Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh
the location of the center of the tire (scrub) is all that really matters in bearing load, as well as the load itself of course. whether it be a +10 wheel, or a +40 wheel with 30mm spacer, the bearing doesnt know the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary related
You lost me here. I understand the terminology but it seems to contradict itself. Those two different wheels with the same spacer put the center of the tire at two different locations in space so it contradicts the first statement. I'm not trying to be an asshole I just want to know what your saying exactly. I agree with the first statement about the bearing load being in relationship to the center of the tire. After that I'm lost. This is why I stated you don't want to keep moving the wheel further and further out with spacers as the center of the tire gets further and further you are increasing the force on the bearings
Slow down and re-read.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
FC3S Murray
frustrated!

FC3S Murray is on a distinguished road

Good stuff here lol
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

(Looks like some replies got edited here...)

Please take a look at the Title / Subject again.

This really has NOTHING to do with bearing load / scrub.

If you want to argue those points, START A NEW THREAD.

All you're going to do is confuse people who are just looking for FC FITMENT WHEEL INFORMATION.

As a side note, HIGH offset wheels have been proven to perform better than low offset wheels in terms of suspension (design).
This is the reason Mazda went with the high offset on the FD (8.0", +50) and why Honda went with the S2K (F 6.5", +55 / R 7.5", +65).
Suspension engineers want to stuff the scrub (center) tucked as far inside as possible for better suspension geometry.
Another strike against low-offset wheels...

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup

Last edited by RETed; 01-15-2011 at 01:19 AM..
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

why'd you delete his replies? booo i like arguing

anywho, i dont think offset itself means much of anything really. all sorts of things like hub design, brake rotor thickeness, etc can dictate the necessary offset. but yah, wishbone cars can run much higher offset wheels for really good scrub + low KIA. pick one or the other with struts..

Last edited by josh18_2k; 01-15-2011 at 01:15 AM..
josh18_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #20
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Becuase we're taking a a more stringent stance on the spread of mis-information. This is a sticky and it should really only contain pertanient and CORRECT information. I also deleted all of the ramblings about wheel bearings.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
LunchboxCritter
Simply Rotarded

LunchboxCritter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorDad View Post
How exactly am I incorrect? You even stated that he might have been confused right? Okay well that says to me he was incorrect, if he was confused asking a question or listening to someone with the right idea would be a good thing.
Your reading comprehension is obviously lacking.

Momma always said, "If everyone in the room thinks that you are ignorant, do not open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Pictures?

- 91 NA to J-Spec TII
- 88 FC Vert
- 04 Rx8

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Last edited by LunchboxCritter; 01-17-2011 at 12:22 PM..
LunchboxCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchboxCritter View Post
Rotordad is incorrect. If everyone had been talking about negative offset rather than positive he would have been correct. I'm giving him the benefit of doubt and assuming his logic was simply confused, and he's not a total tard. If spacers were sold as negative sizes maybe it wouldn't be so confusing.
You are a funny guy! First off you said I was incorrect in my post, what exactly was incorrect? Again you said you "ASSUME" his logic was simply confused. That doesn't change the fact that in his argument with TED he was wrong. 2nd in my post I had never directed my comment towards any particular person, all I had stated was not to provide incorrect info. So was I incorrect to suggest that correct info be posted, so that people that didn't understand got the right understanding?
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.

Last edited by RotorDad; 01-17-2011 at 01:24 PM..
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road

Im gonna open this back up because i've been searching high and low for square wheel fitment specs and cant really find much (including photos).

I noticed TED had a lot to say. I found an old thread on the other forum in regard to the Roni n Speedworks wide body fenders. I currently have a slight interest in running those and did find a guy running a square set up with them but they were 12" wide and thats excessive for what im going to be doing with this car.

That being said I may just need to stick with the stock fenders and just fill them up well for the sake of practicality. Soooooo......... Here is what i want...

The widest I can go on the stock body (unless I can run the Ronin fenders and it no look stupid). 17" wheel is ideal .. maybe a 16.

My plan is that this will be primarily street driven but I do plan to get into some auto-x and hpd. I will also slay the dragon once a year.
'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #24
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road

I found this site http://www.rimsntires.com/packages.j...&req=newsearch a while ago when I considered replacing the BBSs because I thought my tire size was no longer available.

I shared that in this thread. . http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18916 which had a good conversation with helpful info.

Obviously limitations are gonna be with the stock suspension but there are options out there. If the above calculator is correct then you can use that to give you an idea of what is available from whatever wheel manufacturer. .
1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #25
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Zach View Post
I found this site http://www.rimsntires.com/packages.j...&req=newsearch a while ago when I considered replacing the BBSs because I thought my tire size was no longer available.

I shared that in this thread. . http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18916 which had a good conversation with helpful info.

Obviously limitations are gonna be with the stock suspension but there are options out there. If the above calculator is correct then you can use that to give you an idea of what is available from whatever wheel manufacturer. .
Thanks Zach. Obviously the stock suspension is going to be changed so that won’t really be an issue when it’s time. Thanks for those links.

By the way.... I got an email from Ronin. This is what it says:

For a square setup I'd do either

295/30r18 on 18x10.5+0 (easy fitment: the white FC on our website is mine and is basically running this)

OR

315/30r18 on 18x11+5 (more aggressive, especially fronts, some added clearancing is likely)

-Joel Payne
(for RSW)

Id prefer to run a 17” wheel so I’m unsure if simply changing the sidewall size would make a huge difference. Would it?
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #26
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

infernosg is on a distinguished road

I'd shoot for 17" wheels. Anything bigger looks strange on FC's, in my opinion. I really like the look of 16" wheels but wide tire options are hard to find. In my old setup I ran a square 16x8 +32 setup with 225/50R16 tires. That was about as wide as I could go in the front due to balancing fender and suspension clearance. A 17" wheel would have avoided the suspension (coilover locking collars, actually) due to the rim being further away from the hub.

I'm now running a square 17x9 +22 setup with 255/40R17 tires. Obviously this won't work with the stock suspension or bodywork though. I have the Shine Auto front fenders and I pulled the rear fenders somewhere around an inch. The rear would have likely fit fine with a higher offset.
infernosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #27
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosg View Post
I'm now running a square 17x9 +22 setup with 255/40R17 tires. Obviously this won't work with the stock suspension or bodywork though. I have the Shine Auto front fenders and I pulled the rear fenders somewhere around an inch. The rear would have likely fit fine with a higher offset.
Ok. That sounds good. I guess its obvious that my above post is assuming I use the Ronin fenders.... I guess we'll see what my mood is like when in comes time for that.. They look so good though.

Do you have photos of your current set up? I'd love to see it. In fact, I'd love if this thread was photos and specs.
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #28
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

17" tires are cheaper, and don't look 'donkish' on an FC. Our boy Jeff had 19's on his old FC. Ask him for a pic.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #29
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
17" tires are cheaper, and don't look 'donkish' on an FC. Our boy Jeff had 19's on his old FC. Ask him for a pic.
I never said I wanted anything other than 17". I'd prefer that or 16". The guy at Ronin just recommended what he had on his current set up. Im sure that same set up would work with 17 instead of 18.
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
almoststockfc

almoststockfc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
Its the same car in my avatar. Zach has the only picture of the car left.
-Rotary snowmobile powered go kart - DGRR 2012 Peoples Choice - RIP
almoststockfc is offline   Reply With Quote