Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #31
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

I use the liquid teflon tape.

That way an errant piece of the tape can't accidentally get into the lines. I have had that happen before.

2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

The fittings at the cooler, and at the engine, sure. Don't use them on any of the 37* flares though......unless the flare is damaged and leaking, the threads at those fittings are only there to provided positive pressure to the flares to make the seal, so teflon tape or pipe dope there won't do anything but bung them up.
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #33
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Well, she's JUST about road worthy. Going to drive it over to the shop tomorrow, throw it on the hoist and mate the downpipe, waste gate dump, and exisiting exhaust.

I've been fighting a couple issues though this week.

1) My heater fan began crapping out intermittently last year. When I pulled the dash off I found a lovely gift from CP racing, the previous owner. The logicon harness haad been molested to no end. Wires just cut with fuses placed in them, wires cut and looped back to other wires, teeing into wires that lead nowhere.......I cleaned it up and put it "back to stock" but when I put the dash in and tried the fan, no go. Grabbed my known good S5 logicon - still no go.

Somewhere, I have no idea where, there's a massive short. I have continuity to ground through both wires on the heater fan. If you try to jumper power to the + side of the fan (without disconnecting the stock harness) you just blow the fuse on the jumper wire. For now so I can defrost if I need to, I'm just jumpering power to the fan with the stock wire cut off......I'll ahve to tug the dash again down the line and really comb this bitch over......I hate finite little issues like this, I garuntee when I find I'll go "no shit that was easy" after 3 days of work

2) My laptop. Brand new acer asipre One. I bought it for the SOLE PURPOSE of tuning my car. It works absolutely flawlessly, until you're online with the ECU. Then randomly it'll go to a blue screen for 2 seconds with a bunch of stuff about terminal error, dumping physical memory - then it shuts off and restarts.......absolute BS and PITA. I'm going to resurrect the old trusty rusty unit and load the software and see what it does.

I've spoke to electromotive and they told me its a laptop issue, not specific to the WINTEC software

My luck continues!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #34
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
The plummer's tape on the oil cooler lines is a good idea. Too bad I would probably have to pull my engine to get to them. I would use the oil/gas resistant plummer's tape though, it is usually pink instead of white. It would work better in the oil cooler application. AN fittings are supposed to seal though, I mean they cost enough...they should seal. It is only after everything is installed that you find the leaks and then it takes exponentially more time to fix/tighten.
No, plumbers tape or plumbers spooge (as I call it) is a BAD idea on an fittings. The 37* flare seals the line, not the threads like NPT. Thread or spooge can only muck things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicauto View Post
The fittings at the cooler, and at the engine, sure. Don't use them on any of the 37* flares though......unless the flare is damaged and leaking, the threads at those fittings are only there to provided positive pressure to the flares to make the seal, so teflon tape or pipe dope there won't do anything but bung them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicauto View Post
2) My laptop. Brand new acer asipre One. I bought it for the SOLE PURPOSE of tuning my car. It works absolutely flawlessly, until you're online with the ECU. Then randomly it'll go to a blue screen for 2 seconds with a bunch of stuff about terminal error, dumping physical memory - then it shuts off and restarts.......absolute BS and PITA. I'm going to resurrect the old trusty rusty unit and load the software and see what it does.

I've spoke to electromotive and they told me its a laptop issue, not specific to the WINTEC software

My luck continues!!!
Nice, let the finger pointing begin. Gaurunteed if you called the laptop co they say it's a software problem Either way its better than my laptop. POS takes literally 7 minutes to load the Motec software. I can't justify a new laptop though. I usually just leave the thing booted up too. I hate that thing

Good luck Joe, let us know how everything turns out
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #35
need RX7
Clean S4 Nutswinger

need RX7 is on a distinguished road

lol spooge...

need RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #36
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Well I've got a few miles on her.

Wish I could tell you how many, but it appears I haven't clipped my speedo cable into the cluster all the way

Fixing that right now. The laptop *seems* (knock on wood) to be working ok, and the tune is actually going well. Had only gone about 20kms by the time I got most of the vaccum stuff dialed in. Now I just need to burn off the rest of this old fuel, toss in some Ontario High-test and start lighting the wick

PS: The TEC drives the tach slightly more accurately then Mazda did!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Alrighty!!

I got back from the road trip and from DGRR, AMAZING event that everyone should attend always! DJ, I'd have come out saturday night but kevin had me all pumped up for a sunrise run (4:15am EEEEK!) then left us hangin' so we went alone I was all set to drink loads american beer too...........next year!

Some interesting data I found while on the road trip (OH BTW didn't blow any engines this year -yet- so please please hold the applause! ) for starters, gas mileage.

50 Liter fill up, all highway driving, 525km's. In otherwords roughly 9.75-10L/100kms. For my 'merican friends - approximately 23MPG.

I was freakin' blown away.

Now obviously, this is an extreme highway test. we would litearlly fill up the car, get on the highway, lock in cruise at about 75mph and run until the tank was empty. If I boost the car......well, lets just say that I get viper fuel mileage! soudns faster!

That was running above 16:1 ratios as well. Its kind of wierd, but my wideband only reads to 16.00:1....so tuning those areas was "fun". I had to bascially do it blind and just run by what the car was telling me/how it feels, but I was surprised when it was still driving well that light loads/cruise areas were pegging the wideband full lean. The actual ratio couldn't be much more then 16.25 though, I just can't see that getting close to 17's would be enough fuel for it to run.

After usingthis ECU for a while though I have to say I really really like this software/way of control. Save for the stupid go$*D0vsaj mother%*$*$&ing laptop crashing on me its very nice.

In other news I've gotten my AFR's up top cleaned up all the way to redline at spring pressure - about 210KPA ABSOLUTE, or 16ish psi. The spring is supposed to be 0.9bar, but I just goes to 15 and gets real happy? I don't know. I can't wait to try frigging around the gain control though - this thing seems to come online pretty good with no help at all, that should really wake it up.

Any profecB experts out there have any advice for a guy wanting better RESPONSE, without much higher peak pressure? I do intend to have a *kill setting* though but I'll figure that one out myself
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #38
FC3S Murray
frustrated!

FC3S Murray is on a distinguished road

does the Profec have a "GAIN" setting? My Blitz SBC i-d has this setting which increases reponse OR spool time. A little goes a long way BUT too much and you spike.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #39
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Yes its got a gain setting, I'm just curious as to how much that will help if I have the actual solenoid duty cycle really low. Wanting to boost at or near spring pressure but increase response. raising boost AND response should be pretty easy.

I'll just start fiddling around I guess thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #40
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Default I love R&I of an engine

Its so much fun. Apparently my car thinks so too!!!!!!!!

I popped a seal. Again! w00t

Call me a sadist, but I'm actually a little excited about this one. I'll get into that in a sec, but first off let me list for you guys what the "classicauto solo" rebuild has stood up to so far:

1) Installed with the E6(HEX!)X when it was still having trigger issues.
2) The first 10 mintues/10 kms the engine had on it were (after a short idle) done at 15psi
3) Over 45 dyno runs
4) Somewhere around the 40th dyno run - the fuel pump fuse blew (clogged filter) and STONE COLD SHUT HER DOWN at about 18psi/5500RPM
5) New EMS, larger turbo....
6) "tuned" by me
7) Driven to the gap, "tuned up some more" by me with Masin behidn the wheel
8) Ran the shit out of it on the gap.....
9) Drove to the keys and back home......(over 7000kms)
10) Ran the shit out of it around here "tuning it some more"
11) Had the water injection off for the last tuning session, and forgot to turn it back on after
12) Blew to bits at 20psi (yes 20, from the T04-R) at around 7,000RPM

All in all, about 17,000kms of shitty tuning and hard driving. Its a hell of an improvment over my previous history of popping them in vaccum, or at 2psi while passing a truck.......on freshly rebuilt engines.

I'm excited about this for the following:

1) I get to inspect my first entirely solo rebuild
2) Inspect the coolant jacket mods I did
3) Inspect the EGR elimination to the sleeves I did
4) I get to install my NRS ceramics!!!! w00T!
5) I get to give up trying to be a tuner, I'm a body man for fuck sakes!!

I'll post pics of the carnage when I get it apart, but let me just say it blow'd up real good. Much better then before, there was only about 300C of EGT on the rear rotor....

I'll never use anything else but a rotary..........in my rotary car The skyline GTR that I don't own yet but will one day can stay inline 6 though

EDIT: I'm in touch with Logan from Defined autoworks, waiting to hear back a few things but I'm planning to use his mountains of skill (and dyno) to do the tuning on the new keg. I may be hard headed on getting and keeping this bitch running on both rotors, but damn these new seals are pricey. I'll let a real master do his thing.....

Last edited by classicauto; 05-05-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
JShiz
ZOMG WTF BBQ!!!

JShiz is on a distinguished road

lol. good luck
JShiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #42
need RX7
Clean S4 Nutswinger

need RX7 is on a distinguished road

Damn dude, are you sure you never pissed off any gypsies or anything?
At least you're staying positive about it. Good luck with this one.

need RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #43
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

Thanks guys. Before I'd say I might have pissed off gypsies - just because the failures were random. But its actually satisfying to have a "regular" failure.....at least, one that can be explained to an extent.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #44
TehMonkay
Rotary Fanatic

TehMonkay is on a distinguished road

Newer laptops can be a bitch with that stuff, thats why i bought an older thinkpad with a serial port.

TehMonkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #45
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Damn Joe, sorry to hear that. WTF is up with our luck? Are we just cursed? Did we burn down city hall and rape the mayors wife in a former life? Maybe torture some animals or sell kids into prostitution? I don't get it.

At least you're in good spirits about the thing. I tend to look at "failures" as a way to learn and make things stronger. So I'm glad to hear you're not giving up. I think most people would have by this point. After my motor blew, and after we pulled apart the donor and saw the clusterfuck ahead of us I just started blurting out everything that we needed to do and the parts that I needed to buy, A very good friend who helped out alot looked @ me and said, "jeez Bri, you just don't know when to quit do you."
Without even thinking I responded with, "Nope, and it's a strength that most don't have."

Looks like you have that strength too Joe. Good luck and we demand pics of the carnage

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote