Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

I may pick up a set of these for my FB. Since the new PAX numbers make CSP "Faster" than BSP, I am probably dropping back to STS (formerly STS2) for next year, and this is one the tires to have for the ST classes.
Of course, I may bring out the other FB, and run CSP or SSM. In that case, I may try the Falken's there.
Sheer lunacy in the new PAX numbers. N/A RX7's (SA/FB & FC) is Street Prepared trim are now theoreticly faster than a TII FC with the same level of prep.

Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #17
P71
RCC Contributor

P71 is on a distinguished road

They still have STS2. And PAX is for losers, raw time is all that matters.

2008 PDXCGP Drag Racing Season Champion

83 RX-7 GSL; 12A/5-Speed, Red/Red; 100% Stock - 16.072@83.39
01 CV Police Interceptor; 4.6 SOHC V8/4R70W, Dk Blue/Grey; K&N FIPK/RP Oil/Optima/Superchips/Flowmaster 40's/2.5" cat-back - 14.854@92.37

Read my Rx-7 Build Thread!
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ed=1#post70955
Get on the new RCC 1/4 Mile ET List!
http://www.rotarycarclub.com/rotary_...read.php?t=368
Vote for the ROTM!
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...play.php?f=125
P71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #18
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P71 View Post
They still have STS2. And PAX is for losers, raw time is all that matters.
STS is now ST, STS2 is now STS, and SM2 is now SSM. This change takes effect for the 2009 season of SCCA sanctioned events.
As for PAX, smaller regions still allow for entering 2 classes, both the base class, and an open PAX class.
The PAX index is supposed to take the cars potential out of the picture, but the newest number have NA RX7's and Miata's is a "Faster" class than the turbo versions of the same cars. Pure silliness.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
P71
RCC Contributor

P71 is on a distinguished road

And thus why I ignore the SCCA Rulebook and run "Time Only" with those dingalings. Running the "Non Porsche" class at PCA events is a lot more fun, competitive, and numerous (8 events in Portland vs 2 for the SCCA).

2008 PDXCGP Drag Racing Season Champion

83 RX-7 GSL; 12A/5-Speed, Red/Red; 100% Stock - 16.072@83.39
01 CV Police Interceptor; 4.6 SOHC V8/4R70W, Dk Blue/Grey; K&N FIPK/RP Oil/Optima/Superchips/Flowmaster 40's/2.5" cat-back - 14.854@92.37

Read my Rx-7 Build Thread!
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ed=1#post70955
Get on the new RCC 1/4 Mile ET List!
http://www.rotarycarclub.com/rotary_...read.php?t=368
Vote for the ROTM!
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...play.php?f=125
P71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #20
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

While it's true that running the NP class at PCA events is fun, the local PCA doesn't allow anything but porsche's to run. The next closest PCA does, but that's a lot longer of a drive. Plus, they hold their events at a track that has little room for error. I don't relish the thought of putting my car in the trees, and having to walk ~75 miles home, get my truck and borrow a trailer, just to get whats left of the car home. At least SCCA events have a decent margin for error, which I have been known to need..... Not often, but it does happen, even to the best drivers.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #21
FortyfiveD
Amudextrious

FortyfiveD is on a distinguished road

I'm on my second set had my first set well over the mileage I was told they would last for. I did four track days ( three at Buttonwillow and one at streets of willow) and all my daily driving. The only reason I had to get a new set was I got a nail in one and had too much camber on the wheels (which I didn't correct in time) other than that I would have still been on my first ones.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Brent
Sua Sponte

Brent is on a distinguished road

I wanted to come back and re-visit this. I was really pleased with my RT-615's when I first purchased them, and I still think they are a good street performance tire and prob. a good Auto X tire for the money, but I don't like them as a track tire. As someone already mentioned in this thread, when they fall off, they fall off hard. I've had a couple of instances where they have let go on me like an R Compound does. No warning whatsoever, air pressure is good, no warning, no making noise... just completely letting go. I'm running Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspecs now and I think they are a better tire all around.
Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFY00PAK_Ps
Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k0lJkcwrM
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #23
MaczPayne
Bah!

MaczPayne is on a distinguished road

The RT's are a great tire for the price, but performance wise, it's now eclipsed by the newer models, like the Z1 and Hankook RS3. I'll be moving to either of the two when mine wear out.

TA FC in the works!
MaczPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
Turbo II
Zoom Freaking Zoom

Turbo II is on a distinguished road

Oh hi, I'm still using them...

They've been great on the street/highway and a trip over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house (ok, a very serious road trip through the mountains) but I haven't been able to do any events with them other than tinkering around VIR a couple of times. I'm not gonna get the mileage out of them that I got of the T1Rs but I expected that. Overall I'm still pleased with these tires, especially for the money I paid for them.
1985 RX-7 GSL - Sold
Turbo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #25
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

For the money they are hard to beat, although I do easily overpower them in the lower hears. From a 1st gear roll the traction in gone by 5k and in 2nd by the top of the powerband and that's just going in a strait line. Pretty easy to get the rear loose with a heavy foot.

I will say though that it's tough to get my car to understeer which is a nice turn of events. Mileage has been great thus far (prob closer to 8k now, can't tell for sure, no accurate odometer) and the road noise is nil. Overall I'd rec them but I'm kinda leaning towards trying something different for next year. Nitto is supposed to be coming out with a really ubber high perf tire, actually I think they already have, NT-05 maybe? that's in the same price range.

Personally I cannot justify a tire at more than ~$150 when the lifespan is so short. Hell, I got close to 90k out of my last set of Bridgestone Dueller MT's..... granted they started out with 5" deep cleats and were drag slicks when I was done but still I paid about $550 delivered and then $80 at a local shop to mount and balance.

Anywho, I've been happy with them on the street and the auto-x's. I had big plans to attend a few track days but it just didn't happen. Next year

Oh - 235/40/17 and 255/40/17.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #26
MaczPayne
Bah!

MaczPayne is on a distinguished road

I need to start autocrossing again, just to even out that camber wear I'm putting on the tires!

TA FC in the works!
MaczPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #27
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

Just throwing this out there because this threads at the top and I'm here

Tried out a set of Dunlop Direzza, DZ101's on the rear of the FC (rear FK452's were killed. I are burnout happy) and I have to say - GREAT sticky street tire, but pricey. The falkens were a bit harder then these, at least going by "how-much-throttle-can-they-hold" measurement. They're also nice in the rain with a slick tread pattern.

I have used aziens in the past though, good tire, but IMO there's MUCH better stuff out there now.
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #28
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

DZ101 =/= Z1. theyre the 'all season' variety. try some Z1's and blow yo mind. or xs. or rs3. or whatever else came out this year lol
SCCA ST classes are very competitive for tire manufacturers, so whatever is being used is what you want
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #29
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Just an FYI. Discount tire direct has an $80 mail in rebate offer on any set of 4 RT-615's good thru the end of April.

Of course, the RT-615-K is coming out soon. Same basic tire with a revised compound to improve grip even more. Kinda like the Z1 "Star Spec" improved on the original Z1.