Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Sivart_R1
The Newbie

Sivart_R1 is on a distinguished road
Default Finally doing some work on the 8

Now that the 93 is driveable again, and I've found a good home for the GSL-SE, I'm finally starting some work on the wife's 04 RX-8. I ordered the BHR coil pack, and need to inspect / test the MAF. Hopefully between the two, I'll get the intermittent stall at idle sorted out.

Travis

Sivart_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Sivart_R1
The Newbie

Coils are still on order, but did a little poking around under the hood over the weekend. I cleaned the K&N drop in air filter, and noticed while I had the airbox out that the throttlebody had quite a bit of buildup around the plate, which I cleaned up with some carb cleaner on a cotton towel. So far, the car starts easier again, and the idle has been a lot more steady.

When I swap out the coils, I'll take the TB completely off, and clean up the rest of the buildup I couldn't get to with it on the car.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivart_R1 View Post
Coils are still on order, but did a little poking around under the hood over the weekend. I cleaned the K&N drop in air filter, and noticed while I had the airbox out that the throttlebody had quite a bit of buildup around the plate, which I cleaned up with some carb cleaner on a cotton towel. So far, the car starts easier again, and the idle has been a lot more steady.

When I swap out the coils, I'll take the TB completely off, and clean up the rest of the buildup I couldn't get to with it on the car.
Catch cans are highly recommended. There's a bad habit of that oil getting into the LIM and sticking the SSV valves. Also, the K&N drop in filter has been found to not filter well enough. People have found sand in their engines. For the whole 1HP that it's been proven to give on the dyno, it's just not worth the risk over the factory filter.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Sivart_R1
The Newbie

Thanks Red,

Do you have any more information on the catch can install? I may have to pull the LIM off and make sure everything looks good there.

On the plus side, after cleaning the TB, the car is already running considerably better. Maybe soon I'll be able to stop spending car money on the 8, and start putting it back into the 93.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

really not much to the catch can... just hook it up to the feed and return lines just goes between the line from the oil filler neck to the intake stretch tube.

shouldn't need to touch the LIM. Maybe take off the UIM under a worst case scenario to clean the SSV valve.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Sivart_R1
The Newbie

Well, the BHR coils are in, and after a little over a week with them, I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Cleaning the intake and filter helped, but this has made be actually want to drive the wife's car again. Idle has been solid again for the first consistent time in years, and I no longer feel the need to keep my heel poised over the throttle when coming up to a stoplight.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

congrats...
Glad they're working out for you. BHR coils solve a lot of ignition/running problems.