Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #91
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

On another note, I had to go buy a dremel bit to finish cutting out some of the cast alloy from the power steering pump mount, fuck me it was $25 from bunnings, and the tungsten carbide ones were 40 =O can get em for free from work lol. Same with drill bits, the cobalt ones I use are like 20 bucks each. I forgot how much consumables cost lol.

Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #92
Mazdabater
FC3S

So I'm back on full hours at work next week finally. Means I can go in on fridays and start making some shit up for the FC so I went back in and started doing a bit.

My V-Band clamps for my exhaust turned up, I got them off ebay for cheaper then it was to buy the flanges locally. Turned out I could have gotten them cheaper too as the guy that sold them too me was an ausrotary member, and noticed my username but I had already paid. Ah well.

So I cut the flanges off my de-cat pipe and put the new v-band ones on, put one on the end of the dump and stuck it in the car. It sat in there alright. I think it was like this with the previous setup, the rear of the de-cat was lower then the front, and I wanted it to angle to the left of the car more. Also a long story short when my manifold got changed, way back when I first brought the abortion of a turbo kit they had to route the plumb back of the wastegate differently, which annoyed me as it was no longer a straight flow but an S shape. So fuck it , I cut the dump pipe up, I'll correct the angle the cat comes out on and plumb it back in straight at the same time.

I was going to continue however my dropsaw disc bit into part of the dump when I was cutting it and took a chunk out of it, will get a new disc from work tomorrow.

How it did sit

Going to fix the dump/wastegate

Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #93
Mazdabater
FC3S

Well I managed to get a little in today got the cat sitting where I want first go, so that's all sweet but fuck the angle on the plumb back for the wastegate was deceptive took me ages to get it right. It's not perfect but the gap around it's small enough for me to fill. Almost out of gas on the welder and need to get a couple more drill bits from work so I can chain drill out the hole in the dump for the wastegate plum back. Here's how it's sitting now.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #94
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

Looking good you cripple bike accident ****
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #95
Mazdabater
FC3S

Eh, I really want a new manifold and turbo. Fucking hate looking at that chinese shit lol. Well the manifolds not chinese but it's based off a chinese one. The V-Band clamp on the back of the turbo leaks, and I can't change it because of how it's welded onto the exhaust housing. But I'm at the point where I wanna just get the basic shit done and get the car running, then play with the other shit later. Been 2.5 years now since I got to drive her. Time to pull the finger out.

Odd question cunts, can you see any issues with my cramming some roof insualtion in behind the heat shield for the exhuast under the car, just wanna make it a bit cooler on my feet. It's gonna corrode the heat shield isn't it.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #96
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabater View Post
Odd question cunts, can you see any issues with my cramming some roof insualtion in behind the heat shield for the exhuast under the car, just wanna make it a bit cooler on my feet. It's gonna corrode the heat shield isn't it.
If you mean that pink or yellow insulation that's used in residential construction, that stuff doesn't like getting wet. When it does, it will take a pretty long time to dry out which is just asking for corrosion. Also not sure what temp that stuff goes up in flames - near an exhaust might be too hot.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #97
Mazdabater
FC3S

Eh, had some money for a short period there was about to get all the parts and then the washing machine crapped out. Dropped $1000 on one and a new dishwasher on the weekend. But I did manage to get this box full of strange parts

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #98
Raksj04
I have Ultra power in me.

Raksj04 is on a distinguished road

I think the cloth heat shleid stuff they sale at part stores would be good for keeping the heat off of your feet. they even make tape like that.
Raksj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #99
Mazdabater
FC3S

Not much progress with the car. Spent some money and made a decent work bench, still need to get one more sheet of ply to put the last 2 shelves in. SOOO MUCH BETTER having a decent bench to work on. My FPR rocked up as well. Am planning on having the exhaust and manifold finished by next month, possibly even the fuel system and should be able to buy the new turbo around then. Fingers crossed

Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #100
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raksj04 View Post
I think the cloth heat shleid stuff they sale at part stores would be good for keeping the heat off of your feet. they even make tape like that.
Just read this part of the thread...

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that...AIR is a great insulator.
No need to worry about that fiberglass sh*t.
Don't know if asbestos is banned in your part of the world, but that's nasty stuff.
Don't need to worry about getting the insulation soaked in water...

Use the thinnest stainless steel sheet that'll hold up without burning a hole through it.
Make two shields so they sandwich - air becomes your insulator in between.
Try to keep contact between the two shields to a minimum.
Bigger the gap between the two, the better the heat shielding, of course.
If you want to get more complex, run a small air duct in between the two for more cooling.
Very little maintenance to worry about...
Little bit more involved to fabricate, install, and remove, but I think it's worth it...

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #101
Mazdabater
FC3S

Throwing an update on my 2 year old thread, damn things have changed. The car had been on the backburner for a fair while. I've got some of the main parts for it now so things can start happening. Changed my mind on a few things too. I heard alot of shit about the fuel lab pumps you can see above so that suckers going on ebay, along with my microtech, HKS twin fire, eboost 2, rotaflo muffler, old turbo setup, water to air intercooler LOL.

So for those that haven't seen I picked up a few things at WTAC this year! (one of those being the eboost 2 and I've already changed my mind on that)

That was the start of my honeymoon so yeah it's been a few months but yesterday the car has gone back on stands in my shed at the new place and today I've gone out and got the 304 pipe to start on my exhaust manifold. (Still need to finish cleaning the shed, I got the new shelving up I just need to get my moto back together and sold)

Also a dream of mine came true this week, I found a set of MS01's on ebay for $1000 AU, they should be on the way to my place next week, also coming with goodyear eagle f1 which are some of my preferred tyres.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #102
Mazdabater
FC3S

For any of the wiser guys reading this, I have 2 questions

How important is it to get my runners the same length before the t4 flange, or is close enough good enough in a turbo application

How suicidal would it be for me to try and run the wastegate straight off the comp housing? Or should I play it safe and run it just below the flange?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #103
Mazdabater
FC3S

Made some progress today. First time at a manifold, the 42r doesn't leave many options due to the sheer size of it. Will have to run an airline from my landlords shed tomorrow so I can bust out my die grinder and finger linisher. Took a bit to much meat off where the 2 pipes join before the t4 flange and ones 10mm bigger then the other. I was only using a 5" grinder however. Was unsure how I was going to go about it so I just had a crack

Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #104
Mazdabater
FC3S

I think I'll still use the curved bit that I welded the divider wall onto, if I remake the down piece more carefully (so it buts up on the divider and doesn't over lap it should come out pretty sweet