Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > Ludwig Motorsports

Ludwig Motorsports www.ludwigmotorsports.com (IN/KY) Full service; rotary engine builds, swaps, fabrication, etc.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road
Default mil-spec v. auto-spec

We get a lot of guys asking about mil-spec wiring and connectors. My impression is that it's a buzz word a lot of people hear and they assume it's better. While mil-spec components certainly can be better, why are they better, do you need them, and is the added cost justified?

WIRE
First, let's look at wire and what the difference is between mil-spec and auto-spec (commonly referred to as hookup or primary wire). Mil-spec is actually a pretty generic term. For any given part (wire, heat shrink, connectors, etc.) there may be dozens of military specs outlining different characteristics for different purposes. A wire might have a mil rating for heat resistance. Another wire might have the same heat resistance but has a different mil rating because it has a different sheath that gives off a different chemical when it burns. Additionally, a wire that is not mil rated (auto-spec), may have similar characteristics in terms of heat resistance or load capacity, but it might not meet a mil-spec for vapor emissions when it burns.

What you generally get with a mil-spec wire versus an auto-spec, in terms of actually functionality, is a better conductor. Mil-spec wire, as used in performance auto applications, has tin coated copper strands that are better conductors than the copper standing of auto-spec wire. The individual strands of wire are usually finer, a given gauge of wire having more internal conductors, which results in a better conductor. What this means is that you can usually carry the same load with a smaller wire. For example, instead of using a 20 gauge auto-spec wire for an injector channel, you can use 22 gauge mil-spec. Additionally, the sheath, or outer coating of mil-spec wire is a different material than auto-spec. Usually Tefzel versus common PVC. Tefzel is a trademark of DuPont for ETFE. The Tefzel is tougher than PVC and this allows a thinner coating to provide similar, or better, protection of the wire from abrasion.

The downside to mil-spec wire is the cost. Mil-spec wire is usually 2 to 3 times the cost, per foot, of auto-spec wire for a given gauge. This adds up quickly when building a complete harness. Additionally, the hobbyist level ECUs (Haltech, Microtech, AEM, etc.) that come with auto-spec wire harnesses, generally don't have a mil-spec alternative available from the manufacturer. Therefore a mil-spec harness needs to be constructed from scratch. This negates any volume build discount associated with the manufacturer supplied auto-spec harness and creates an even larger price gap between an auto-spec harness and a mil-spec harness. Another bit of a downside is that the Tefzel coating, being thinner and tougher, requires a specialized stripper to properly strip the wire without damaging the conductors. If you're doing the work yourself, you'll need to invest in some new tooling.

So, essentially, what you gain with a mil-spec wire is a smaller, lighter wire over an auto-spec wire that will carry the same load. This is critical in cutting edge motorsports, where weight and weight distribution are highly critical. Formula car apps, where space is at a premium, are also an obvious application. For the hobbyist, auto-spec is good enough for auto manufacturers that guarantee their products for tens of thousands of miles, so it will work just fine, in terms of electrical performance, for anything you will want to do.

At LMS-EFI we consider value to be a key priority. We can build anything you'd like, but is your money being well spent? If you want mil-spec wire, shrink, and connectors, we can do it, have done it, and have many of those components on hand. Just don't be surprised if we try to talk you into something less expensive that will do the job just as well.

We'll talk about heat shrink tubing and connectors later.

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI

Last edited by C. Ludwig; 02-01-2012 at 02:26 AM..
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
AnthonyNYC
Self built and tuned...

AnthonyNYC is on a distinguished road

I'm currently changing ECU's and wiring and this info is very helpful, thank you.

When are we talking connectors and shrink tubing?
AnthonyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

Working on it. Essentially, the story will be the same. Drop me a PM and I'll give you the basics on the heat shrink if you're ready to get started.

For connectors, we pretty much exclusively use the Deustch DT and DTM connectors. Here is a good run down on the DTMs. LINK For bulkhead connectors, there are a million different options.

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

ive used aviation grade stuff, mostly because of its variety and aircraft spruce has good prices.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
RENESISFD
Rotary Fan in Training

RENESISFD is on a distinguished road

Good info, thanks for the post.
RENESISFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
AnthonyNYC
Self built and tuned...

AnthonyNYC is on a distinguished road

Thanks Chris
AnthonyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I should probably take a few pictures if I can find the correct wire and post up the differences between Tefzel and the PVC variant that the Haltechs use.

Basically Chris is 100% right. When you buy a MoTeC harness you're paying $725 for what Haltech sells for 1/3 of that. The MoTeC harness is Tefzel wire, and it is smaller, thinner and lighter... but is it really worth it? For the hobbiest (and that's a great analogy btw Chris) the answer is simple, no. I'll be running a PS2000 in my turbo 'vert, and I have no desire whatsoever to erdo that entire harness in Tefzel. I will however be using nothing by deutsch connectors under the hood and I do plan on using a Mil-Spec 262857 ( I think) bulkhead connector. But that's just personal preference. I prefer to build the engine on the stand, build it completely, attach the tranny, and drop it in as one. Connect the fuel lines, coolant lines, oil lines, and go. But... that's me, that's my preference.

I am curious as to what you have to write about heatshrink though, Chris. I only use Raychem DR-25. I know there are other options out there but I haven't researched or tried them yet. My good friend Colin has, and he has a few different options that he's currently researching and trying out.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

One thing I have found (note I get aircraft grade wire and connectors for free from work) is that the special heat shrink on environmental splices requires too much heat for generic wire, it melts the insulation before the splice seals. And the mil spec wire certainly solders alot better if you choose that route.
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

I refuse to solder unless absolutely necessary. I can crimp some 20ga wire and you'll loose circulation in your hands before the crimp or the wire breaks.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
FerociousP
I-had-a-bad-experience...

FerociousP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
I refuse to solder unless absolutely necessary. I can crimp some 20ga wire and you'll loose circulation in your hands before the crimp or the wire breaks.
+1

I started down the "no soldering" path a few years ago. To me, its easier, cleaner, more controllable, and consistent than I was ever able to be with solder. Crimping with an uninsulated butt splice and heat shrinking leaves a bulge not much wider than the wire itself, and like TTT said... just try pulling it apart when done correctly. Hell, I use a $4 crimper from Harbor Freight! I just crimp in a way that ensures its integrity.

***With that said we already have a thread devoted to this argument

'15 Juke Nismo
'06 MX-5 GT SOLD
'04 S Silver RX-8 GT Track Day Use SOLD
'90 Black TII vert w/ Sprint RE stock port/turbo DD dyno (242.6whp@5500rpm @12psi 8psi@redline) and (250ftlbtq@4800rpm @13psi) SOLD
'89 GTUs 6p TII SOLD, '87 sport SOLD, '79 SA stock SOLD
'91 B2600i 4x4 w/ Rx-8 LSD SOLD
FerociousP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Prodigy will become famous soon enough

I just found this (sorry is repost)

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/the-dif...dtm-connectors

but I know the kind of connecters I want now... too bad they are damned expensive...

just wait and save up I guess.. lol

J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
There is no limit to my stubborness...... just ask any of my ex's

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

360 gamertag: Tichlis
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #12
Mazdabater
FC3S

Mazdabater is on a distinguished road

Well a majority of the aircraft stuff is crimped, that is what the enviromental splices are. Crimping is always a much better choice then soldering. But in saying that if I'm out of crimps I'm not fussed about soldering shit. It's pretty unlikely to fail really.
Mazdabater is offline   Reply With Quote