Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > 20B/3 Rotor Conversion..

20B/3 Rotor Conversion.. All things to do with 20B/3 rotor... Post pics, video, tech, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Oh I will Even if it blows up on the first dyno pull, and I mean REALLY blows up as in the case flex's and the gears sheer teeth, then I will say - yeah, the trans is weak. But if they keep failing in the way that I have ALWAYS seen them fail, then no, I will continue my stance that the trans is just as strong as the others, just built with looser tolerances and an inherant design problem.

Like DJ said though, alot of it is in how the trans is shifter.

Personally I HATE the Type-R box. I hate everything about it. I hate the ratio's, I hate the weight, I hate the fact that it shifts worse than any of the trucks that I've owned. The only good thing about it is it's a known strong box that can take ton's of torque.

What is the inherent flaw? How do you usually see them fail? Also what drive shaft would you use to make this work in the fc? That seems like another obstacle.

'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
Local RX-8 owners have been all blowning up their transmissions, and the local Mazda dealers are tired of dealing with it.
That's basically my "direct" experience with them.
I guess you can argue that the local RX-8 drivers don't baby their transmission...

-Ted
When taken as a group I doubt the HI crowd is any harder on their teams than the group in CT
I doubt that they are blowing apart, stripping gears, breaking shafts or anything else that I would co wider blowing up. I bet each tranny could be fixed with minimal effort/parts. Why Mazda doesn't do this I don't know. FWIW the earlier Raisin boxes found in the Miatas were a better design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Inspired View Post
Titanium,

They were just replacing them. I had a 2nd gear grind occassionally on my 8 when I had it w/ the Aisin trans. I have yet to take the Aisin tranny apart so you may know more than me here on the interals, but I haven't had any problems w/ the TII tranny behind the 20B I helped w/ and that is where I make my recomendations. I just can't imagine putting down that much power the added torque the 20B produces and expecting the 8 tranny to hold. It might be better w/ straight cut gears ie dog box, but again I have not tried. I am just going on what I have seen and had a hand in.
Again, its not a strength issue with the trans. I cannot stress this enough, all the failures the I have seems and spoken to owners about have NOT been caused by applied torque. The TII box is more RELIABLE, I'm not doubting that all I am saying is I have never seen a Renni tranny blow up. I've seen plenty of failures but never seen one destruct from torque
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
What is the inherent flaw? How do you usually see them fail? Also what drive shaft would you use to make this work in the fc? That seems like another obstacle.
Its allowing the 2nd gear hub to over extend itself and jam. Trans doesn't shift and sometimes won't even rotate. People assume.... Key word.... That its blown when in reality its completely usable after disassembly. Stock TII driveshaft with a slight mod should work. I'll update y'all in a few weeks when I get it back.
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Its allowing the 2nd gear hub to over extend itself and jam. Trans doesn't shift and sometimes won't even rotate. People assume.... Key word.... That its blown when in reality its completely usable after disassembly. Stock TII driveshaft with a slight mod should work. I'll update y'all in a few weeks when I get it back.
So this is still a problem even in the newer model 8's? Ill have to be completely honest. It sounds like a pain in the ass. I mean, who wants to have to randomly pull apart their tranny to fix somethin like that? Im still ridin the fence on the subject but if you can convince me it wont be a problem then im cool. I honestly dont have beef with the TII tranny. Although ive only driven one and i only have my honda tranny, NA 7 tranny, and a hyundai santa fe tranny to compare to hahahah
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
So this is still a problem even in the newer model 8's? Ill have to be completely honest. It sounds like a pain in the ass. I mean, who wants to have to randomly pull apart their tranny to fix somethin like that? Im still ridin the fence on the subject but if you can convince me it wont be a problem then im cool. I honestly dont have beef with the TII tranny. Although ive only driven one and i only have my honda tranny, NA 7 tranny, and a hyundai santa fe tranny to compare to hahahah
As far as I know, yeah, it's still a problem. We're working on resolving it with my trans, which is based off the 8. Honestly though, I despise the TII box, I hate the chunky fucker. The Renni box is much nicer to drive, it's just dealing with that hub and properly limiting the travel. We have ideas and will hopefully be pulling it apart friday. It'll will work, I promise you that. Take a look at the ratio's and tell me that it's not a better trans for any ported engine.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

ill give the ratios a looksy. havin a 6 speed would be kinda cool
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
Renesisking
Rotary Fan in Training

Renesisking is on a distinguished road

I have an RX-8 with over 85K on the tranny and I've had no issues. I know quite a few people that ran Esmeril Turbo kits or even the Greddys and they've had no issues with the bump in torque. I was talking to Dave at KDR and he said as long as its within reason and you don't drive like a maniac you won't blow through your tranny (same goes with the motor). Him and I have been tossing around the idea of dropping a NA 20b in my car all while using my same transmission. Since I plan on keeping it in NA form, Dave said the RX-8 transmission will do just fine. As far as the balancing goes, you are just better off taking weight off of the front end than you are adding weight on the rear. I didn't think you could move the 20b back 6 inches in the FDs.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #22
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesisking View Post
I have an RX-8 with over 85K on the tranny and I've had no issues. I know quite a few people that ran Esmeril Turbo kits or even the Greddys and they've had no issues with the bump in torque. I was talking to Dave at KDR and he said as long as its within reason and you don't drive like a maniac you won't blow through your tranny (same goes with the motor). Him and I have been tossing around the idea of dropping a NA 20b in my car all while using my same transmission. Since I plan on keeping it in NA form, Dave said the RX-8 transmission will do just fine. As far as the balancing goes, you are just better off taking weight off of the front end than you are adding weight on the rear. I didn't think you could move the 20b back 6 inches in the FDs.
I must say I agree with Dave and with your experiences regarding the trans.

You could move the engine 6" back in the FD, you'll just have to cut the firewall out and fab in a new one. Sounds easy right

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #23
Renesisking
Rotary Fan in Training

Now you got me thinking about how much I'd have to cut on the 8 in order to get a proper balance. There was a company that was supposed to make a bolt on subframe. They were trying to go about it two ways, I'll try to copy and paste his website link on here, once I find it. They haven't gotten very far as of yet, and I am hoping they do it soon. One of the ways was supposed to come with a subframe with mounts pushed back and a shortened drive shaft so that the steering rack would remain in the same place. The other was a relocation of the steering rack and something else which I cannot remember.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

im kinda startin to like the idea of this though. now that i know its not gonna take some outrageously priced custom drive shaft.
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #25
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

From what I have seen, people who don't know how to shift like a man, but rather a gorilla, are the reason for most transmission failures.

May I present: http://raceroots.com/index.php/produ...cro-saver.html

This should help the retards from overshifting and tearing them up.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
From what I have seen, people who don't know how to shift like a man, but rather a gorilla, are the reason for most transmission failures.

May I present: http://raceroots.com/index.php/produ...cro-saver.html

This should help the retards from overshifting and tearing them up.
bahahahaha... silly retards
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #27
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Thats actually a cool idea. i like it.
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #28
Renesisking
Rotary Fan in Training

I have one, but never put it on.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #29
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

looks like it would work well. these guys must really be pounding through the gears though to be doing that damage. I dont know that i would need one of those but it would be a decent preventative measure though. seems over priced...
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #30
Renesisking
Rotary Fan in Training

You can find them on RX-8 club used for cheap-ish.