Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Old School Rotary (Pre-1979)

Old School Rotary (Pre-1979) Pre-1979 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
spankle my wankle
Rotary Fanatic

spankle my wankle is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on picking up an rx4

My brother works with a guy who has an rx4 that he says has been sitting under his garage port for 15 years now. He is hesitant about getting rid of it but i think ill be able to convince him. That is unless people here tell me its a bad idea. Are the parts hard to find (not sure yet what is wrong with it as he doesnt really know)? What are the usual problems that come with these cars? Its kind of a vague thread i know but assuming it has a straight body (he says it does) and isnt complete junk mechanically, besides a new motor maybe, would you go for it? Thanks.

spankle my wankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
LunchboxCritter
Simply Rotarded

LunchboxCritter is on a distinguished road

That would depend on the price. If it was cheap enough that if you found out it was in unrepairable, and you can get your money back from the good parts, then go for it.

- 91 NA to J-Spec TII
- 88 FC Vert
- 04 Rx8

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
LunchboxCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Buggy
I've been Wankeled!

Buggy is on a distinguished road

As long as all the expensive stuff is there I'd go for it. Things like glass, stainless trim, interior, ect. If they are in good shape I'd grab it. Also as long as the body isn't complete junk too. I know my Rx-4 had rust in the main chassis in the frame rail above the front tires behind the fenders. Also had rust in behind the rocker panel on the passenger rear side. Another bad rust spot is the front fenders where the structural skeleton piece is bonded to the fender skin. All in all it wasn't hard to repair all that stuff. Parts can be found still, it takes a bit off digging but you uncover sources pretty quick. This also depends on what direction you want to take with the car. Keeping it 100% stock is much harder than going the modified route.
Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
As long as all the expensive stuff is there I'd go for it. Things like glass, stainless trim, interior, ect. If they are in good shape I'd grab it. Also as long as the body isn't complete junk too. I know my Rx-4 had rust in the main chassis in the frame rail above the front tires behind the fenders. Also had rust in behind the rocker panel on the passenger rear side. Another bad rust spot is the front fenders where the structural skeleton piece is bonded to the fender skin. All in all it wasn't hard to repair all that stuff. Parts can be found still, it takes a bit off digging but you uncover sources pretty quick. This also depends on what direction you want to take with the car. Keeping it 100% stock is much harder than going the modified route.
Listen to this advice Seth.

PS- where exactly is this RX-4??
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Buggy
I've been Wankeled!

At least go take a look at it and feel the guy out. Oh ya, take pics too so we can see this machine. The initial find is always one of the most exciting parts of getting one of these cars. My R100 is complete junk pretty much, but finding it sitting there in the weeds was like striking gold. At least for me it was. Not too many old school rotaries survived here in Ontario Canada, let alone a R100.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
fire85gslse
RCC Addict

fire85gslse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankle my wankle View Post
My brother works with a guy who has an rx4 that he says has been sitting under his garage port for 15 years now. He is hesitant about getting rid of it but i think ill be able to convince him. That is unless people here tell me its a bad idea. Are the parts hard to find (not sure yet what is wrong with it as he doesnt really know)? What are the usual problems that come with these cars? Its kind of a vague thread i know but assuming it has a straight body (he says it does) and isnt complete junk mechanically, besides a new motor maybe, would you go for it? Thanks.
yep, if price is good I would get it, get it running and sell it quick as the 4 is ugly! But thats me
Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Buggy
I've been Wankeled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire85gslse View Post
yep, if price is good I would get it, get it running and sell it quick as the 4 is ugly! But thats me
I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
12arotary
tumor-syphilis-itis-osis

12arotary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
there are several better looking models
88 gxl
12arotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

i still want an rx4 wagon.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
PercentSevenC
Custom User Title

PercentSevenC is on a distinguished road

The '74-75 RX-4 coupe is actually the best looking old-school rotary in my opinion. RX-4 wagons are also fairly attractive as '70s wagons go.
PercentSevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
Buggy
I've been Wankeled!

In stock trim, I agree they aren't that great looking. After some tweaking though I think they look beautiful. I love the roof line of the hard top along with the fact that the quarter windows roll down. Mine is still kind of ugly, but that will be fixed when it gets lowered and has some nice blacked out panasports on it.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
Stredrotor
Rotary Fan in Training

Stredrotor is on a distinguished road

RX4s are the toughest looking Mazda around!

You just need to get rid of the hideous US spec bumpers
Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Rotarydave
Rotary Nut Case

Rotarydave is on a distinguished road

If you all aren't interested or if it is nearly a complete piece of junk even with frame rust I am interested I have 2 74 coupes we are restoring and 3 wagons we are doing as well a 75, 76 and 78.
Rotarydave is offline   Reply With Quote