Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Events & Meets > Deals Gap Rotary Rally > DGRR Archive

DGRR Archive Threads from Previous Deals Gap Rotary Rally Events.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

Well, Looks like I was misinformed by the actual person at TN DOT..

Here is what's posted on the TN DOT website..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN DOT
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Work to clear a rockslide that closed U.S.-129/SR-115 is expected to begin early April. The Tennessee Department of Transportation will let an emergency contract to clear the slide on Monday, March 29. TDOT qualified two specialty contractors, Pacific Blasting Demolition Ltd. and Phillips & Jordan, Inc., to bid on the project. Both contractors offer specialized experience in rockslide clearance and stabilization that is needed to repair the substantial and complex slide on U.S.-129/SR-115.

The emergency contract is expected to be awarded to one of the two specialty contractors on Monday, March 29 with work expected to begin no later than April 5. This will allow contractors time to transport specialized equipment to the site of the slide in Blount County.

TDOT’s contract has a completion date of July 31, 2010.

Meanwhile, detours remain in place while the stretch of road known as the Dragon is closed from the slide area to the North Carolina state line. Motorists are advised to continue to monitor the TDOT website at www.tn.gov/tdot for updates and detour details. TDOT is also on Twitter. For up to the minute traffic information in Knoxville and the Tri-Cities follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/knoxville511. For statewide travel information follow www.twitter.com/TN511.

###

For More Information Contact:
Yvette Martinez
TDOT Region 1 Community Relations Officer
865-594-0161
Yvette.Martinez@tn.gov

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

awesome.

Can we still access the damn?

What about all the rumors about the locals cleaning it up themselves?

B/U plan? Obviously DGRRX dates aren't going to change.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

So we can't run the dragon even from the opposite end?

Is it shut down right at the biker motel? if so at least the road from there to NV is fun. And Brian I'm sure (and hopeful) that the dam can be accessed being its between the biker motel/gas station and NV.
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

I hope so. All the roads down there are awesome, but the Dragon is the Dragon, ya know? Where's DJ to rouse the locals? Fucking DOT's... seriously... how long does it take to clear a road? I'll go halfsies with someone to rent a dozer and move everything myself... damnit

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Ok, after looking @ Phils map again....

it's closed at the NC border, which is bad, but per the two arrows, it seems that the clide is way north of what is considered the dragon, correct? Hard to tell with no scale how far is 11 miles. Between the end of the dragon and the the slide, are there any turn off's or once you're on the rd, you're on the rd?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
Lastphaseofthis
The Newbie

Lastphaseofthis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
I hope so. All the roads down there are awesome, but the Dragon is the Dragon, ya know? Where's DJ to rouse the locals? Fucking DOT's... seriously... how long does it take to clear a road? I'll go halfsies with someone to rent a dozer and move everything myself... damnit
We should just but front end loaders on all the 20b Cars. and tire chains..
Lastphaseofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, after looking @ Phils map again....

it's closed at the NC border, which is bad, but per the two arrows, it seems that the clide is way north of what is considered the dragon, correct? Hard to tell with no scale how far is 11 miles. Between the end of the dragon and the the slide, are there any turn off's or once you're on the rd, you're on the rd?
Thats what I'm wondering, the slide is beyond the dragon section by the looks of it. If we could get by whatever (if any) barriers are at the bike motel you could run the dragon and turn around and come back. Even if it were just to the overlook and back.

But yeah even though the other roads are fun, they're no dragon. Will still be a good event though!
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

The event will still kick ass.

Here's the problem, while the slide is well beyond the Dragon, it's still TN's road and therefore TN's liability. NC has offered police and EMS service from the border to the slide to keep the rd open, but TN declined the offer. It's a liability thing. I'm sure the govenor knows all about the Dragon and why so many people are writing his office pleading with him to accept NC's offer. However, if he's not a total idiot, he also relizes WHY people are pleading to keep the rd open. If there's a slight fender bender and someone cuts thier leg surveying the damage, and NC doesn't arrive until 8 hrs later and that person has bled to death or contracted ganggreen, it's TN's rd and therefore Liabilty.

I don't like it at all, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

It also appears that the damn for the Friday meet and saturday photoshoot is no longer accesible either.

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
ROTORX7Holly
Rotary Fanatic

ROTORX7Holly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The event will still kick ass.

It also appears that the damn for the Friday meet and saturday photoshoot is no longer accesible either.
Where are you seeing this information? The Fontana Damn is off of U.S.28, not U.S. 129. I'm just asking, because the route from NV to Fontana Damn does not even hit the TN line.

Holly
ROTORX7Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Then I am mistaken.... I was under the impression that the damn was only accesible by 129. My mistake.

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
War Eagle
Rotary Fanatic

War Eagle is on a distinguished road

Well I don't know how much good this will do but I just wrote to the TN and NC government officials with this letter or a derivation of it:

Good afternoon Governor,

I am writing to ask for your help in promptly reopening US129, otherwise known as the "Tail of the Dragon". Please accept the offer of Graham County NC officials to support the 13 miles of US129 until the road can be reopened. The Tail of the Dragon is of significant importance to tourism in both TN and NC and your decision to close the entire road is adversely impacting the economy of the region, placing many jobs at risk. I am sure during these difficult economic times you will review your position on the matter and do everything in your power to keep the economy of the area vibrant and growing.

I am part of a large gathering of over 250 rotary enthusiasts gathering from around the nation that will be in the Deals Gap area April 15th through the 18th and your current plans to reopen the road on July 31st are unacceptable to us as I am sure it is to the businesses that depend on the road for their income. Put government to work and show us what can be accomplished when government functions for the good "of the people".

I appreciate the consideration and look forward to you willingness to promptly solve the issue.

Best,

David Hayes

Click here to get the emails of the officials:

http://www.dealsgap.com/save-the-gap/index.html

It can't hurt so we'll see.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
Kentetsu
RCC Contributor

Kentetsu is on a distinguished road

Just in case, we should have one or more of the locals putting together a map of alternative cruise routes. While there is nothing like the Dragon, there are still plenty of damned good roads down there. I found several just cruising around with the wife, getting lost, so I know they're there.
Kentetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

David, I like the letter very much. I would however like to offer my opinions on it for anyone else that would like to write in. I deal with people personally, face to face, with difficult personal situations and with many years experience, I can basically run a meeting however I want with whoever I want.

First - very well written, proffesional, courteous, generally non-confrontational. Things that anyone who wants to write in should consider. Don't attack, threaten, say WTF are you doing you tard.... these will get you no-where.

I REALLY like this phrase, point, everything about it is phenomenal

Quote:
I am sure during these difficult economic times you will review your position on the matter and do everything in your power to keep the economy of the area vibrant and growing.
The three things that I would change are

1) - the word enthusiast. I would say club members. Enthusiast has a certain conatation that we want to avoid. We want to sound like tourists, not like people that want to tear ass down the rd. That's the reason I believe the dragon is closed to the border.

2) placing many jobs at risk. While true, it might be viewed as a bit of a stretch and it's an assumption as well. I would site the motorcycle lodge by saying,
Quote:
The Tail of the Dragon is of significant importance to tourism in both TN and NC and your decision to close the entire road is adversely impacting the economy of the region; the rest area/gift shop in NC has already significantly cut back thier hours of operation due to the road closure.
3) unacceptable - I wouldn't use this at all. As soon as I read that word the entire tone of that sentence was changed. It felt a little too aggressive. Not knowing the personality of the TN govenor, we should treat it as worst case scenario. For all we know he wanted to be govenor to boss people around. Hearing a word like that could provoke a response such as, FU, I'll keep it closed as long as I want.
Quote:
I am part of a large gathering of over 250 rotary enthusiasts gathering from around the nation that will be in the Deals Gap area April 15th through the 18th and your current plans to reopen the road on July 31st are unacceptable to us as I am sure it is to the businesses that depend on the road for their income.
I would say
I am part of a large gathering of over 250 club members gathering from around the nation that will be in the Deals Gap area April 15th through the 18th. The current plans to reopen the road on July 31st are causing us great concern. This is an annual gathering that has been in planning since last year and we would love to see the road open in time for our gathering. I am sure the local businesses that depend on the road for their income would love to see it open as quickly as possible as well to take advantage of the near weekly gatherings of clubs/tourists that beautiful region brings.

I would also go on to say, I understand your concern with allowing NC to maintain and protect the road until your officials have unrestricted access to it, however I urge you to please reconsider the offer. Surely something can be worked out that is in everyones best interest.

Just me, but that's how I would, and plan to approach it when I write in. This is of course assuming that these are being read and not just tallied in an In-box

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 03-26-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
War Eagle
Rotary Fanatic

War Eagle is on a distinguished road

^Works for me. Had to try and encourage the rest of you to do the same.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #30
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

How about an online petition and link all the other forums/businesses/etc to it?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil