Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #31
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
For Temp, well I would get the same adapter on the front cover.... I always found it odd that people datalog the oil temp at the coldest location - after the oil coolers as it goes back into the engine - where the coolant temp is generally tapped is the hottest part, as it comes out of engine.... which is why I kinda want to probe both the front cover and the rear pedestal.... I'll probably end up welding a bung onto the front cover and tapping it that way if it doesn't interfere with the AC belts.
Or from the oil pan...

-Ted

http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #32
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Or that.... more accurate than the pedestal, but still not a true representation.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #33
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The stock ECU for purposes of fuel/ign calcs only uses the temp sensor that's on the back of the waterpump housing. The sendors on the rear iron are for just for the gauges.

Datalogging the oil pressure and temp is always a good idea, a better idea is to datalog fuel pressure, that's some good info to have.

As for where to mount the sensors, I wouldn't drill into the Mocal t-stat though, I would get something like this if you're looking for pressure

For Temp, well I would get the same adapter on the front cover.... I always found it odd that people datalog the oil temp at the coldest location - after the oil coolers as it goes back into the engine - where the coolant temp is generally tapped is the hottest part, as it comes out of engine.... which is why I kinda want to probe both the front cover and the rear pedestal.... I'll probably end up welding a bung onto the front cover and tapping it that way if it doesn't interfere with the AC belts.
Ok, as long as the oil pressure sender on the rear iron doesn't feed info to the ECU, I'll put the Spa sender there. Ok I'll get one of those fittings for the oil temp. As much as I'd like to just put the Spa water temp sender in the rear iron, I think I'll leave it where it is since it's hotter there. Or I guess it is anyway. Maybe not, since the stock sender is next to the spark plugs. Maybe I will move it after all. I like the idea of seeing what the shitty stock gauge SHOULD be reading lol.

Thanks Brian!

Last edited by speedjunkie; 07-09-2014 at 12:34 AM..
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #34
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

Anyone that wants to use the coolant or oil ports in the rear iron, they're tapped for 1/8" BSP. It's almost 1/8" NPT, which is what many temp senders are, but not quite. I've seen a lot of people "make them fit". But, when you do that, you'll destroy the threads on the sender and it will probably leak. We stock the 1/8" BSP to 1/8" NPT adapters. Easy peesy.

http://www.lms-efi.com/sunshop/index...t_detail&p=176

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Chris is 100% right on that.

The other thing to note Eric, some temp senders are 3/8" NPT, and would require drilling and tapping that fitting IFF it's big enough..... you may be able to get an adapter or drilling/tapping the fitting to 1/4" NPT and getting an adapter from 1/4" Male to 3/8" female.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #36
RETed
RCC Addict

1/8"BSP - 28 (British Standard Pipe)
1/8"NPT - 27 (National Pipe Thread)

28 TPI versus 27 TPI
TPI = threads per inch

-Ted

Quote:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #37
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Thanks for the heads up guys! The Spa senders are 1/8, but I'm not sure if they're BSP or NPT. I'll have to look on their site. I have fit them into the rear iron, but I'm not sure if it's a perfect fit or not. I'll check and if I need to, I'll get those adapters from Chris.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #38
JL1RX7
Rotary Fanatic

JL1RX7 will become famous soon enough

You can take one with you to NAPA or the like. They should have a thread "comb" to tell you thread count.
JL1RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #39
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

SPA may use BSP. The NPT fittings will thread into the BSP ports a couple turns and make you think it's a good match. Then you tighten it down and it all goes wrong.

chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #40
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Quick question to the more experienced guys. Most sites say 210f oil temp is about as high as you want to see on a rotary. This has always seemed low to me. Is it because of where the typical measurement location is (pedestal) which is after the coolers on its way IN to the engine that 210 is considered high? Because it assumes 230+ in the pan or as exits the engine directly after the pump?

I'm debating adding a oil temp gauge to my RX8 as it mostly sees track use, and am debating between a pedestal and the banjo bolt at the first oil cooler. If I put it in the banjo bolt, I'd imagine the scale of "danger" would shift to a higher temp.

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Prodigy will become famous soon enough

for people with FD's, why not tap the bango boot coming of the front cover?

Just like people do for the rear bango but before the oil gets a chance to go through the cooler (s) would that be a inexpensive option that is still fairly accurate?

J.
Quote:
There is no limit to my stubborness...... just ask any of my ex's

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

360 gamertag: Tichlis
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #42
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post

Just like people do for the rear bango but before the oil gets a chance to go through the cooler (s) would that be a inexpensive option that is still fairly accurate?

J.
I would think so, unless people have already converted to AN lines as part of an oil cooler upgrade. It'd be nice to see a port located at the oil thermostat (if so equipped)

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #43
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousP View Post
Quick question to the more experienced guys. Most sites say 210f oil temp is about as high as you want to see on a rotary. This has always seemed low to me. Is it because of where the typical measurement location is (pedestal) which is after the coolers on its way IN to the engine that 210 is considered high? Because it assumes 230+ in the pan or as exits the engine directly after the pump?

I'm debating adding a oil temp gauge to my RX8 as it mostly sees track use, and am debating between a pedestal and the banjo bolt at the first oil cooler. If I put it in the banjo bolt, I'd imagine the scale of "danger" would shift to a higher temp.
http://fc3spro.com/TECH/MODS/EL/GAUGES/otemp.htm

I think the MazdaComp / MazdaSpeed and RB #'s still stand today...

-Ted

Quote:
Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #44
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post
SPA may use BSP. The NPT fittings will thread into the BSP ports a couple turns and make you think it's a good match. Then you tighten it down and it all goes wrong.
So far they've threaded in alright. I'll have to look at them again. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to move the water temp sensor into the stock port or keep it where it is. I figured the stock port might read higher temps since it's right next to the spark plugs (and I figured there was a reason Mazda put it right there), but looking at the coolant flow picture, it looks like the hottest temps are where I have it now, right behind the thermostat, and I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousP View Post

I don't remember what my temps are during the summer (the car has been down since last summer lol), but during the winter I've seen as low as 109F and I've had my sensor in the oil filter pedestal.

As for what you're asking, that's hard to determine if they don't tell you where the sensor is mounted. I'd say just decide if you'd rather know how hot it's getting at it's hottest point, or if you want to see if the oil coolers are working so you put it in the pedestal (although you'd still be able to tell if you mounted the sensor at the front of the engine and one day you notice your oil is hotter than normal). Either way, decide which one you want, pay attention to it for a while to see what's typical and under what conditions, and keep that in mind so you can spot a condition should it arise.

Quote:

J.
I have AN lines and fittings already. But that's why I'm going to get the fitting Brian linked to. Otherwise I would think the banjo bolt is a good idea on a stock setup.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #45
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

Quote:

J.

I wouldn't want the sensor bulb plugging up the middle of the bolt where oil needs to flow.

chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI