Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > BNR Turbos

BNR Turbos www.bnrturbos.com (AL) Custom and rebuilt turbochargers

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
neit_jnf
Boricua!

neit_jnf is on a distinguished road
Default Synthetic Oil?!

can you make the stage 3 twins with seals that can be used with synthetic? how much $$$ extra (or less)?

and why not making them this way from the beginning?
neit_jnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Bryan@BNR
Rotary Fanatic

Bryan@BNR is on a distinguished road

I can make the stage 3's dynamic sealed for synthetic applications but there is a draw back. I kept the carbon seals for simple installation and in 5 years had zero problems with them.

Since the engines run so much oil pressure it creates a problem which can be fixed by a restrictor and a catch can that is properly ventilated. The dynamic seal has a ring gap. When the boost comes up in the compressor housing, the pressure blows through the gaps of the compressor seal and puts pressure in the crankcase. That crankcase pressure will not allow the oil to drain properly from the turbochargers. The oil will back up causing the oil level to go over the ring gap on the turbine side causing the oil to enter the exhaust system. The restrictor gets the oil level down below the ring gaps and the constant vacume crank case vent will keep the engine ventilated so the oil system flows without restriction.

Royal purple has a synthetic that will burn at the same rate as conventional oil and can be used in a wankel engine. Not all sythetics will work using the oil metering pump/injectors. Is it worth the cost and trouble? I have used nothing but walmart oil and filters in my 7's and they have all been beat on pretty good without oil system problems or smoking issues.

Bryan@BNR

Last edited by Bryan@BNR; 11-10-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Bryan@BNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
somchhir1
The boosted the better...

somchhir1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan@BNR View Post
I can make the stage 3's dynamic sealed for synthetic applications but there is a draw back. I kept the carbon seals for simple installation and in 5 years had zero problems with them.

Since the engines run so much oil pressure it creates a problem which can be fixed by a restrictor and a catch can that is properly ventilated. The dynamic seal has a ring gap. When the boost comes up in the compressor housing, the pressure blows through the gaps of the compressor seal and puts pressure in the crankcase. That crankcase pressure will not allow the oil to drain properly from the turbochargers. The oil will back up causing the oil level to go over the ring gap on the turbine side causing the oil to enter the exhaust system. The restrictor gets the oil level down below the ring gaps and the constant vacume crank case vent will keep the engine ventilated so the oil system flows without restriction.

Royal purple has a synthetic that will burn at the same rate as conventional oil and can be used in a wankel engine. Not all sythetics will work using the oil metering pump/injectors. Is it worth the cost and trouble? I have used nothing but walmart oil and filters in my 7's and they have all been beat on pretty good without oil system problems or smoking issues.

Bryan@BNR
Bryan, I'm about to put the stage 3's this friday on(thanks Herblenny) my car, and I run the Idemitsu synthetic, is this a problem? Do i need to go back to conventional oil?
somchhir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
PortedRotorTuner
レーサー

PortedRotorTuner is on a distinguished road

^^ I will be running the same oil. But with an S5 TII. I was thinking about
sending the turbo in for a stock rebuild. Using this oil ok then?

NASA Great Lakes Region
TTD #53 Rx7
PortedRotorTuner is offline   Reply With Quote