Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Motorsports and Events > Drifting

Drifting All things sideways

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Here we go again...

I think I remember this...guy...from the evil forum.

*sigh*

I dunno...I have no problems driving my FC around as a daily driver even with the bazillion pot holes that just opened up due to the recent rains.
I doubt yours would ever make it out of one.

I dare you to try and drive that thing down here.
You'd get ticket and even impounded for no "recon".
You won't be able to even pass recon in the first place.
Go bitch at law enforcement about "proper" and "safe".

Hey, I give you credit for pulling the rear fenders...
Fricken FC rear fender wells are a pain to pull at all!

-Ted

http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup

Last edited by RETed; 12-21-2010 at 09:52 PM..
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
Chance
You all know nothing.

Chance is on a distinguished road

Obviously you have some really odd special metal on your cars in Hawaii, because I did my fenders by hand by myself, and what the fuck are you doing driving into potholes, you have a steering wheel and unless your eyesight is fucked you can avoid them unless you are a fucking paraplegic

My car doesn't need to pass laws, it's actually cool enough to where cops pull me over to check it out not because it's a trying too hard car.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

raugh out roud
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
RotorDad
Big Ugly

RotorDad is on a distinguished road

1st of I'm pretty sure he goes by SlideAlliance on the other forum. 2nd did you honestly join this forum just to argue? 3rd your pics have nothing to do with the topic, your fenders have been altered. It's simple & not my opinion you have stretched the tires beyond the manufactures limits. If you like it, fine. If the set up works for you, fine. Does it actually fit, maybe. Does that make it correct, NO. You wouldn't make it down my street, without leaving half of your car there. Making something fit by making the car impractical is not the right way of doing things. With that said I'm not going to bitch. 1st it's your car, so do what you want. 2nd until I see some info from a tire manufacture stating that it's safe & acceptable to stretch the tires & you show me that your set-up proves to be better then another around the track, you are not making a good case. It's pointless to argue style, because everyone is different. Now arguing actual performance is something where data can be collected & reviewed.
2006 MazdaSpeed 6 - Eagle, Wiseco, Cobb, ect.

Last edited by RotorDad; 12-21-2010 at 11:21 PM..
RotorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Obviously you have some really odd special metal on your cars in Hawaii, because I did my fenders by hand by myself,
Nah, I don't like beating metal till the paint starts to crack off...
I'd like to try and keep the car looking decently rather than some getto rig shit that you guys seem to think it's "cool".

Quote:
and what the fuck are you doing driving into potholes, you have a steering wheel and unless your eyesight is fucked you can avoid them unless you are a fucking paraplegic
Oh sorry I'm not like you Superman...
I guess you've never driven into a hole and never will the rest of your life...
Give me some of that crack you're smoking...

Quote:
My car doesn't need to pass laws, it's actually cool enough to where cops pull me over to check it out not because it's a trying too hard car.
Yeah, cause you're a track bitch...
Yeah, yeah, I remember.
You just want other fanboi's to drool over your piece of shit.
I see you're still living in your fantasy world.
Like I said before, give me some of that crack you're smoking.

GTFO

Keep trying to slip some new reply in before you're banned.

No, seriously...

-Ted

Quote:
Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
Chance
You all know nothing.

Chance is on a distinguished road

I want to see the data in which it says the tires do not perform as well stretched vs. "fit" vs. bubbled honestly because all any of you are doing is bitching like a bunch of little six year old girls without any real proof. Formula 1 used to stretch tires more than they do now but it also seems like they were faster through corners back then.

If you don't like it, don't do it. The fact that you call it the "evil forum" just proves you are nothing more than another douche bag and this forum hasn't caught on to it yet.

I would much rather be a track bitch than just a regular bitch who gets his feelings hurt over nothing. I drive my car on the street when it's not snowing or I'm not actually making my car gobs better than your "proper" car. Keep digging for cut downs, they never worked in the past and I guarantee they aren't going to get any better with age for you.

As far as the metal goes, I could REALLY make you look stupid but you aren't worth anyone's time. Stretching and forming metal after it's been slightly heated means the paint doesn't crack or chip. Try to keep up simple minded.

Last edited by Chance; 12-21-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #22
RETed
RCC Addict

oh well

Quote:

Last edited by RETed; 12-22-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Old 12-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I want to see the data in which it says the tires do not perform as well stretched vs. "fit" vs. bubbled honestly because all any of you are doing is bitching like a bunch of little six year old girls without any real proof. Formula 1 used to stretch tires more than they do now but it also seems like they were faster through corners back then.
Wow, last time I checked, tire engineers are running as wide a tire as they can slip on the wheels.
In fact, FIA put limits on tire widths.
There is no minimum tire width.
Go figure.

Another bullshit lie.
Stick to thinking you car looks pretty, cause you don't know shit about Formula 1.
It's a disgrace you even bring it up.
Don't do it again.

Quote:
If you don't like it, don't do it. The fact that you call it the "evil forum" just proves you are nothing more than another douche bag and this forum hasn't caught on to it yet.
I don't like it.
I will not ever do it.
Deal with it.

Quote:
I would much rather be a track bitch than just a regular bitch who gets his feelings hurt over nothing. I drive my car on the street when it's not snowing or I'm not actually making my car gobs better than your "proper" car. Keep digging for cut downs, they never worked in the past and I guarantee they aren't going to get any better with age for you.
Feelings hurt?
You're still giving yourself too much credit.
I still daily drive me FC.
That's all that matters.
It don't care what you say or what you think.
Keep thinking otherwise.

Quote:
As far as the metal goes, I could REALLY make you look stupid but you aren't worth anyone's time. Stretching and forming metal after it's been slightly heated means the paint doesn't crack or chip. Try to keep up simple minded.
That's alright...
Shrinking and stretching metal causes paint to loosen from the metal.
DUH
The metal will peel off.
DUH
It's physics.

Oh sorry, you're smoking good shit, and you live in your fantasy land which you can do no wrong.
DUH

You bend the laws of physics.

Good for you!

-Ted

Quote:
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
RotorDad
Big Ugly

Ok Tire manufactures have been designing tires for sometime now & they all have min & max wheel sizes listed for each size of tire they offer & most have a recommended size listed. To say that stretching a tire beyond their recommendations is better is to say they don't know what the fuck they are doing! Now if they are wrong it's the first I have heard. I'm sure they have done the right testing above & beyond anything us as the consumer would ever be able to do. If tire stretching is all that great then why do the manufactures & installers not warranty the tires if they will even install them.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #25
sofaking
The Newbie

sofaking is on a distinguished road

The manufacturers don't recommend stretching tires because they have to plan for retards. If you curb check hard enough it will break the bead and your tire will deflate. Crazy... good thing that can't happen with non-stretched tires. Oh wait...

I've got 215/40-17s on a 17x9.5 on the front of my car. And it sees the track every drift event we have locally (even been out of state). I've not had any issues at all with the tires doing anything out of the ordinary. Stretching the tire gives it predictable characteristics on the track, removing the ability for the sidewall to roll negates having to correct for it.

You guys are arguing shit without any backing. I personally have experienced stretched tires on the track. I have personally pushed them past their limits and had no ill effects. You can argue that it's a style thing (and it partially is), but trying to claim that it doesn't work is stupid. I've never had a tire shop tell me they couldn't mount the tire, or wouldn't warranty it because of the stretch.

If you want to argue the science of it, please explain how having the sidewall strong enough to support the weight of the car under the pressure of air is any different at a 45 degree angle as opposed to a 90 degree angle. Seems to me that at a 45 degree angle it could spread the weight along the sidewall just as easily.

Also, Chance is right. Avoid pot holes. Clearly we take more pride in our cars and pay more attention while driving. Your argument there seems to be more that you don't want to be proactive in keeping your car looking nice. P.S. not stretching your tires won't save you from curb checks and pot holes. You can still fuck up your wheels.
sofaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #26
RETed
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
The manufacturers don't recommend stretching tires because they have to plan for retards. If you curb check hard enough it will break the bead and your tire will deflate. Crazy... good thing that can't happen with non-stretched tires. Oh wait...

I've got 215/40-17s on a 17x9.5 on the front of my car. And it sees the track every drift event we have locally (even been out of state). I've not had any issues at all with the tires doing anything out of the ordinary. Stretching the tire gives it predictable characteristics on the track, removing the ability for the sidewall to roll negates having to correct for it.

You guys are arguing shit without any backing. I personally have experienced stretched tires on the track. I have personally pushed them past their limits and had no ill effects. You can argue that it's a style thing (and it partially is), but trying to claim that it doesn't work is stupid. I've never had a tire shop tell me they couldn't mount the tire, or wouldn't warranty it because of the stretch.

If you want to argue the science of it, please explain how having the sidewall strong enough to support the weight of the car under the pressure of air is any different at a 45 degree angle as opposed to a 90 degree angle. Seems to me that at a 45 degree angle it could spread the weight along the sidewall just as easily.
Let's take your stretch versus a similar car with the proper fit tires ACCORDING TO TIRE MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS and see who runs the faster time on the track.

Oh wait!
You guys don't that kinda thing!
Can grip drivers a bunch of dumbasses and retards, right?

Quote:
Also, Chance is right. Avoid pot holes. Clearly we take more pride in our cars and pay more attention while driving. Your argument there seems to be more that you don't want to be proactive in keeping your car looking nice. P.S. not stretching your tires won't save you from curb checks and pot holes. You can still fuck up your wheels.
Take pride in your cars?
Bondo...
Unpainted panels...
Mismatched paint...
Misaligned panels...
Wavy panels...
Stickers up the yang...
You gotta be kidding me right?
I guess you like auto body by BFH, huh?

It's funny we got a thread in the drifting section talking how getto drifting is...

-Ted

Quote:
Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #27
RotorDad
Big Ugly

SofaKing did you used to have a white 240sx & a member of Boostedimports? Ok back to the subject I'm not arguing without backing it up. I can name at least 9 tire shops in my area alone that will not stretch tires at all & the ones that will mount them will not warranty them. So because you and other do this that I guess is proof of what? Why is that when I look at most of the professional D1 cars it doesn't appear that they have overly stretched tires. Like I said above you all are right & the tire manufactures are wrong. BTW would you trust a product if the manufacture didn't know what they were doing? Avoiding potholes & road debris is not a clear cut as you make it seem. On my way to work there are numerous potholes & can be hard to avoid if you didn't regularly drive that route. I would think that your first post would be some sort of intro not jump in to an argument. You say the members here aren't backing their argument, but your only backing is that you use this type of set on the track. Who ever said that the others here didn't have track experience. Hey if you provide real data from a professional (same car non stretched vs. stretched) & can find me a tire company that would suggest tire stretching I will with no problem apologize & admit being wrong.

Last edited by RotorDad; 12-22-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
sofaking
The Newbie

sofaking is on a distinguished road

1) I didn't say that running stretched tires makes you faster. I said, "Stretching the tire gives it predictable characteristics on the track, removing the ability for the sidewall to roll negates having to correct for it." Learn to read. Arguing with logical fallacies and misunderstood points doesn't make you right (I guess technically in your mind it does). I made a statement and I've put it to the test in the real world and it does exactly what I said it does.

2) @RETed Do you know anything about drifting? I liken it to rally from the standpoint of damage to the car. If you can afford to re-paint your car every event that's awesome. Most of the pros can't justify that. Not to mention that there are people that give anything a bad name and tend to try and look shitty because it's inevitable that they're going to destroy something nice. Drifting is a sport of style, looks fall into the style category.

3) @RotorDad There have got to be a bunch of morons in VA. Out here in Colorado we understand you can't warranty a tire for camber wear and drifting on them. Like responsible people we deal with the consequences of our actions and buy new tires when we need them. It's sad that they've resorted to denying warranties to stretched tire owners. No doubt related to dumbasses doing dumbass things. I'd be curious if there is a real reason behind this or if its just some old dude arguing how they never did it back in the day and technology hasn't changed and nothing has been made better since 1902. (I love these arguments, they remind me of the one I'm having right now.)

4) Sounds like you would get a ticket for following too closely. If you're driving at the legally suggested distance you can react to potholes before you hit them.

5) I'm not asking you to "admit you're wrong" I don't really care. I just decided to hop on here and argue because I'm bored and you're idiots. Find something where someone didn't hit a curb or a pothole and had problems with their stretched tires. I haven't seen any information to back up that it doesn't work well. I'm capable of saying that I'm sure having the sidewall vertical probably offers better performance (in a grip racing situation). But since you're all arguing about how you have street cars and drive them on the street, you're not pushing the tires to the limit anyway.

On another note. No, I have never been on Boostimports. Also, is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of both of your screen names?
reted, retard
rotordad, retarded
I'm just glad to be able to argue with people at length about things they have no experience with. I look forward to the incredibly insightful replies that I'm sure are coming.

Last edited by sofaking; 12-22-2010 at 10:27 AM..
sofaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #29
classicauto
crash auto?fix auto

classicauto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
1) I didn't say that running stretched tires makes you faster. I said, "Stretching the tire gives it predictable characteristics on the track, removing the ability for the sidewall to roll negates having to correct for it." Learn to read. Arguing with logical fallacies and misunderstood points doesn't make you right (I guess technically in your mind it does). I made a statement and I've put it to the test in the real world and it does exactly what I said it does.
Sidewall roll is not the largest variable in your suspension setup unless you're running 14-15" wheels with really tall sidewalls. A ~40ish series sidewall on a low profile tire for a 17-18" wheel doesn't have much flex. The difference between a fitted low profile tire and a stretched low profile tire is extremely low with regards to tire flex. The predictability you're experiencing is due to the smalelr contact patch being easier to control then the more grippy, wider, proper fitting tire.

Saying something works on the track doesn't make it right. I'm sure you've seen the mythbusters where they cut a car into bits, including the roof, duct tape it together and thrash the shit out of it.

Given the fact that you can duct tape a car together and have it survive a beating on a track (ie. you can stretch your tires and have them not pop off or fail) doesn't make it correct or the right way of doing things.........nor the best way.

Quote:
3) @RotorDad There have got to be a bunch of morons in VA. Out here in Colorado we understand you can't warranty a tire for camber wear and drifting on them. Like responsible people we deal with the consequences of our actions and buy new tires when we need them. It's sad that they've resorted to denying warranties to stretched tire owners. No doubt related to dumbasses doing dumbass things. I'd be curious if there is a real reason behind this or if its just some old dude arguing how they never did it back in the day and technology hasn't changed and nothing has been made better since 1902. (I love these arguments, they remind me of the one I'm having right now.)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....9&AID=10398365

Tire recommendations. Rim widths vs. tire widths. Sure, a shop can stretch tires on for you. Sure they can tell you THEY (the shop) might warranty the tire itself from falling off the rim or would help you if there was a problem - but THE TIRE MANUFACTURER doesn't warranty any tire installed on the wrong size rim. Phone any tire maker you wish and ask them, its just not true. The shop might be willing to help you if there's an issue but don't confuse that with the tire company actually warrantying the tire, or reccommending its installed on inappropriate sized wheels.

Quote:
4) Sounds like you would get a ticket for following too closely. If you're driving at the legally suggested distance you can react to potholes before you hit them.
You know, there's no reason to be an idiot we can all have big boy conversations. We are all human. I'm sure you've hit pot holes. I've hit pot holes. Whoop dee doo. Is a pot hole going to just destroy a rim outright? Depends. It could happen with or without stretched tires. However, you must be able to admit that given physics and a tire's job, if there is rim epxosed -such as with a stretched tire- that there is a higher likelyhood damage can happen due to the rim being more vulnerable then when it is covered by a tire completely........yes?

Thank you for gracing our forum.
classicauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

I haven't read a whole lot since my last post, but I think the pothole argument is ridiculous. First of all, I also live in Colorado, and I have yet to see a pothole here as bad as the ones on Ft Bragg in NC. I was driving one of the back roads in my 97 Prelude with stock wheels and tires and potholes covered the entire road, I'm assuming from the Abrams crossings or something haha. Anyway, yes it was night and vision wasn't the best, but I was dodging constantly and still hit a pothole and blew the stock tire and bent the stock rim. I would love to see what it would do to your stretched tire. To say someone hits a pothole because they're retarded or any other reason is retarded in itself. If you haven't driven the roads they drive how can you or Chance claim to know so much about their potholes or how easy they should be to miss?

Where in CO are you anyway? Maybe your potholes are harder to miss yet your skills compensate, but I doubt it.

I will not run a stretched tire on my car, but I'm not going to jump into the tire debate because it's pointless. I will admit that maybe running a stretched tire will help in drifting (I've never drifted so I can't make claims for or against), and not stretching a tire is better for grip racing and for the street in general, but neither side will concede to each so it's pointless to argue. This should be added to the list of things you don't speak about at the dinner table, along with politics and religion.

Oh, fun with names.
RETed- probably Rotary Engine and his name is Ted
RotorDad- probably because he loves rotaries and he's a Dad
So let's see, sofaking...retarded? Is that last part missing?

Let's see what brilliance you come up with for speedjunkie. I'm prepared to take namecalling, let's see if you are. Or we could just stop with the childish name calling. What do you think?

I also tend to have a real problem with people that sign onto a forum just to start shit. I'll say my goodbyes to you now for when Brian gets back on with his banhammer for spammers and trolls.

Last edited by speedjunkie; 12-22-2010 at 11:37 AM..
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote