Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) > Archives

Archives Where all the stickies are

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
kariayam
The Newbie

kariayam is on a distinguished road
Default 1992 FD3S chassis stiffening/refreshing

Hi all.

I own a FD3S and the chassis seemes to be too old now (year 1992 and 19 years old of age..). I am thinking to refresh the aging chassis and reduce as much flex. So I am planning to do spot welds on the chassis for refreshing the old chassis.

My target of spot welds :

1- just to have 'new' chassis feel and solid handling on normal road since this is on-the-road car.

2- 70% will be driven agrresively on normal uneven poor quality roads and 30% track day.

3-to eliminate body flex. Can be easily seen when i jack up the car at one corner and creaking sound is everywhere..

I dont know if i have to weld the whole body or only at some critical point of the body to get the purpose as i mentioned above. I also dont know where is the critical part of the body to do the spot welds. As I know, the main area of spot weld are:

1)door jamb area
2)front windshield area
3)Rear hatchback opening and spare tyre well
4)Firewall
5)Engine bay,
6)suspension tower Front and rear..

How about:
7)transmisson tunnel area?
8)Floor area?

Really need opinion from you guys on the sufficient weld areas to meet my target/purposes as stated above.

Some of my friends suggested spot weld the whole unibody. But I am afraid it will be too stiff and hard for bumpy roads and sacrifice my traction or handling and crack the body over days.

( As i know, the chassis still needs some very little flex for good traction and handling). Please correct me if i am wrong...because i never involved in a professional motorsport, I just read in the internet..
kariayam is offline   Reply With Quote