Go Back   Rotary Car Club > All thing Racing! > Track JUNKY!

Track JUNKY! Road course oriented tech forum.. Talk about suspension set up, Track info, brake set up, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Roen
Evil Club Mod

Roen is on a distinguished road
Default New ITS FC Build Suspension Question

So I'm finally beginning the long overdue process of building an ITS car, in order to settle a bet with a friend of mine who is a BMW fan. He currently drives a BMW 135i and is building an ITS E36 325is.

I'm in the process of procuring an 1986 RX-7 Sport Model and implanting it with the powertrain and electronics from a GTUs and switching out the diff with a Miata T2 Torsen. I'm still looking for a 5.12 ring gear if anyone has one. ECU will be controlled by an Rtek 2.0, S5 Engine will be rebalanced and the rev limit will be increased to 9200 rpm. Spoiler, if I decide to run one, will be the sport spoiler.

My question now lies with the shocks and springs. Most people decide to revalve either Koni's or Bilstein's (I will most likely go with Bilsteins from a cost perspective as I'm not quite sure I'll need the adjustability of the Koni's) and mate them to a Ground Control Coilover sleeve. I'm wondering what other full coilover options exist that are popular with the ITS crowd. The only things that I require from the coilovers are that the valving is consistent and matched from the factory, if it's adjustable, the adjustments must be linear and must match from side to side (i.e. damping force approached from the low side via the adjuster must equal damping force approached from the high side via the aduster) and ride height may be adjusted via a lower shock mount, rather than the spring perch, in order to maintain full shock travel.

Any ideas?

Roen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Black91n/a
Rotary Fan in Training

Black91n/a is on a distinguished road

I highly doubt that you'll be able to hit all those targets without spending some serious coin on an integrated coilover system. At least not if you mean that it has to be proven via shock dynos of each individual shock. If you're reasonably certain that you'll be keeping the same spring rates, then custom valved Bilsteins are probably the way to go.

That said, I'm quite happy with my Tein Flex's, I've even had driving instructors comment that the car handles quite well, so they can't be that bad.
Black91n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black91n/a View Post
I highly doubt that you'll be able to hit all those targets without spending some serious coin on an integrated coilover system.
+1

Agreed.

Unless you're got a seriously dialed in butt dyno, I doubt you could tell the difference if the left and right sides are off by a smidgen?
Most (skilled) drivers can adjust to inconsistencies in the suspension rather than insist on the suspension dialed into them.

I'd be more worried about getting a GOOD double-adjustable damper.
This usually means BIG bucks.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

josh18_2k is on a distinguished road

are there any DA struts besides 8611's?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Roen
Evil Club Mod

Converted Koni Yellows?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

kinda pointless when 8611's exist lol
i meant better and/or cheaper ones

i have DA converted rear yellows on my car right now. The plan is to to tune suspension, dyno, sell, then build matching bisteins. So if you're still looking by next winter, I'll most likely have them up for sale.

Last edited by josh18_2k; 03-07-2010 at 04:53 PM..
josh18_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Roen
Evil Club Mod

Why not just keep the DA Koni's?

I guess it would be nice if someone were to engineer a GC-like solution for Koni's or Bilstein's, and also have an integrated lower shock mount that could be used to change the height of the car, instead of the spring perch.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

bilsteins are monotube and much cheaper to rebuild. i just dont want to pay to revalve a bunch of times.
DA yellows are also worth a lot more than a new set of bilsteins, so I'm hoping to recoup some of the money down the road.

if you can get your hands on a set of FC coilovers for cheap enough, you could gut the housings and attempt to fit shocks inside.

Last edited by josh18_2k; 03-08-2010 at 01:16 AM..
josh18_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Roen
Evil Club Mod

How much would you want the DA Koni's for? Though I don't think I'll be ready by winter, it's good to have a price figure in mind.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
josh18_2k
Rotary Fanatic

no idea lol. i have ~2k into them i think, i dont wanna add it up. it hurts too much
we'll cross that bridge when we get there