Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #46
FDguy
No need for 5.0L

FDguy is on a distinguished road

What happened to this?

FDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #47
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Life got in the way and the cobblers son goes barefoot and my feet are too callassed to really care anymore

RX8 coils are worthless, no one came through with a MySparkDied box and the top contenders aer as they've always been, Quicksilver coils and TII coils, TII coils are a PITA to mount though, I have gotten the QS coils under the UIM of a 13B-RE before.

The QS coils did the same power wise as the M&W CDI setup, but the idle was MUCH better with the inductive coils, I've got a set of LS2 coils so I'll test those against the QS coils if I can find another set of them.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #48
FDguy
No need for 5.0L

FDguy is on a distinguished road

I was really looking forward for the Bosch coil results. I know Full Function Engineering is going or was going to put a kit together using these coils.

I was waiting for them but them FFE said he was having trouble sourcing the coils and didn't how long it was going to take to get the coils. So I went ahead and order a set of ign-1a race coils.

Last edited by FDguy; 01-02-2013 at 10:08 PM..
FDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #49
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I love my Bosch coils, I plan on testing those vs the LS2 vs the QS coils to see who has it where it counts.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #50
88turboii
destroy, rebuild, repeat

88turboii is on a distinguished road

i recently bench tested LS2 truck coils and was not impressed. IGN-1As are decent, but im really impressed with factory FC coils which im going to stick with. im looking at using four FC trailling coils with a subaru 4-channel ignitor on my FD
88turboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
RX200013B
Rotary Fan in Training

RX200013B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88turboii View Post
im looking at using four FC trailling coils with a subaru 4-channel ignitor on my FD
Could you please explain this to me? thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
88turboii
destroy, rebuild, repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX200013B View Post
Could you please explain this to me? thanks
if you look at an FC coil, the big metal piece is the ignitor, which is basically an amplifier for the ECU ignition signal. im planning on running four FC coils, but the factory ignitors take up too much space. you could go with an aftermarket 4-channel ignitor. i happen to have a wrx ignitor laying around
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #53
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

How many amps will the Subaru ignitor support?

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #54
PSI
The Newbie

PSI is on a distinguished road

The FC trailing coils are great coils and dirt cheap but if you want the most out of them you need to charge them to 8amps or more (6ms + at 14v from memory). I'm not familiar with WRX ignitors but if they are current limiting then they'll most likely be no good with FC coils since they will probably limit to 7amps and end up overheating and splitting coils. Mitsi Evo and GSR 2 channel ignitors are non-current limiting and work great. Microtech X4 ignitors also work well with FC coils and are non-current limiting.

The ign-1a coils are badass and far better than FC coils, and the fact that they have a built-in 19amp IGBT driver says something.

The ultimate inductive appears to be ICE coils, however I'm working on an ignitor than can cope with 4ms at 24v because nothing else can so far.

BTW the ign-1a coils make more hp than M&W Pro14R CDI. The trick is finding compatible spark plugs, at least with pump gas anyhow. Alcohol is probably no problem.
PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #55
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSI View Post
The FC trailing coils are great coils and dirt cheap but if you want the most out of them you need to charge them to 8amps or more (6ms + at 14v from memory). I'm not familiar with WRX ignitors but if they are current limiting then they'll most likely be no good with FC coils since they will probably limit to 7amps and end up overheating and splitting coils. Mitsi Evo and GSR 2 channel ignitors are non-current limiting and work great. Microtech X4 ignitors also work well with FC coils and are non-current limiting.

The ign-1a coils are badass and far better than FC coils, and the fact that they have a built-in 19amp IGBT driver says something.

The ultimate inductive appears to be ICE coils, however I'm working on an ignitor than can cope with 4ms at 24v because nothing else can so far.

BTW the ign-1a coils make more hp than M&W Pro14R CDI. The trick is finding compatible spark plugs, at least with pump gas anyhow. Alcohol is probably no problem.

LOL at you and your thread on gayclub lol

Detonation can make some more power, not too good for your motor though

Your "test" is about as impartial as an Investment Bank selling CDO's
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #56
Pettersen
Rotary Fanatic

Pettersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88turboii View Post
i recently bench tested LS2 truck coils and was not impressed. IGN-1As are decent, but im really impressed with factory FC coils which im going to stick with. im looking at using four FC trailling coils with a subaru 4-channel ignitor on my FD
Why not use your FD igniter?

You should be able to get most of the info you need from this, just a few things that would be different on an FD.

How to: use a FD igniter on FC coils in an FC.
http://www.banzai-racing.com/fd_igni...all_how-to.htm

Last edited by Pettersen; 01-11-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Pettersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #57
88turboii
destroy, rebuild, repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersen View Post
Why not use your FD igniter?

You should be able to get most of the info you need from this, just a few things that would be different on an FD.

How to: use a FD igniter on FC coils in an FC.
http://www.banzai-racing.com/fd_igni...all_how-to.htm
i finally tested the FD ignitor tonight, and it seems to have identical performance as the FC ignitor.. same output and saturates at 4.5ms just like FC.

the subaru ignitor seems to put out more current than the factory FC ignitor. i can squeeze another 25% energy out of the FC coil with the subaru ignitor at 4ms

Last edited by 88turboii; 05-06-2013 at 10:28 PM..
88turboii is offline   Reply With Quote