Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Multimedia > Rotary Of The Month Contest > Winner's Circle

Winner's Circle Rotary Car Club Of The Month Member Rides!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
ZGN
I fly drones & film crap.

ZGN is on a distinguished road
Default November 2012 Rotary of the Month Winner!

Congratulations DivinDriver's
November 2012 Rotary of the month winner.
1980 RX-7 GS

November rotary of the month was one of three cars nominated at SevenStock 15!

Q: Congratulations for being our November Ride of the Month! Tell us about how you acquired this car?
A: Thanks, Kevin!
I bought this car at an auto swap meet in Northridge, CA, in September of 1989, for $1700 in cash. She was nearly 10 years old at the time, but in pretty decent shape outside of having worn & torn upholstery. I needed a car at the time (my '73 Satellite having died and commuting the 405 on a two-wheeler proving to be very dangerous) and had always wanted an RX-7 ever since they first came out, when I was in high school.

Q: How did you first become interested in rotary cars? Have you had any previously?
A: I remembered the ads on TV when rotaries were first coming into the US, and as I'd been interested in mechanics (and all other technical subjects) since I was a young kid I thought the whole concept was cool.
This RX-7 is the first and only rotary car I've ever owned, and it was the first car I ever bought with 'my own money;' the two I'd owned before that were hand-me-downs.

Q: Whats the biggest reason you chose a rotary powered car to modify?
A: Mainly, because I had it! I drove this car as a more-or-less daily driver from the day I bought it in 1989 until some time in March of 2005, when it was unable to pass California's smog check & I couldn't get parts right away. By this time, I wasn't a mostly-broke single kid trying to get by any more; I'd acquired a wife, a decent career, and a house with garage space in the meantime, as well as a lot of experience keeping my -7 running. Seemed like the perfect time to do the restoration I'd always wanted, and my 'Spry Beastie' became a hobby car. I've been slowly restoring and modifying her ever since.

Q: Is this car your daily driver? Do you participate in any form of racing? (Drag, Auto-X, etc)
A: She's no longer a daily driver; most of her exercize now comes from going to meets and shows (she's picked up a couple nods here and there) and the occasional fun drive on a weekend. Every so often I drive her to work just for kicks.

I don't currently do any organized motorsports, but I've been toying with picking up autocross some day.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your car?
A: First-Gen -7's are simply a kick in the pants to drive; not real powerful, but light, really well-balanced and quick in the corners; they just have a real classic feel to them that makes you smile when you drive one. And they look timeless.

I've also got a lot of memories attached to driving this car; cruising SoCal as a single guy in a sportscar, Vegas runs, cross-country road trips (drove out to New Orleans and back once, just to do it!), and going out on dates, including with the girl who later became my wife.

Q: Do you have any future plans for the car, or any car?
A: Always more plans than time and money; I'm a tinkerer by nature and always fooling around with ways to make the car better, younger, more original, or last longer. Currently in the garage I have a spare trans to rebuild, I'm working on a number of replication projects for parts no longer available, I've got a pair of 1980 highback seats I want to reupholster & use... half a dozen other ideas floating around.

Q: Any other hobbies besides cars?
A: I've had a number over the years. I used to tinker with electronics a lot, and enjoy camping and fishing now and then, but currently I'm mainly involved with scuba diving, computer gaming, target shooting, and car stuff.

Q: Anyone you'd like to thank?
A: Sure: My wife EJ for putting up with my hobbies; The crew at Racing Beat who've helped keep me supplied and informed over many years, local friends like John Hosey, Jim Cuba, Sarah Bantay, Andrew Qwok & Jaime Gonzalez (just to name a very few) for helping to keep meets and shows interesting, and guys like Ray from Sin City Rotary and the dozens of other on-line friends that I've 'met' since 2008 when I first discovered the thriving RX-7 online community, for making me realize I'm not the only one with this 'illness.'

Mod List:
Polished/Painted Engine and Trans Bellhousing
January to June 2012 Complete Engine & Carb Rebuild (Stock Specs)
Hand-Sewn Custom Interior
Factory-Option 13” Aluminum “Waffle” Wheels
Blaupunkt Speakers
Electric Window Conversion (from OEM Components)
Electric Mirror Conversion (from OEM Components)
Energy Urethane Sway Bushings
Rear Storage Bin Conversion (from Modified OEM Components)
AutoMeter Gauge Package, w/Custom In-Console Mount
Mazdatrix Silicone Vacuum Lines
Moog Heavy-Duty Idler Arm
Pilot Vintage Fog Lights
Racing Beat Type-II Oil-Gauge Adaptor
Racing Beat Silicone Radiator Hoses
Racing Beat Braided Stainless Brake Lines
Racing Beat “Old School” Steel-Boot Ignition Wires
Racing Beat Braided Stainless Oil-Cooler Lines
Racing Beat Springs
Racing Beat Oil Fill Cap
Redline Leather Shift and E-Brake Boots
ReSpeed Braided Stainless Clutch Line
ReSpeed Billet Thermostat Cover
Rotary13B1 Billet Clutch and Brake Fluid Caps
Tokico Shocks, KYB Struts

Last edited by ZGN; 11-06-2012 at 05:32 PM..
ZGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
leknaw
Rotary Fan in Training

leknaw is on a distinguished road
Default Sweet

Great looking car! Cograts!!!
leknaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
13x
SinCityRotary

13x is on a distinguished road

Not sure how the heck I missed this ... Congrats DD!!!

and thanks to you as you've inspired me to take my car to the next level and beyond

Email
13x is offline   Reply With Quote