Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
waky racer
The Newbie

waky racer is on a distinguished road

I have a completely original 04 RX-8. Original coils, etc. Due to my own stupidity, I flooded it twice in the early days. I cleared it by removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine until clear. I then replaced the plugs, added a second battery with jumper cables to another car and floored the accelerator. Started up fairly quickly, but that end of my neighborhood disappeared in a cloud of white smoke for a few seconds.

About a week after the second flood, I received the spark plug upgrade notice from Mazda. The hotter (leading plugs I think) combined with an Optima red top battery (1000 cranking amps or so) solved the starting problem. One piece of advice is to NEVER shut the engine off unless it is completely warmed up. That's what caused my problems.

I too rev the engine to 8000 RPM (usually in 1st or 2nd) sometime before I park it. I change oil and filter every 3000 miles and don't care what anyone says, it isn't that expensive, and I have 40,000 miles on the original engine with normal compression.

One other thing, I don't use 0W- or 5W- oil in anything. Just a premium grade of non-synthetic 10W-40 in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter. The manufacturers recommend that thinner oil to increase overall gas mileage in their whole line of cars for EPA mileage ratings more than any other reason. No pre-mix or SeaFoam to prevent carbon build up. Just common sense. I have a friend that does this with his 04 and he has over 100,000 miles on this original daily driver.

waky racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
Notamomcar
The Newbie

Notamomcar is on a distinguished road

Ok just let me know when and where the next meet is and I will be there!
Notamomcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
rotar bones
rotary owner/driver.

rotar bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephitrask View Post
I would like to see compression numbers on your engine.
I looked into the compression test and the stealer ship said it costs around $300.00 ( Lake wood racing Mazda). I am looking for some one who has a tester I can use. I could buy one I suppose, but I don't know where or how much?. How often do you compression test?. I know it has to be a tester made for the rx8 motor I think>?.
rotar bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
rotar bones
rotary owner/driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waky racer View Post
I have a completely original 04 RX-8. Original coils, etc. Due to my own stupidity, I flooded it twice in the early days. I cleared it by removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine until clear. I then replaced the plugs, added a second battery with jumper cables to another car and floored the accelerator. Started up fairly quickly, but that end of my neighborhood disappeared in a cloud of white smoke for a few seconds.

About a week after the second flood, I received the spark plug upgrade notice from Mazda. The hotter (leading plugs I think) combined with an Optima red top battery (1000 cranking amps or so) solved the starting problem. One piece of advice is to NEVER shut the engine off unless it is completely warmed up. That's what caused my problems.

I too rev the engine to 8000 RPM (usually in 1st or 2nd) sometime before I park it. I change oil and filter every 3000 miles and don't care what anyone says, it isn't that expensive, and I have 40,000 miles on the original engine with normal compression.

One other thing, I don't use 0W- or 5W- oil in anything. Just a premium grade of non-synthetic 10W-40 in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter. The manufacturers recommend that thinner oil to increase overall gas mileage in their whole line of cars for EPA mileage ratings more than any other reason. No pre-mix or SeaFoam to prevent carbon build up. Just common sense. I have a friend that does this with his 04 and he has over 100,000 miles on this original daily driver.

Is your 8 an auto or mt?.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

A compression test at the dealer should cost about $80~$100 tops....
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #36
rotar bones
rotary owner/driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddozen View Post
A compression test at the dealer should cost about $80~$100 tops....
I had better look further then.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotar bones View Post
I had better look further then.
Yea, $300 would by you your own digital tester...
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
rotar bones
rotary owner/driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddozen View Post
Yea, $300 would by you your own digital tester...

I saw a few on http://Rotorydiagonistics.com Start at $250.00 and up .