Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

JustJeff is on a distinguished road

TTT- I'm using stock ECU...well Rtek but, you get the point. Before my engine goes back in I'm replacing any suspect areas.

JustJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

There's probably going to be more suspect area's than you think on a 25 year old harness. I've run into issues where the copper gets so brittle that I've broken it crimping butt connectors in, and then wrapping the entire chassis harness. Infact, hours before I was getting ready to leave on my epic road adventure, I noticed my front markers were out. Turned out to be a buttsplice that broke the wires and was only making intermittat contact. Pulled the bumper, fender and unwrapped most of the chassis harness hunting down that break. Sucked balls. Think of what might happen if that happens with say an injector on a boosted engine..... pop goes the rotary

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
My5ABaby
Sigh.....

My5ABaby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Think of what might happen if that happens with say an injector on a boosted engine..... pop goes the rotary
N/A > Boooooost
1986 Sport: 132k miles, 5A (Sapphire Blue Metallic), Tokico Blues, Racing Beat Springs, Custom LED tailights (only S4 LED tails in the world), SSR Mark II, Racing Beat exhaust, S5 black interior, Rotary Resurrection rebuild at 120k miles

Community Service Manual

RotorWiki

"Imagination costs nothing; we could build square locomotives or fly to Mars" - Felix Wankel

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
My5ABaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Lies!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Blasphmer!!!

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
There's probably going to be more suspect area's than you think on a 25 year old harness. I've run into issues where the copper gets so brittle that I've broken it crimping butt connectors in, and then wrapping the entire chassis harness. Infact, hours before I was getting ready to leave on my epic road adventure, I noticed my front markers were out. Turned out to be a buttsplice that broke the wires and was only making intermittat contact. Pulled the bumper, fender and unwrapped most of the chassis harness hunting down that break. Sucked balls. Think of what might happen if that happens with say an injector on a boosted engine..... pop goes the rotary
Agreed. I'm going over everything. It's been an ongoing battle ever since I started tweeking things from having my swap done a few years ago. The guy who did my wiring for my TPS, to extend the N/A plugs to meet where the turbo wiring should meet.....well lets just say it was subpar. I'll post up pics for your shock and amusement later tonight.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

When it comes to wiring, very little shocks me anymore.... it just amuzes.... sorry it happened to you though.

Just makes me wonder how many mytery fails are due to poor wiring

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #23
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

This was what I found after I started having engine problems shortly after my swap. The fuzzy picture is a cheap speaker wire someone used as a patch. Not only was it the cheapest of wire you could imagine, but the copper was corroded from one end to the other. All the dark area inside the insulation and also on the center area of the crimp is corrosion. The wire was corroded enough that the corrosion bled thru the crimp. The wire spliced in looked like it sat in the bottom of a damp trunk for sometime BEFORE it was used.

The other problems I had with almost every crimp the person made was that they didn't trim the insulation back far enough on just about any of the crimps. I had a few crimps that came apart in my hands while trying to test and adjust my TPS.

This is my replacement of the bad TPS. I swapped some from an N/A bracket to a turbo bracket and went over all the splices with solder.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

This is a little more on topic. I was trying to replace my water thermosensor plug on the back of the waterpump housing. I have what I thought were two spare S5 N/A harnesses to steal parts from. At first I thought this was a water thermosensor plug...but the notches are on the opposite side.

I'm thinking of taking a dremel to it and simply making a notch.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
JustJeff
RCC Contributor

Can anyone help me with a description of these terminals/connectors? It's from a S5 Thermosensor plug. Rather than splice some old wires into my harness I'd prefer to get new connectors and use new wiring.

I'd also love to find a new thermosensor plug like the previous post. But I'm having trouble with what to put in my searches on Mouser and similar sites. It's rectangular, female, two position, green. If anyone can help with how to narrow my search I'd be very grateful.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #26
jerry51
The Newbie

jerry51 is on a distinguished road

try https://www.allicdata.com/products.html

they might have the connectors.
jerry51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #27
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

8 year resurrection! But for future reference...

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/in.../cPath/109_172

www.corsa-technic.com

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

Corsa-Technic is the one I normally use. And if what you're looking for isn't on their site, you can contact them and they'll find it for you. They've done it for me once already.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

OHhhhhhhh Nice.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote