Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max777 View Post
See, this is your problem right here. You WANT to have something fast, yet you dont have the skill to make it happen.

My advice is: learn how to work on your car first, change the oil, fix the brakes, do a 60K serivce. Get comfortable holding a wrench. THEN come back and start building your car for power.

also, dont just go for a number, like 400hp right off the bat. Learn to drive the car at the stock power, take it to autocross, and maybe some track days, try to get the most out of the entire car stock before you go and make changes to it.
you realize that The person you quoted is not the same person that started the thread right...

2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
LiveWire
The Newbie

LiveWire is on a distinguished road

Yeah Im the guy who started the thread. Also reddozen, you are correct in your assumption, I do not own any car of my own yet. Right now, I drive my father's 2009 sonata, though I do help my brothers when they work with their cars. My older brother has an Evo X and my oldest has an 06 STI, so I am no stranger to the wrench haha. I dont really ever plan to get up to 400hp without a swapped engine to clarify, Im basically feeling out how far I could go safely and reliably. Also im in year 4 of 6 with my research on the rx8, I heard no research is enough with this car, so nothing is happening really soon, this is more/less all preparation and planning and info searching. I think I have another thread up explaining this but what the hell. Just finished freshman year at Miami in Oxford, major in electrical engineering. Planning on getting the car summer of Junior year. I have basically wanted an rx8 since I could first drive, and after A LOT of thought I still know that a rotory engine is the one for me. For better or for worse, I will get a rotory car, be it rx7, rx8, or rx9 (if it even comes out).
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Chibana
The Michigan "WANKEL"

Chibana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddozen View Post
you realize that The person you quoted is not the same person that started the thread right...
Thanks, reddozen.

I *recognize* that I shouldn't go that route. That was the point of my post. As much as I would love a 20b, it's probably a really bad idea for me.
Chibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
j9fd3s
Rotary Fanatic

j9fd3s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
Also im in year 4 of 6 with my research on the rx8, I heard no research is enough with this car
i drove one in very late 2003, and it took like 3 blocks to realize it was a really awesome car.

the DD at the time was either a 3 rotor FC, or a modded GSL-SE. the rx8 IS fun in the same way that the 1st gen is, and its faster, handles better, rides better, its quieter, has a better radio.

no research needed!

my second drive was on a roadrace track, the Rx8 is AWESOME there, you can do STUPID things behind the wheel, and the car won't bite you. the trans gearing is just about perfect. it doesn't FEEL very fast, but it'll run right with an IT (improved touring) FC.

again no research needed!

you want something faster than an STI in a straight line?

research needed!
j9fd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
LiveWire
The Newbie

LiveWire is on a distinguished road

Oh don't worry, I have given up on beating my brothers' cars in 0-60 times a long time ago. With the awd, 2 liters, and turbos they beat vettes off the line to 60, let alone a car with an engine almost half the size. Nevertheless, I heard good things about cornering with this car.
LiveWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
j9fd3s
Rotary Fanatic

j9fd3s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
Oh don't worry, I have given up on beating my brothers' cars in 0-60 times a long time ago. With the awd, 2 liters, and turbos they beat vettes off the line to 60, let alone a car with an engine almost half the size. Nevertheless, I heard good things about cornering with this car.
yes the chassis is just amazing. somehow they ended up with something that rides nice, its easy to drive fast, and won't bite you. lap times, if you're into that, are surprisingly good.
j9fd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #22
Sephitrask
BOILED PEANUTS!!!

Sephitrask is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9fd3s View Post
yes the chassis is just amazing. somehow they ended up with something that rides nice, its easy to drive fast, and won't bite you. lap times, if you're into that, are surprisingly good.
Yeah, the car is great at being easy to drive fast. it is just so forgiving! I actually dropped two wheels off the side of the dragon due to ALOT of gravel on the road, and was able to recover as if nothing happened. Would not have been able to do that in the other cars I used to drive. My friend Adam, who is a seriously badass autox driver, played a game at a track day a couple months ago were he switched back and forth from an 86 to the 8, and said the cars felt surprisingly similar, the 8 having more power obviously, but the general feel was the same. Now THAT is a huger compliment to give a chassis!!

www.rotarycarclub.com
"The way a Rotary engine makes power is ferocious, much like having a chainsaw under your right foot."
Sephitrask is offline   Reply With Quote