Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Carburetors and Carb Tuning..

Carburetors and Carb Tuning.. All info about old school carb set ups..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Rotary_Rocket_87
2nd Generation Freak

Rotary_Rocket_87 is on a distinguished road
Default throwing some ideas around in my head. need pro input

the motor in my car blew a few weeks ago and I am trying to decide what I want to do for a rebuild. I have been tossing the idea of a carb setup around in my head but i have a few questions. If i do go carb i am thinking of using my 13bt block with high compression rotors, no turbo, but i was wondering can you run premix through a carb or will that cause problems? I have very little carb experience and i have read alot of the carb discussions in this section but didn't see anything on premixing with a carb.

Also, how much of a pain is it to run dual sidedrafts? i know that syncing the carbs is somewhat involved, but i could handle it (i hope). Like i said this is just throwing ideas around, nothing is set in stone with how i am going to build this motor, other than using as many parts that i already have from my 13bt. I like the simplicity of a carb setup and the 22 year old electronics in my car have me hesitant to stay EFI, and i don't have the kind of money to go with a standalone ECU.

Thanks for any input.

'87 TII- full emissions removal, a/c removed, FPD removed, dual 12" e-fans, Rotary Performance FCD, ACT unsprung 6 puck w/ Xtreme PP, custom open 2.5 inch exhaust, custom clutch pivot ball, K&N cone filter, TB mod, RB downpipe, motor blown 8/7/09

'94 Mazda B4000- POS beater truck, stock

"The easiest way to fail is to never try." - Me
Rotary_Rocket_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
PercentSevenC
Custom User Title

PercentSevenC is on a distinguished road

Premixing works fine in a carb. I'm doing it right now.

As for dual sidedrafts, never done it, but I'm thinking it might be weird to tune since the intermediate port runners flow less than the ones in the end plates. You'd also have to find a manifold for it, which could prove difficult. Dual progressive carbs would be cool, like Rotary Engineering's old dual DCD setup. Trochoid on the other forum is running that setup on his half-bridge engine and really likes it.

Still, probably cheaper and easier to just do a single large 2-barrel, like a 48 IDA or DCOE.

Just so you know, though, a carb setup is not going to be cheaper than a MegaSquirt, even a pre-assembled one.

Last edited by PercentSevenC; 08-22-2009 at 01:43 PM..
PercentSevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Rotary_Rocket_87
2nd Generation Freak

the way i figure it though, if i go carb the only thing i will have to buy for the intake side of the motor is a good carb, flanges and pipe to make my own intake mani. my brother is a good tig welder and i am sure i can figure out a good set of dimensions to fabricate one up.

also i have no idea where i would get a megasquirt tuned if i went that route. I have cruised this forum almost since day one and the other forum for over 3 years and haven't found anyone in my area that knows what they are doing with rotarys with aftermarket ECUs
'87 TII- full emissions removal, a/c removed, FPD removed, dual 12" e-fans, Rotary Performance FCD, ACT unsprung 6 puck w/ Xtreme PP, custom open 2.5 inch exhaust, custom clutch pivot ball, K&N cone filter, TB mod, RB downpipe, motor blown 8/7/09

Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Rotary_Rocket_87
2nd Generation Freak

Oh and i was thinking of running a small 4 barrel, the primaries feeding the primary ports and the secondaries feeding the secondary ports.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
PercentSevenC
Custom User Title

PercentSevenC is on a distinguished road

Not trying to discourage you from going carb, just making sure you know it isn't going to be much, if any, cheaper, between the carb itself and all the jets and things you'll need to buy.

I recommend against one of the common 4-barrels (Holley, Edelbrock, etc.) if you like turning or stopping. I suggest one of the Weber 2-barrels or their clones. I'm currently using a 45 DCOE, and aside from it being a bit small, I love it. Easiest carb in the world to tune. Heck, you can tune the main circuit while the car is running.

Last edited by PercentSevenC; 08-22-2009 at 04:52 PM..
PercentSevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
jimmys79rx
The Newbie

jimmys79rx is on a distinguished road
Default aint that the truth

i am running a holley now and i want to go fi im just not sure what yet
jimmys79rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
jimmys79rx
The Newbie

jimmys79rx is on a distinguished road

why dont you want to with the fuel injection that it had when you blew the motor
jimmys79rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Kentetsu
RCC Contributor

Kentetsu is on a distinguished road

www.sterlingmetalworks.com

you guys should at least consider the Sterling carb. I've been autocrossing one for years and I'm always amazed by the performance.
Kentetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Rotary_Rocket_87
2nd Generation Freak

I have actually decided to go V8 conversion. My brother has a 4 inch bore SBC and a T5 trans. we are going to build it with a 3 inch stroke crank and custom rods, so it will be a high revving v8.