Go Back   Rotary Car Club > All thing Racing! > Track JUNKY!

Track JUNKY! Road course oriented tech forum.. Talk about suspension set up, Track info, brake set up, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Brent
Sua Sponte

Brent is on a distinguished road
Default Post your Brake Pad Reviews here!

Post what brake pads you have used on the track and how well they did, how long they last, etc... Other good information will be what kind of a brake set up you are running. I'm sure this will help alot of us out as we search for different pads.

My Set Up-
Front: Recently Rebuilt Porsche Big Red's w/ SS braided lines with factory 99spec brake ducts coming off the front lip
Rear: Stock 99Spec RZ/RS Calipers, Rotors, and SS braided lines

Pads-
Front: PFC 01's. Have held up well over all the track/autoX/street driving I did while I was home. I think I put about 400-500track miles and a total of 2000 miles on them while I was home and they still have plenty of pad left. They are like any good track pad... noisy with alot of brake dust. I was not that hard on the brakes while I was on the track, but I never experienced any type of fade. They have a sharp good initial bite and that never really changed during the entire 30 minute track sessions. I think I'm going to try the DTC-60 or HT-10 pads on the front next most likely.

Rear: Hawk HT-10's. Held up very well for all the driving I did at home(same as listed with the fronts above). Plenty of pad left. Not as noisy or as much dust as the PFC 01's, but they are on the rear. The initial bite isn't as sharp as the 01's, but they seem to complement the 01's very nicely once they heat up a little.

Anyone used the new Hawk DTC-60 or DTC-70 pads? I'd like to see some reviews on them.

Road Atlanta August 2011 NASA TT 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFY00PAK_Ps
Traqmate's video of my car from the 2011 UTCC at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zcn6...layer_embedded
Video of Yellow LS1 FD at NASA TT at VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k0lJkcwrM

Last edited by Brent; 11-18-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
SPICcnmFD
Rotary Fanatic

SPICcnmFD is on a distinguished road

Mines pretty much stock setup with pads and ducting because the stock brakes are excellent for a stock car until they overheat. If I was doing competition other than TT's every now and then I'd get a larger setup but my plan is to get our race car running and quick tracking the FD. And the way it is now I'll just do a easy lap about 2/3-3/4 through the session and I'm good to go. Plus my car likes a cool down lap about that time also when it's 90+ outside like it is most of track season.

Set up:
Front - Napa stock replacement rotors with ducting. Only stock sized rotors I've found that take the heat and don't have stress cracks after 1-2 sessions. I've ran these rotors probably 800-1k miles on the track and finally have some stress crack signs.
Rear - Stock, never had a problem.

Pads:
Front and Rear - Hawk Blues, they last 500-600mi depending on what track. They ARE rough on rotors but are pretty consitent until you over heat them then they drop off a good bit but they don't just go away completely they just don't stop as quickly. As long as they last and as cheap as rotors are I just haven't changed to something more rotor friendly.

I do have some HT-10s I plan on using for my next event.
1993 Rx-7 SM2 #11
At the local AutoX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VOSQkkSLQs
Speed for Sale shootout 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqlyAkGmpg
A few laps at Barbers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h5q...x=0&playnext=1
SPICcnmFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Heeley
Rotary Fan in Training

Heeley is on a distinguished road

I spent a season autox-ing on stock discs and calipers with EBC greenstuff pads. Great for the money, and they were good for street use too. I liked them because with autox i'm not getting a lot of heat in them, and they had good initial bite, and held up well for full days of sessions. I'm sure i didn't get them hot enough autocrossing for them to fade last summer. I'll let you know how it goes with a couple of lapping days this summer.
Heeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
kenn_chan
The Newbie

kenn_chan is on a distinguished road
Default hawks on ebisu west

1st gen body, with 2nd gen subrame, 13BT To4E + all the goodies.
Tein full tap front and rear, custom valved at the factory for 8Kg front springs, and 5Kg rears (remember the FB is a solid rear axle)

320 x 26 mm front rotors with Nissan 4 pots on a custom front hub adapter
RESpeed (Bwaits) rear BB kit using the FC rotor, with the FC calipers and a proportioning valve set at 30% reduction for the rear brakes

Sway bars are early 80's Mazda Speed

pads: initially hawk front Black/ rear HPS; then a swap to the hawk "blue's" on the front, and "Black's" on the rear black/HPplus setup could not contain heat at ebisu west on 70.061 second laps and started to fade after about 10 hot laps (14 total).

Blue/Black setup: initial bite/modulation on cold rotor/pad is dismal but after 2 warmup laps they where good to go. no fade after 10 laps, modulation is still good. No clue on how long they last as I went through a little over 5/8's a front pad every time I went (300 km to track with 60~70 laps and 300 Km return each time) necessitating new pads/rotors each time. final time was 68.034 seconds with the current setup about a 2 second increase directly attributed to the swap from the black/HPplus to the Blue/Black pads incidentally I think if I could drop the rear bias by about another 10% i think i could do better but the current Proportioning valve I use only goes to a min reduction of 30%

Kenn_chan
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote