Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Fabrication

Fabrication Show off the parts that you've built from scratch or highly modified

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by one320fc View Post
Do you like showing off those BBS wheels ?? they are in almost every picture in a different position then the picture before
I do love those wheels. They will be the dedicated street wheels come the spring they get new rubber as they can fit my brakes without a spacer, the Works will be refinished and live on the 'vert.

I was using them for measurements and mockups etc etc as the Enkei/hoosiers hadn't shown up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
That looks like ass......

Glorious ass.

Thanks man
When are you going to get me those pieces for your overflow tank so I can weld those up?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

I'll shoot you a PM about it. I'm a bit swamped designing the HPA and getting that started and rolling (I'm basically the Chief Engineer on this project so my time is absorbed with it).

I have the basics outlined and designed, I just need to measure up the mounting locations.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hell, I caught myself doing 80mph with it a few times. Bearings got a little warm becuase the only wheels/tires I could get were some little 8" ers, need to change that.
I've done that many times, i figure the 80 KPH speed rating is just a recommendation since I have yet to have a tire failure (knock on wood). I do eventually want to put some vert BBSs on my trailer to add as a finishing touch eventually.

Quote:
Yup, that was me asking about the hitch. I actually ended up building one of those from scratch as well Used the rear tow points as a tempate and went from there. All .25" steel and 10 bolts holding it together. To take it off all I need is my Makita impact driver and about 45seconds.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pics of the hitch that you built?
Yep, I found the PDF installation manual for it too (at the bottom of post). You pretty much did it as this company did but exceeded by a few bolts LOL.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110929182706.jpg (119.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 20110929183026.jpg (113.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 20110929182739.jpg (90.4 KB, 192 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CM-11603-INS.pdf (55.2 KB, 1 views)
1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4

Last edited by FC Zach; 09-29-2011 at 07:55 PM..
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Zach View Post
I've done that many times, i figure the 80 KPH speed rating is just a recommendation since I have yet to have a tire failure (knock on wood). I do eventually want to put some vert BBSs on my trailer to add as a finishing touch eventually.
Well don't you suck, that was my idea too damnit!

I don't know what the speed rating is on mine, but I know they're definately too small. I think I to do some research into finding some like 1" to 1.5" spacers.... cuz I REALLY want to use my 'vert wheels..... Or I even thought about using 2 of the enkei spare wheels

Quote:
Yep, I found the PDF installation manual for it too (at the bottom of post). You pretty much did it as this company did but exceeded by a few bolts LOL.

Haahahaa... yup, a little bit. The one thing that I REALLY wanted to make sure of was that I could do was make sure that I could take the damn thing off as quickly and as easily as possible because it does weigh a fair bit.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Soooooooooooo let's get back to the last 2 batches of pics I have before I need to do some more work and take some pics.....

So after quite of while of packing up the entire trailer as if I was heading off to the track, I took a length of pipe, suspended it between 2 cinderblocks and found the proper tongue weight, I marked that location and started pulling some measurements off the axle and transferring them to the trailer frame. Then I drilled holes from both the top and the bottom, and took some 3/4" OD .125" wall tubing and cut that to fit. The bolts for the trailer are .5" so they'll fit inside that tube just perfectly. The fear was, as I cranked down on the bolts to mount the axle, the 2" square tubing would deform. So I decided to support it with the round tube installed.

Oh yeah, I had already run the wires for the lights at this point

All 4 ready to go

Very tight, and very almost ready to be welded.

And finished welded in place. The snake survived and ended up being exactly where it needed to be,

Closeup before I sanded everything down because the bracket needs to be flush mounted

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst21.jpg (156.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst22.jpg (160.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst23.jpg (127.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst24.jpg (155.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst25.jpg (124.1 KB, 189 views)

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

I cut the brackets for the lights out of .185" AL, and yes it was a tremendous PITA. The lights are LED and very bright, very easy to install/take out

1/2x20 SS Socket caps to attach the axle to the frame. Very pretty, I think they'll ook even better when the frame is powdercoated

So far I love the axle, it may weigh as much as the entire frame, but it's very soft and very forgiving. I'd rec Dexter Axle for just about anything.

Here's the inside of the box, those are 3/8 fine thread SS socket caps that are bolted through the trailer frame to secure it.

And here you can see the wiring, just about the only part of the wiring you can see. The wiring goes down the tongue to that gussett, comes out of the tongue, into the gussett where it spits to the two different lights through the frame I like it, it's pretty clean... Hopefully I don't need to add any other lights as it would be a PITA.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailerpst26.jpg (94.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst27.jpg (150.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst28.jpg (108.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Trailerpst29.jpg (131.4 KB, 190 views)

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Well don't you suck, that was my idea too damnit!

I don't know what the speed rating is on mine, but I know they're definately too small. I think I to do some research into finding some like 1" to 1.5" spacers.... cuz I REALLY want to use my 'vert wheels..... Or I even thought about using 2 of the enkei spare wheels
The TII spares? Not a bad idea! although I would still worry about the load/ speed rating of the "temporary use only" tires being used on a trailer.
1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
hades
Rotary Fanatic

hades will become famous soon enough

Bitch you bought a box instead of making one. For shame!

Jk- looks really nice.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #24
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
The TII spares? Not a bad idea! although I would still worry about the load/ speed rating of the "temporary use only" tires being used on a trailer.
The 'vert and FD had the enkei spares didn't they? Either way, I'd be swapping the tires out becuase that temp use thing worries me too. Even though there's 250 lbs on it as opposed to 700lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Bitch you bought a box instead of making one. For shame!

Jk- looks really nice.
Actually, I didn't buy it, 'twas a gift for doing the roof racks on the VW. Either way though, the thing was $400 delivered, think about how much I would pay in materals and shop time, then how long it would take me to weld it up..... it was actually cheaper to buy the damn thing than build it... soooo yeah,

Thanks man.... I gottta hop on it and finish it so I can have it inspected Thursday

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Not to nit pick but I'd put some grommets on your aluminum holes where your wires are traveling through. Having had wires short out in a similar setup it became a pita to try and track down the issue.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #26
ReZ311
KM48 Burnout

ReZ311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not to nit pick but I'd put some grommets on your aluminum holes where your wires are traveling through. Having had wires short out in a similar setup it became a pita to try and track down the issue.
Nice. I was also going to suggest an electrical wire plastic cover.
- 12 BMW X5 Diesel
ReZ311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #27
Raksj04
I have Ultra power in me.

Raksj04 is on a distinguished road

I wish I had the tools to weld AL. my Hobart 180 is 1000 miles away. sad face I miss so so much. Living in the barracks sucks.
Raksj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

Some sexy looking welds T. I've always wanted to try ally but you sorta need 3phase power for a decent welder, can't do that in a rental. Then again my stainless skills are still pretty average lol. I'm with you on buying the toolbox though, I thought about making one a while ago. Buying decent rollers costs more then most boxes on the market lol.
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #29
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Sooooooooooooooo I figured out how to make the 'vert wheels work... I think... Need to pul one off tomorrow and verify a measurement, but if I'm right, oddly enough it will be an aftermarket Jeep part that makes it possible.... and some new 5x4.5 hubs courtesy of NorthernTool.

Quote:
Planning on it.... Also need to de-pin the connectors and get some Raychem or that expandable sleeve tubing on the wires.... that shit right there is just sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ311 View Post
Nice. I was also going to suggest an electrical wire plastic cover.
Wait till you see the pass-through's for the 2ga battery cable Wait...... why would someone need 2ga battery cable on a trailer? Ok, maybe 4ga... I need to check my stock to see what I actually have left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raksj04 View Post
I wish I had the tools to weld AL. my Hobart 180 is 1000 miles away. sad face I miss so so much. Living in the barracks sucks.
That blows, I couldn't live without my tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabater View Post
Some sexy looking welds T. I've always wanted to try ally but you sorta need 3phase power for a decent welder, can't do that in a rental. Then again my stainless skills are still pretty average lol. I'm with you on buying the toolbox though, I thought about making one a while ago. Buying decent rollers costs more then most boxes on the market lol.
Thanks man. I need to get back into practicing TIG welding SS. I was doing alot of really thin shit and it wasn't turning out so good, so I said fuck it and just MIG'ed everything that was SS. BUT, with some future plans that I have, I need to sack-up and get practicing.

Sooooooooo with the exception of a few "finished" photo's withen the next few days, the trailer project will be put on hold for a while as the car needs a little rear end attention before a 2-day track event in 2 weeks. Oh well.... that and I'm waiting on some parts for some sexy finishing touches as I had a few good ideas tonight.

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #30
ReZ311
KM48 Burnout

ReZ311 is on a distinguished road

Someone is going to put a generator and a welder on that trailer.
- 12 BMW X5 Diesel
ReZ311 is offline   Reply With Quote