Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc...

Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc... Place where you could talk about car care, body kits, painting your car, Carbon Fiber, Thumping Stereo, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #31
Juice
Slow & Deep Baby!

Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix7
The rear vent on the Dmax hood is not remotely similar to the cowled hood. Their openings are in similar spots but that itself does not take away from the fact that the design and effectiveness of one does not apply to the other.
I never said they were similar, just said the vent is in the same location of the cowl and thus could have the same effect. Honestly, the whole cowl idea seems kinda strange to me. I always thought those hoods were for extra clearance because they had a supercharger strapped to the engine or something. When someone explained the theory to me I was able to wrap my head around it and understand the logic behind it, but I am still skeptical without seeing proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix7
BTW The panspeed hood looks great. You're going Vmount, right?
Thanks! Yep, going Vmount with some ducting and sealing against the hood. The IC core will be hard annodized black for a stealth look and supposedly a little greater heat transfer.

Nice find on the AD9 hood. You goin vmount as well?

The reason I wanted to go with a panspeed hood was because I wanted a dedicated vent for the IC that I could seal up nicely and force air through it. I looked at a couple hoods like the AD9 but the design is way different and wouldn't be possible to do what I wanted with them. That hood will probably vent the engine bay air well and still help alot with a vmount no doubt.

WideBody 500R Vert
07 Solstice GXP - GT30R Powered, No Lift Shift, Antilag, and 3 STOCK Cup Holders!
Only thing better than Topless Boost is Topless Women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nene 7
nooooo i like my woman naked and shaved

Last edited by Juice; 10-07-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #32
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

I don't know about Vmount yet. It seems like the most direct way to the manifold but I'm not ready for it yet. It requires a lot of work and my working space is very limited.

Well, I can understand how the cowl fuctions but the vented one doesn't seem to work the same way.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #33
JunpoweR
Rotary Fan in Training

JunpoweR is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems people here are not educated on these subjects.

Cowl hood
Cowl hood Induction
Hood Vent.

Honestly it dosent matter where the vent on the hood is. Air will leave your engine bay unless your cowl hood has it's own tunnel going back into the engine bay and directed to the air filter.

The cowls you're talking about to make space for superchargers and larger intake manifolds, also still let engine bay air out even tho it is located in a low pressure area. The air comming through the front creates enough + pressure where air will be blown out from under the hood and not enter it as some people believe when " Cowl Hood INDUCTION" comes into play.
There cars have their own pathway seperate from the engine bays air. a tunnel directed to the air filter.
I am sure everyone knows me from the hood vents i started to use and make for other fellow fc owners. There was a big arguement about it's effectiveness on on track so I will be testing and posting some results sometime in the future.

the big argurement was that it lets air enter into the engine bay lessening the effectiveness of cooling the engine bay. It does the exact opposite and lets more air out of the engine bay which in turn lets more air enter the engine bay through the front past the radiator which in turn makes cooling the engine and the bay more effective.You will have a lower + air pressure in your engine bay because more air can escape meaning air has more places to escape at higher speeds.

HOOD VENT

"90 GTUs Crystal White *GT35 WB TA Project*
"90 GTUs Brilliant Black *Restoration*
1984 GSL-SE *Daily*

Last edited by JunpoweR; 10-09-2008 at 06:16 PM..
JunpoweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #34
JunpoweR
Rotary Fan in Training

BTW nice car JUICE

And Pheniox when i got some time i'll bust out the mig and well make u a v mount set up.

1984 GSL-SE *Daily*
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #35
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Juice's car is insane!! I can't wait to see it finished!

I'm down to do more work on it but first I need to make sure the car will run well.

The NA is gonna need work soon so I'm honestly more concerned about getting it running well so i can take the NA down for a while while I fix/replace crap. I just found rust by the brake booster and some wire is missing and not plugged in on the driver's side and the suspension is old, and just shit that needs to be done after 200K miles.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 10-09-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #36
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Anyone want to jump on this hood?? WE need to have someone do a test with this hood.
http://www.drifting.com/forums/buy-a...tml#post214574

Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #37
JunpoweR
Rotary Fan in Training

The hood dosen't need testing it's vented and will work.

1984 GSL-SE *Daily*
Old 10-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #38
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

not true. Just cuz it has boobs doesn't mean you can milk them.

You have to test it's efficiency to make sure you spent your money right.

Anyone can buy a hood that has a vent (I saw this on a prelude) but what's the point if the vent goes RIGHT TO THE RADIATOR SUPPORT?????

While Dmax DID test their product I think it would be cool to show the results on a rotary. PLUS, it's a real Dmax hood for under 600 bux. Anyone looking for a genuine product for cheap should jump on this.

Last edited by Phoenix7; 10-10-2008 at 06:28 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #39
nissanconvert
The Newbie

nissanconvert is on a distinguished road

This series of articles is well worth a look. There's far more science here than i've seen in most threads on the subject. But, until someone mentions at the very least wool tufts (preferably pictures at speed) i'm not going to believe that washers or an ebay duct/hood are as functional as the seller says.
nissanconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #40
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanconvert View Post

This series of articles is well worth a look. There's far more science here than i've seen in most threads on the subject. But, until someone mentions at the very least wool tufts (preferably pictures at speed) i'm not going to believe that washers or an ebay duct/hood are as functional as the seller says.

Ok, explain that picture to me then. What am I looking at?

From the article you posted:
Quote:
With extra exit vents in the bonnet preventing any build-up in engine bay pressure, best flow through the radiator is gained. (Of course, you can substitute ‘intercooler’ or ‘oil cooler’ for radiator, if in fact their exit flows are also into the engine bay.)

So the airflow through a radiator doesn’t depend on the pressure in front of the core; it depends on the pressure difference across the core. IOTW, the air exit is just as important as the air entrance – if the air exits aren’t big enough (or the airflow doesn’t pas through them quickly enough), pressure will build up on the downstream side of the heat exchanger, decreasing the flow that’s occurring through it.
The one you posted is a good one but it's of the Aerodynamic Forces of the Rx7 and I'd like for someone to explain it to me.

The ones people should be focusing on are:

Last edited by Phoenix7; 10-14-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #41
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

After reading your article it just proves Junpower right. No testing is necessary since any and all openings will always yield heat expulsion, including hood lifts, right?

With proper ducting to direct air to and through the radiator you'll maximize the radiator's cooling efficiency. If you seal off the bottom then MORE air will escape through the vents in the hood.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #42
nissanconvert
The Newbie

nissanconvert is on a distinguished road

Of course all openings will radiate heat, but you want to maximize the pressure differential across the core. Without wool tufts or a magnahelic (sp) gauge you can't possibly know. Sure you could compare your IAT's before and after but that will be dependent on a number of factors well beyond our control.

There are 2 other articles in the series Part 2 and Part 3. I would really like to see someone provide a case for a hood with evidence.
nissanconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #43
RXVERT
Rotary Fan in Training

RXVERT is on a distinguished road
Smile RXVERT Always in Progress

Heres some picts of aftermarket Hoods for ,,, and or customized on the fcs for you :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1354-hood paspeed lightweight vented hood-new.jpg (20.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1376-hoodscoop aerohood vents sexystyle 200-new.jpg (20.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P5270198.jpg (152.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 1344 ewbvv.jpg (91.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1347-hood 80A-new.jpg (41.6 KB, 44 views)
RXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #44
RXVERT
Rotary Fan in Training

RXVERT is on a distinguished road
Smile RXVERT Always in Progress

And some more: And I got alot more but I dont want to be greedy on my postings. But I could always post another day with some more picts, for you, just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waaq- 1.jpg (74.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1355 fc hood 1a.jpg (19.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1373 resizeditempics160484nkK.jpg (49.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1397-hoodscoops members_cars43cimages-new.jpg (55.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg AS345.JPG (151.8 KB, 33 views)
RXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #45
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

What's the white hood?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote