rx8 if you want it reliable.