Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Carburetors and Carb Tuning..

Carburetors and Carb Tuning.. All info about old school carb set ups..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #16
Jeff20B
Rotary Fanatic

Jeff20B is on a distinguished road

I think I got mine to work right. I screwed the stud all the way down, then all the way out and observed the pressure. Some progress. Then almost all the way down and almost all the way up. Even more progress. I was actually able to watch the guage needle move as I cranked the stud. Real progress! I finally setteled on about 5 psi for the Edelbrock. Then I fired it up to an idle and it was right around 5.1 according to the guage. You know how guages can be. I was really only interested in whether the carb would continue to overflow and leak down the side, or actually stay dry. It seems to like 5 psi and even drove ok. I'll leave it there for a while to check for consistancy.

Jeff20B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #17
Sterling
Premium Vendor

Sterling is on a distinguished road

Chris, is your tank vented properly?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
orion84gsl
Rotary Fanatic

orion84gsl is on a distinguished road

Hard to say. Sometimes it does the WHOOSH when I pull the cap off close to empty, but lately it hasn't been doing it, or I haven't been noticing. I'll have a look in my Haynes and check it out.
orion84gsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
Sterling
Premium Vendor

Sterling is on a distinguished road

It really needs to be vented.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
orion84gsl
Rotary Fanatic

Well I checked my Haynes manual but it doesn't illustrate any way to properly check if the fuel tank is venting. Can anyone tell me the correct way to check?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
orion84gsl
Rotary Fanatic

Well I spoke to the shop I got my regulator from and they said they see this problem alot. They got me a replacement Holley reg and sent my old one back under warranty. Unfortunatly this did not solve the issue, so either my gas tank ventilation isn't working correctly, or both regs are garbage. Can anyone point me to another regulator, preferably of higher quality than the Holley's that can operate between 1 and 3 PSI?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #22
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

To check for proper fuel tank venting, wait till a hot day, and pop the fuel cap off. If lots of air rushes out, you have a vent problem.
As for FPR, Mallory makes a decent one, but they're pricey.
The Holley/mr gasket and many lesser known brands are all the same, just a different package. They are also very problematic, as you have seen.
Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
PercentSevenC
Custom User Title

PercentSevenC is on a distinguished road

Mr. Gasket, Spectre, Purolator, and possibly others are the same and seem to be reasonably reliable. Holley is different, but still non-return style.

Malpassi also made a low-pressure non-return regulator, but I don't know if they still do.

Last edited by PercentSevenC; 08-13-2008 at 04:26 PM..
PercentSevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #24
orion84gsl
Rotary Fanatic

Okay well now I know for sure it's not ventilating properly. Lots of whooshing this summer. Can anyone give me some pointers for fixing the problem? Does it involve dropping the tank? *cringes*
Old 09-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
Jeff20B
Rotary Fanatic

The dumb little checkball thing is probably malfunctioning, as I suspect was happening on percent's car. It is located above the rear end, bolted to the highest pont of the floorboard. It connects to the vent nipple on the tank, has two other connections; one running over to the frame rail and the other is the small tube running to the engine bay.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #26
Rogue_Wulff
Non Member

Rogue_Wulff is on a distinguished road

First place to check for tank venting issues, is the charcoal canister under the hood. The small hose on the CC is the tank vent. That nipple has a tiny orifice inside it, and that can clog easily. A fine wire or torch cleaning tool works great for opening that orifice up. In extreme cases, a 1/8" drill bit will put a permanent solution to the problem.
Rogue_Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #27
orion84gsl
Rotary Fanatic

OK thanks Jeff and Rogue, I'll give those a try next time I get a chance to work on the car. Appreciate the help.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
BigTeddy
Rotary Fan in Training

BigTeddy is on a distinguished road

Main problem with not getting a good reading on the reg's is sometimes he/she run to big of return line on the fuel...which is not allowing the fuel press reg read correctly...In that instance fuel is just flowing to from and back from the tank however it feels with no built up pressure....

On my setup with the racing beat intake mani and holley 600 i don't have a return...there is no need...press reads fine and is set at the desire i want it and the carb will only take what it wants either way...So all in all its a win win situation
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #29
PercentSevenC
Custom User Title

PercentSevenC is on a distinguished road

It's worth noting that the Mr. Gasket regulator Jeff installed on his Baja the other day failed, causing gas to gush out all over the engine. Upon closer inspection, it's different from the older Purolator that he replaced it with. The Purolator said "made in USA" on it, but the Mr. Gasket one didn't say anything, and seemed to be of lesser quality. It was probably made in China or something.

So, I withdraw my recommendation for that regulator style. Jeff's Holley reg on his supercharged car has been doing its job since he got it working correctly. My Malpassi appears to be of good build quality, but I don't think they are in production anymore.
PercentSevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #30
Jeff20B
Rotary Fanatic

Man what a gassy mess. I threw on one that was old when I got it, ten years ago. It still works fine. Quality USA stuff, there.