Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) > Archives

Archives All the stickies in one place

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
need RX7
Clean S4 Nutswinger

need RX7 is on a distinguished road

How did you line up the quill to weld it? Did you just eyeball it, or is there some kind of precise measurements you need to do?

Last edited by need RX7; 05-12-2009 at 07:46 PM..
need RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #17
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I welded it while at it's resting position. There was ALOT of tension keeping it in one place and required a decent amout of torque (although I had 0 leverage) to get it to move one direction or the other. I just welded it where it layed.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
SleepeR1st
The Newbie

SleepeR1st is on a distinguished road

I've done this modification also. I recommend it to anyone who attempts to remove the power steering.

The hardest part for me was finding someone in my area who can weld aluminum. Otherwise everything was very simple and literally you take it apart in said order, then put it back in said order. Simple
SleepeR1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
Black91n/a
Rotary Fan in Training

Black91n/a is on a distinguished road

I've got a welded 15.2:1 rack and I love it. I daily drive it on 17x8, 30mm offset wheels and 225/45/17 high performance tires and I recently did 2 days at the track with 15x9, 20mm offset wheels and 225/50/15 race tires and it was fine as well. I don't mind it at all and I quite like the feel and speed of it, but I'm also a 6'3" tall Rugby forward, so a little effort doesn't bother me.
Black91n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

I always pictured you as a little guy

So after the first auto-x on the rack, yeah it kicks ass. It was a REALLY tight course and not once did it hinder. In fact, I think the power-steering would've gotten ahead of itself with some of he slalom to tight radius turns so I couldn't be happier with it. Very rec'd mod for anyone with some upper body strength.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
fire85gslse
RCC Addict

fire85gslse is on a distinguished road

Nice!

So who's going to start doing this work and charging? And where do we sign up?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #22
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

I'll offer the de-power. No list to sign up for, if you're interested just PM me and we'll work something out.

-Brian

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 09-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
LuckySeven fc3s
fc3s_nataku on rx7club

LuckySeven fc3s is on a distinguished road

pm sent
LuckySeven fc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Now that I've completed this myself, I thought it worthwhile to add some additional input and offer up some details.

First off. It is pretty straight forward. If you've got access to a MIG welder, even better.

Following Brian's write-up you should have no trouble at all completing this task. Here are some things I've done different (slightly) for those (like me) who don't have ALL the tools required (TIG for example).

The biggest difference in how Brian did it versus mine was not the modification of the rack itself (I removed all the same bushings and removed the metal spring from the o-ring as well) but it comes when dealing with the quill housing.

I didn't have a TIG or access to one even. The threads are M12x1.25 and M14x1.25. The depth is up to you really, but you will need to order/find set screws this size to plus those holes. I added some teflon tape just to be sure. Its not a pressured system any longer, this is more to keep dust/debri out.

Also, during my rebuild, I had a torn dust cover for the rack. For those who have been faced with this as well, or just want to replace them here are the parts #

Beck Arnley (makes most of Mazda Genuine Parts):
Drivers Side: 103-2689
Passenger Side: 103-2691

They are two different sizes as noted in the image below. The smaller of the two goes on the passenger side. The larger on the drivers side.

Other than that - Brian's write up is spot on. Just wanted to add what little bit I could.
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
sen2two
KTEC

sen2two is on a distinguished road

damn, what happened to the pics on the first page?
93 Touring: TRADED - 91 Coupe: TRADED - 90 GTU: RHD - 88 10AE: SOLD - 87 Base: SOLD - 86 Base: SOLD - 1985 GSLSE - 85 Gsl: SOLD - 80 Gs: TRADED - 1972 Rx2
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

I linked them from TeamFC3S.org and that place has apparently been down for months. I've gotten PM's from a few people asking me to fix the pics from a few threads. I don't have the pics on this computer. They should be on an older machine that I gave to my mother a few years ago, just need to get there and try to find them.

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

infernosg is on a distinguished road

I was able to get some of the pictures to show up by plugging the URL of the first page into Way back web. Maybe 2/3 of the pictures are showing up for me but that's better than nothing for visual learners like me.

EDIT: So I understand how to keep the tie rods in the correct location for reinstall (measure, mark, whatever to keep toe settings) but what about actually "centering" the rack (steering wheel is straight = wheels straight)?

Last edited by infernosg; 05-02-2011 at 10:53 AM..
infernosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #28
Tanj!
Rotary Fan in Training

Tanj! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosg View Post
So I understand how to keep the tie rods in the correct location for reinstall (measure, mark, whatever to keep toe settings) but what about actually "centering" the rack (steering wheel is straight = wheels straight)?
Typically one would mark the top of the quill and where it mates to the drive shaft linkage before disassembly to get it all hooked back up basically in the right place. But since we are actually taking apart the rack that doesn't work. You could measure the amount of rack that juts out on each end when quill mark is face up and just reproduce those measurements and mark that as your new up.

Since i'm replacing inner and outer tie rods and updating to a power rack from a manual one and lowering the car I plan on just measuring revolutions from lock to lock and setting it halfway when doing the install and just matching the amount of thread showing for the tie rods between the two sides. I can eyeball it a bit but I already know I'm going to have to go get an alignment done afterwards so I'm not to worried.
Tanj! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
FC3S.USD
The Newbie

FC3S.USD is on a distinguished road

Re-Posting with Pictures TitaniumTTs posts.

This is a great write up and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by FC3S.USD; 12-27-2011 at 09:36 AM..
FC3S.USD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
FC3S.USD
The Newbie

FC3S.USD is on a distinguished road

I put this write-up on TeamFC3S.Org but since that site has seemed to have died, and there are alot of people here that I didn't know there, I decided to take the time and bring it over here for all to enjoy.

Bill can hopefully chime in on the feel of the steering, seeing as how he was in my car and playing with the steering wheel at DGRR.

So, here we go. (I'm linking the pics so if they don't show up someone please let me know as I still have the originals saved)

There have been NUMEROUS debates about the "right" way to go about this. I have heard people say things from, "Meh, just loop the lines and you'll be fine," to "All you have to do is remove the belt" and I've even heard that it cannot be done I see a few problems with all of the above statements. The seals that make the rack a power rack are still intact and there is going to be a bit a fluid left in the rack that you'll constanly be pushing around. There is no way to avoid this unless you take the time to pull the rack apart, remove all the fluid, and even the seals. See the pic below.

That seal on that shaft is one of the enemies. You can also see on the rack above the two different lines entering the rack. When you turn the wheel you are opening valves that allow fluid under pressure to be pumped into one of the two chambers that this particular seal makes. By leaving that seal intact you are needlessly pumping air and fluid around the rack. This effects the response and overall feel of the rack. If that seal is left in place and you cap the lines, you will constantly be fighting pressure and vaccuum when turning the wheel. You cannot escape physics.

Now, mind you the "feel" is all subjective and alot of people will say looping the lines feels fine but I think the only real way to de-power a power steering rack is to remove everything that makes it power to begin with. Novel idea I know but alot of people don't have the time or the patience or the inclining or the tools to do such a thing and becuase of those reasons I think alot of n00blet type mis-information gets spread around.... So lets get started.

Start with a Powersteering rack. They are identified by the lines... that I already took off damnit. This one happens to be a 15:1 from a parts car that was hit in the passenger front. Subsequently the inner tie rods where both spent.

I may be old but I'm pretty hard-core and luckily I have a friend with a true Manual if I hate this one. Actually I do primarily auto-xing and want to get into some road racing so the tighter the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg De-Powering 015.jpg (90.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg De-Powering 002.jpg (126.3 KB, 83 views)
FC3S.USD is offline   Reply With Quote