Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
seanbumalmighty
The Newbie

seanbumalmighty is on a distinguished road
Default Single turbo conversion opinions wanted!

So I have made up my mind and decided to do a rebuild on my 13b. That being said I should also rebuild my twins or go with a single conversion since they are getting old. I'm leaning more towards a single conversion because I figure it will be easier on maintenance as well as clean up a lot of that vacuum rats nest! So my question is. What is a good turbo I can use that will make the same power as the stock twins and be able to utilize the stock injectors? or is that not possible? Thanks in advance. Btw I'm not knowledgable on turbos so sorry for the noob question.

1993 FD3S Touring
seanbumalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do any aftermarket turbo on completely stock (550/850) injectors. You can keep the 550cc primaries, but step up to at least a 1300cc secondary (bored out 850cc, still side feed), and with that you can still use the stock fuel rails. The only turbo I've dealt with that even comes close to the spool of the stock twins is the Borg Warner EFR7670, and you get more power too. It's a bit more money, but if you get the internal/integrated wastegate (IWG) along with everything else, you won't have to pay for wastegates, bov, and a couple other things. I absolutely love mine. It starts spooling around 2000rpms. It's just more money up front, but as far as I'm concerned it's worth every penny. As far as using the 550/1300 injectors with it, I'm not sure. I've heard of people using them with a GT35R, which is probably the most common turbo on FDs over the last decade or so.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
seanbumalmighty
The Newbie

seanbumalmighty is on a distinguished road

^ ok sweet I'll look Into that!

1993 FD3S Touring
seanbumalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

Got a customer who smashed on a Precision PT6266, 1.00A/R with stock primary injectors and ID2000 secondaries with PFC I tuned (when it was stock 13B-REW, then again when he mild street ported it).

On stock porting it spooled just like the stock sequential twins only difference it had another 100bhp !

Cheap as fuck turbo off ebay, plain bearing, and works well.

Now he runs it at around 25psi and molests gearboxes just touching the throttle, you will see video of it on my youtube channel

riceracingdonmega (youtube name, get on it)
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Turblown
Rotary Fan in Training

Turblown is on a distinguished road

We have many many choices for single turbo kits, and probably do more than anyone on the planet for rotaries( 20+ a month).

http://www.turbosource.com/Turblown-...ing-s/2039.htm

If you need any help or advice feel free to call or email.

TurboSource - Performance TurboChargers, Inconel Heat-Shields, and Adaptronic Distribution
Turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Skeese
The Newbie

Skeese is on a distinguished road

do you have an aftermarket ECU? You will need this to control the fuel changes required regardless of injector change.
Skeese is offline   Reply With Quote