Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
DieselDakota
The Newbie

DieselDakota is on a distinguished road
Default Intercooler data logs wanted

Kind of a long shot as very few people probably have sensors set up for this but its worth asking.

I'm looking for some data logs that include rpm, boost, pre intercooler temp, and post intercooler temp at a minimum. any engine porting would also be useful data to know.

Basically I'm in my last term in chemical engineering and one of my classes has a pretty open ended project. I'm designing a new intercooler type that would operate on some unusual principals. Most likely it either won't work near as good as a traditional intercooler or it will be unreasonably large, either way I need some data from a current system to design and compare against. I would pull some data wit my car but I don't have the time or money to make it happen quickly enough. does anyone have some data lieing around?

DieselDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
DieselDakota
The Newbie

Bump again, this project is due in 3 weeks so I'm gonna be hopeful and bump it up a few more times before I move onto another option.

my two other options are find a data log for another vehicle type, which I would rather do my rx7 for as I will find it ore interesting, or to do it for the rx7 theoretically using compressor efficiency's and some correlations to try to estimate what the post turbo/pre intercooler temps would be.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I have all that data in logs.... but you'll need to download and install the Motec I2 software to see it.... and then have to hand input all the data-points. To my knowledge it doesn't spit out an excel sheet for easy calcs....

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

OP, rather than taking direct measurements, or getting folks on the forums to do the same, have you tried searching for existing automotive research papers that already have such data that you can reference instead? I'm thinking papers published by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), etc...

I did a quick Google for the term "intercooler performance papers" and this is the first one that came up. Looks like it has exactly the kind of baseline data you're looking for (Temp in vs. Temp out). There may be more relevant data out there, but I don't have the time to dig further

http://www.academia.edu/3806153/DESI...AN_INTERCOOLER
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
DieselDakota
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_89T2 View Post
OP, rather than taking direct measurements, or getting folks on the forums to do the same, have you tried searching for existing automotive research papers that already have such data that you can reference instead? I'm thinking papers published by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), etc...

I did a quick Google for the term "intercooler performance papers" and this is the first one that came up. Looks like it has exactly the kind of baseline data you're looking for (Temp in vs. Temp out). There may be more relevant data out there, but I don't have the time to dig further

http://www.academia.edu/3806153/DESI...AN_INTERCOOLER
Its a pretty low key assignment and I was hoping to avoid research papers, but you are correct that would be a great source of information, a part of me was also hoping to get data from an FD so that I can design this thing around "my car" instead of just some generic turbo car. I haven't started the project yet as I have my huge projects due in the coming weeks and a half and this one isn't due for three weeks.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
DieselDakota
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
I have all that data in logs.... but you'll need to download and install the Motec I2 software to see it.... and then have to hand input all the data-points. To my knowledge it doesn't spit out an excel sheet for easy calcs....
I'll keep this in mind, I'll send you a pm in a little bit.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

TiT

and we are all a part of the same compost pile.

Last edited by chibikougan; 04-02-2015 at 02:49 AM..
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
DieselDakota
The Newbie

my bad I'll stop defending howard then. I never said his ideas were right etc just that there seemed to be alot of hate for a guy trying to help for no reason. well I guess I found the reasons

Last edited by DieselDakota; 04-02-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

It's an on going thing with two or three people over on rxsuckitclub that portray themselves as rotary gods when in fact they really don't have a clue.... They pay their opinions as fact and do more harm to the community than good. HC has never once made an event that he's attempted, can't keep an engine together on the dyno, constantly rips people off and is generally considered a shit stain skidmark on the rotary community. The older members who know better call him out on it and when e do, we get banned, then his shit breaks and he blames it on some utter bullshit theory or something so blatantly stupid people just laugh at him. He disappears and doesn't answer one simple questions, did you blow your shit up again? Instead he'll go around spamming the forum with copy paste info or some complete and utter bulshit math that to his own admission he created in a way to easily compare things because he can't read a fucking compressor map! I get being a finance guy and anal-yzing things 7 ways from Sunday but I don't pretend to be an engineer like he does. The guy is a fraud anyway you cut it and because he pays to be a vendor he WAS basically untouchable. A few of us made enough noise and got two peoples mod privileges revoked. Fuck him, and the two others.... The need to go buy a Honda and start drifting

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
DieselDakota
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
It's an on going thing with two or three people over on rxsuckitclub that portray themselves as rotary gods when in fact they really don't have a clue.... They pay their opinions as fact and do more harm to the community than good. HC has never once made an event that he's attempted, can't keep an engine together on the dyno, constantly rips people off and is generally considered a shit stain skidmark on the rotary community. The older members who know better call him out on it and when e do, we get banned, then his shit breaks and he blames it on some utter bullshit theory or something so blatantly stupid people just laugh at him. He disappears and doesn't answer one simple questions, did you blow your shit up again? Instead he'll go around spamming the forum with copy paste info or some complete and utter bulshit math that to his own admission he created in a way to easily compare things because he can't read a fucking compressor map! I get being a finance guy and anal-yzing things 7 ways from Sunday but I don't pretend to be an engineer like he does. The guy is a fraud anyway you cut it and because he pays to be a vendor he WAS basically untouchable. A few of us made enough noise and got two peoples mod privileges revoked. Fuck him, and the two others.... The need to go buy a Honda and start drifting
Thanks for the Coles notes