Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
ryosuke138
The Newbie

ryosuke138 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Swap!!

I have recently got a S2000 chassis. For the engine I am thinking about pulling one out of an RX8 and am wondering how I should go about that. I would love suggestions, and can hopefully keep yall updated throughout my journey.

ryosuke138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
ryosuke138
The Newbie

ryosuke138 is on a distinguished road

Would I use the harness from the rx8 or the s2000? cheers!
ryosuke138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

So you have an S2000 roller and you want to put an RX8 engine in it? As much as I love rotaries, this project sounds like a downgrade to me - much easier & less costly to just find a running S2000 engine to drop back in there.

IF you insist on the RX8 motor swap, you'll need the RX8's ECU, wiring harness and probably a bunch of other crap from the RX8 to make it work. Or go with an aftermarket standalone ECU & custom wiring harness and figure out how to get it to run right. Not to mention all the mechanical fabrication involved in installing the RX8 motor, exhaust & necessary plumbing bits into an S2000 chassis. I'm not up on all the details, but the RX8's ECU not only manages the engine, but it's tightly integrated with other systems on the RX8 (e.g., power steering, stability control, dash/instruments, ABS, etc.) which won't be on your S2000, so there's that shit show of problems to deal with too.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:08 AM   #4
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

I would recommend the something like the Adaptronics RX8 standalone. It has full CAN bus support, so you could probably run most things on your car, or do it the other way around and use the one for the S2k and rewire for the engine. Second option is probably your best bet.

My honest opinion though.... you're putting a less reliable, and less powerful engine into the S2k... If you really want a rotary, at least get one that can handle more power like a T2, RE, REW, or 20b. It still wont have the same reliability as the F20 blocks, but at least you can make some respectable power.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote