Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

One other thing I forgot to add. While removing the stock aux E-fan to get the condenser out, I found out why it was so damned loud & vibrated a bit much.... Turns out 1 of the 5 plastic fan blades was busted off, and the other 4 blades had various chips & cracks. So it was way out of balance.

Mazda still sells a replacement fan blade for it, at like $50. I'm thinking I can just get a universal 9~10" E-fan off of Ebay for around $20~$35, fab up a quick mounting bracket or reuse the existing stock fan frame and get better performance.

Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

I just realized I forgot to post up my results after finishing this AC project. Short story is the duster gas (aka. R152A or HFC-152A) works about as well in my restored FC A/C system as the old R12 did.

The 1st reman compressor I got was probably damaged in shipping, in that the mag clutch would sometimes stay engaged even after it was de-energized. The company I bought it from (see previous posts) replaced it under warranty, but that meant I had to R&R the compressor, evacuate/vacuum the system & recharge it again. Good thing R152A is dirt cheap - $11 for a 4 pack of 10oz cans at Walmart.

The step by step procedure I used for evacuating & charging the system with R152A is within in the first 40 or so posts here from the other forum:

https://www.rx7club.com/1st-gen-arch...gerant-997918/

The best result I got was about 7*C (= 44.6*F) temperature from the center vents at max cooling. According to the link, it should take in about 2x full 10oz cans of duster gas, but I couldn't get the system to ingest more than maybe 1-1/2 cans. Not sure why, as I followed all the tips suggested in the link to get the last can in. So perhaps my system is slightly under charged, or perhaps the new expansion valve I got, which *I THINK* is calibrated for R12, being it's an OEM replacement, might not be optimal for using R152A.

For my busted auxiliary E-fan, I found a nice 10" universal fan on Ebay for about $18 that I was able to easily adapt to fit the stock e-fan bracket. No more noise & crazy vibes when the fan kicks in.

Anyway, I'm happy with it!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

Hey, that sounds great. I think I remember it always taking less duster gas
than 134a but not sure about how the amount compares to R12.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #19
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

The OP from the other forum says the charge by weight for R152A is 20~22 oz, based on molecular weight. Since it sucks to wade thru 40-ish posts to find relevant info, I packaged the OP's instructions into a single handy PDF file - see attached.

There may be another reason why I couldn't get that full 2nd can in.... In order to retain my AC & PS with the FFE crank trigger kit, Angry Stig came up with a brilliant solution using a backwards mounted spare FC Alt/WP/air pump drive pulley & some AL spacers. Since those pulleys are smaller in diameter than the stock AC drive pulley, I'm now under driving my AC a wee bit. So it is very possible that when I was charging the system at 2000~2500 RPMs per the instructions, maybe I should have been revving it higher to draw that last can in?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Evac & Charging Instructions.pdf (194.4 KB, 7 views)