Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
dr.occa
Rotary Fan in Training

dr.occa is on a distinguished road
Default Improvements to the Rotary?

Saw this video on autoline.tv:

Episode 997 – New Subcompact for Brazil, Auto Sales on the Rise, First Zinc-Air Battery? – Autoline Daily

Here are some images of a modified and factory housing side by side captured from the video.

I contacted Mazdatrix about performing this modification to the housings and here is the email conversation:

Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:31 PM
To: J. Velasco
Subject: Re: Rotor housing modification

Sorry, no. We have no way of doing that. Also, getting the filled-in area perfectly flat with the rest of that area of the rotor housing would be extremely hard to do.

----- Original Message -----
To: 'mail@mazdatrix.com'
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:00 AM
Subject: Rotor housing modification

I would like to test this modification’s potential on a 12A motor of mine. Would Mazdatrix be able to change the rotor facing side of my spark plug ports to slits no taller than 1.5mm slots? If so, could you provide me with a ballpark estimate of the cost for this modification to be performed on 12(a) housings? I’ve attached t(w)o images to illustrate what it is I’m wanting. Thank you in advance.

I was disappointed to here their answer.

The way Ernie Brink described it, it makes sense that it would greatly minimize if not almost eliminate compression & mixture loss as well as reduce exhaust temps. Reduced exhaust temps would also translate to a cooler motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ErnieBrink-Rotary-Fixno1a.jpg (68.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg ErnieBrink-Rotary-Fixno1b.jpg (16.5 KB, 39 views)

dr.occa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
MO417FD
Rotary Fan in Training

MO417FD is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's really fascinating. Has there been any more updates to this in terms of news?
MO417FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Interesting modifications that intuitively make a lot of sense. So much so that I wonder if Mazda has tried this before. If they did, what were the results and why this design never made it to production?

The video mentions the inventor tested it out and it resluted in lower EGT's, but doesn't say much else - what about results for HP/torque, emissions, fuel economy, etc? The only potential downside I see off the bat on this design mod is ignition reliability. You'll need a very healthy and consistent spark to be able to ignite the fuel/air charge thru that narrow slit. Brand new ignition system designed for this should have no problem with it, but as it degrades over time it could.

Last edited by Pete_89T2; 02-02-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
dr.occa
Rotary Fan in Training

dr.occa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_89T2 View Post
Interesting modifications that intuitively make a lot of sense. So much so that I wonder if Mazda has tried this before. If they did, what were the results and why this design never made it to production?

The video mentions the inventor tested it out and it resluted in lower EGT's, but doesn't say much else - what about results for HP/torque, emissions, fuel economy, etc? The only potential downside I see off the bat on this design mod is ignition reliability. You'll need a very healthy and consistent spark to be able to ignite the fuel/air charge thru that narrow slit. Brand new ignition system designed for this should have no problem with it, but as it degrades over time it could.
I agree. Given all the improvements in automotive engineering in general, this should be a walk in the park for modern ignition tech. Even an MSD system should ignite the mixture through that slit without batting an eye.

I've been looking for a way to get in touch with Ernie for more info.
dr.occa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Jr_gosetto
The Newbie

Jr_gosetto is on a distinguished road

Hey guys just joined first post so here we go.
One flaw about his new design of the 1.5 millimeter slot. how do you get the spark plug electrode anywhere neer the chamber. he would need to completely redesign the spark plugs to get to the rotor. then the rotor housing would need changed bc I'm pretty sure thy dish on the rotor needs to be in the middle to properly make a full revolution. I think if it wasn't for the top spark plug trying to push the rotor the wrong way as Ernie stats, turbod applications would get runaway engine. (like turbo Diesel engines getting wats called "runaway diesel" they will sometimes build boost and wen you let off it keeps boosting engine will stay at redline the engine then no more engine. But then again diesle fuel is combustible on pressure alone dosnt need an ignition source.) ill admit he has a great idea for the spark plug opening just needs a few more kinks worked out not to hard of ones bc I think I figured it out I hope they try and bing out his ideas and see how they work

Last edited by Jr_gosetto; 08-20-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Jr_gosetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

Open source rotary development FTW!

I think the ideas seem KISS simple and make a lot of sense. The ignition concern is a real
one. I'm not sold on the rotor changes but the spark hole alone is a biggie.

Anyone talked to Goopy about this or any of the other shops that do housing refurb work?

Mazxdtrix isn't strongest engineering shop for rotaries just a great sellers of rotary
aftermarket parts.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote