Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Judman13
The Newbie

Judman13 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying an RX-8 Checklist

OK, so a very close friend of mine is seriously looking into getting an RX-8. His budget is pretty low (under 9k) so its going to be 05-06 and pretty high mileage.

The main thing I want is any and all known issues and things to look for when he/I start going out and looking at cars.

I understand the fundamentals of the Rotary, but when it comes to things to look/feel for we are both pretty clueless. So even if it seems obvious go ahead and list it out so we can get a good base list set up.

Thanks guys!!

Judman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Here is mine for sale. You said the two keywords, cheap, and high mileage.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1878799202.html

I have two people actually coming to see it today.

The things to look for are the same as most other cars. One thing to check is that it starts when the engine is hot. Check clutch engagement, the pedal assembly can crack easily. Check that all the buttons and switches work, even though it has high miles, the car is not old, so they should still work.

Check the coolant for 'champagne' bubble when you start it cold.

Otherwise, but mine.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
mazdadude7
Rotary Fanatic

mazdadude7 is on a distinguished road

The coils tend to go out often so you would want to find out if they were replaced recently. Most important is no accidents, you always get alot of problems with a car that has a decent sized accident.
mazdadude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Yeah, check the coils, plugs, wires. The plugs are super easy to change, and so are the coils and such. I just replaced all of mine, and they were ALL the original part numbers (which have been superceded around 4 times).

All is well now.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
diabolical1
I have radioactive semen

diabolical1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdadude7 View Post
The coils tend to go out often so you would want to find out if they were replaced recently.
i just want to emphasize this. consider them to be normal wear items like tires or brake pads. you have no idea the world of hurt in which these bloody (~$25 each) items can put you. many people have documented that the major symptom is a decrease of power, but that will be subjective and relative to the particular car. as for my experience, my car felt the same from the day i bought it to the night everything came to a head. i would say a flashing CEL would be a more objective sign, but i would tend to think that unless you notice the stumble that sometimes comes along with it, you can miss the flashing CEL, too. anyway, the point is keep the coils in mind for any Rx-8 you buy, and if there's any question about their status, get new ones. it's ~$100 for a set or you could consider upgrades out there, if you wish. BHR (i've never dealt with them) is the only name that comes to mind readily.

also look for oil under the engine cover and around the front parts of the engine (alternator, pulleys, etc.). i don't know statistically how common this is, but my car needed a new front main seal at around 40,000 miles.

Last edited by diabolical1; 08-08-2010 at 11:32 AM..
diabolical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

I have the BHR coils. I've had no problems since I bought them. They're basicially adapted LS1 coils. I recommend them, but they're $500.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote