Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Paaull
The Newbie

Paaull is on a distinguished road
Default rotary car build

I'm building a 4wd mud buggy based on a Suzuki Sierra chassis that I want to repower with a twin cam efi 4cyl or rotary. Not overly fussed on the engine as most can be worked easily. So thought I would ask about the trans so I know which rwd half cut to buy.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
NoDOHC
The quest for more torque

NoDOHC will become famous soon enough

You can go with the NA manual trans, out of any year, but I don't know of any way to attach the transfer case. You would have to divorce it.

The Auto trans in the RX7 is a common trans (I think it was used in Subbies, Nissans and Ford Rangers). It is possible that you may be able to get a transfer case setup to fit. I have never seen it done. The Auto trans is weak, they don't hold up well to a stock NA rotary. Mine is smoking after 5 0-60 runs.

You can buy adapters from a rotary to a Volkswagen Beetle (air-cooled) trans, a Ford Trans and a Chevy Trans from Kennedy Engineering. I have also seen mounting adapters made to use the rotary auto-trans bellhousing to contain a clutch and attach to the front of a transmission.

This thread should probably be moved elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
diabolical1
I have radioactive semen

diabolical1 is on a distinguished road

welcome to the board.

if you do decide on the rotary engine for your project, i guess my first question would be, does the Sierra transmission have a removable bell housing? if so, you could probably get a Turbo II transmission and see if you could find a way to adapt the bell housing to fit. i know it's probably easier said than done though. the only other thought that comes readily to my mind is use the transmission from a B-series truck because i know people have put rotaries in them many times over.

obviously, you're likely looking at custom driveshafts either way.

good luck.
diabolical1 is offline   Reply With Quote