Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85)

RX-7 1st Gen Specific (1979-85) RX-7 1979-85 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
Rotarydave
Rotary Nut Case

Rotarydave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12arotary View Post
that is a good deal, I was just speaking for those of us who don't have shops- like an engine personally built by me isn't worth jack
Not saying that your motor isn't worth jack.... just that you don't have the engine building reputation that a shop does so they can command the higher price tag. The second piece is (and this if for everyone building their own engine and wanting to get money back on it later) if you put the same number of new pieces into a rebuild that a engine builder does it will push the cost of your rebuild into that same price range even without considering labor. They are able to keep prices down because they buy parts at shop rates and also in quantity, they also have to buy large numbers of core engines to find the good parts. The profit margin they are making on an engine is not as large as you would think.

You do get what you pay for. I think that the best rebuilt engine write up i ever saw was done by mazdatrix in one of their hard catalogs i don't know if it is on their website but the jist was anyone can build a motor out of a pile of crap that can last 12months (in a street car that is)

As for the value of an engine. I have been severely burned lately by used engines and it is for that reason i don't recommend buying them at all regardless of their pedigree. on the other forum i am listed a BAD GUY because someone bought an engine from my friend (i hooked them up and made the deal happen my involvement) that was supposed to be a low mileage engine it was sold for around 800 in parts and money and it turned out to be bad in less than 30 days after install. Now it was compression tested and it was coolant pressure tested but that doesn't always mean that it is good. When I am buying a used engine I really only look at it as if it is a core... and when i sell a used motor I (me that is I can't speak for my friends obviously) tell the buyer up front that it may last a long time or no time at all. bottom line it is a used motor that we (usually) don't know the whole history on.

What do I think is a good price for a core 200$ no more at this time not willing more and that would be for an unopened motor.

What do I think is a good price for a used motor no more than 800$ and I would have to see it run in a car and preferably under some type of load. Just because it runs doesn't mean it is good. I would suspect the motor to be bad if when I am coming to check it out it has already been warmed up.

What do I think is a good price for a rebuild 1600 is on the low end and although it may be a very good motor i would want to know what went into building it... specifically what parts and who made them.... there are companies out there that make really cheap parts that aren't all that good but they are new and they will last a couple of years.

Also about a rebuild that doesn't include special engines and porting and special prep... these guys are professionals you will get what you pay for but you will also get a warranty as well.

Rotarydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
junkyard racer
Rotary Fan in Training

junkyard racer is on a distinguished road

After some more research I found my friend I have been talking to is probably full of crap. Of course maybe in his location he might be able to fetch that kind of money for one...but here, not so much.

I listed the motor on several websites and got several phone calls from people offering 300-range. Honestly, this is more of what I was expecting. I would like to see the 600 range, but being realistic I think 300ish is more realistic.

Its listed on ebay for 350 bin.

My 30k mile 12a Mazda replacement (with papers) I think is worth $800-1k sitting in the car right now. Someone could come to my house, drive the dam car with the engine and we could rip it out that afternoon. lol.
junkyard racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

you can always go get it compression tested and documented to solidify the sale, documentation and proof that you're selling good parts is important.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote