Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough
Default Rota Wheels..

What do you guys think about Rota wheels??

Are they any good??

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

They are generally set up for FWD and other small cars. That being said, I want a set of GT3's for the Miata.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
SPICcnmFD
Rotary Fanatic

SPICcnmFD is on a distinguished road

PHIL, That's what I had on my Eclipse. They were good light weight wheels, but I don't think you can get them much wider than 8". Subaru guys seem to use them a good bit.
1993 Rx-7 SM2 #11
At the local AutoX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VOSQkkSLQs
Speed for Sale shootout 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqlyAkGmpg
A few laps at Barbers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h5q...x=0&playnext=1
SPICcnmFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Miata_mx5
Rotary Fan in Training

Miata_mx5 is on a distinguished road

I would not even run them on my FC, much less my miata or GTR.

Sorry, I am part of the "don't screw over the originators" group.

Any quality sports car does not deserve low quality control, reverse engineered wheels. It's companies like them that steal ideas that turn this industry into shit.

People run E-Bay steelies at rallycross track days too, does not make them great.

There is a reason why serious sports cars, track cars, race cars and OEM wheels that are outside the phillipines market are not made by ROTA.

Miata_mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
afterburn27
Rotary Fan in Training

afterburn27 is on a distinguished road

I know lots of people that run rota wheels without issue (on and off the track). However, I have seen a few pics of bent and completely cracked Rota wheels that would make me cautious.

Also, as SPICcnmFD mentioned they generally aren't made in widths wider than 8".

For an FD that serves track duty, I would look for something else. For a street car I think they are fine.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata_mx5 View Post
I would not even run them on my FC, much less my miata or GTR.

Sorry, I am part of the "don't screw over the originators" group.

Any quality sports car does not deserve low quality control, reverse engineered wheels. It's companies like them that steal ideas that turn this industry into shit.

People run E-Bay steelies at rallycross track days too, does not make them great.

There is a reason why serious sports cars, track cars, race cars and OEM wheels that are outside the phillipines market are not made by ROTA.
Please leave personal politics out of it. I know some people are very passionate about Original JDM parts, and some prefer to get the more inexpensive knockoffs. I am guilty, I have Attain knockoff bumper guards on my FC, made by JKL. Sorry if I can't afford twice the price, and in my case, the replica is better quality.

Also, if the design is just slightly different, it is not an illegal copy.

So, Phil, if you are looking for wheels for one of your FD's, or the RX-8, look elsewhere.
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

i can google some nice pictures of OEM wheels that are utter failures. Including our early year 1993 FDs....

I know a few people with Rotas and i have never seen a problem with them even after a few years of driving on them. I assume that if you do something like hit a 1' deep pot hole at 40 then something can go wrong. But im sure high end "paying for a name" stuff will have the same results.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
IH8DSM
RCC Contributor

IH8DSM is on a distinguished road

see notice no one in this thread said i had rotas and they cracked.... my buddy has volks and bent his when he hit a bump. If you hit anything hard enough you can mess up a wheel no matter if you payed 2 grand or 200 also has alot to do with the tire. If your wanting to track it you might wanna try rbmotoring.com and see what they have fairly cheap name brand wheels. i don't think rota's are horrible and have thought about them on my fb just depends on what there gonna be used for and how much you wanna pay.

85 rx7 gsl-se - AA tags/ never ending project will never run
IH8DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

don't cheap out on wheels.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #10
proz07
Needing a new tow rig.

proz07 is on a distinguished road

relativly cheap and yes most of their rims are designed for a honda civic as in widths and offsets but there is one you can get up to 9.5 18" amd about 4 you can get in 9 18-17" with fd friendly offsets. what i like about them is i can get almost any of them blacked out or bronzed. i am looking at some ROTA black SVN rims 18" 9" 35 offset for my BB FD on all 4 corners when i get back to the states in a month or two and will have more to report on these rims then.

on a side they do do custom offset width's if you buy enough of them from what iv heard whick is why you can get the wider rims in certain models. if you look at all thier rims offsets and widths you will see that there are some weird sizes that would not fit any stock setups.

z

z
proz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
proz07
Needing a new tow rig.

iv been constantly looking at wheels and weights and what not. i even almost bought some 17" work vs-xx untill i found out the weighed in the range of 24-26# at 1800$ LOL ya freaking right in my opinion those kinds of wheels are show wheels not go. id pay sub 1g for a wheel that weight but no way will i pay 450 a wheel for a boat ancor. sorry to those hard core dont rip off the originals but i dont think so. now ill probably end up with wheels that weigh around that but at half the price im cool with that. thats just a crazy high price in my opinion.

z
Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Ranger
The Newbie

Ranger is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine has Rota P54Rs on his 240SX, and they fit good. They're 18x9.5 +12 offset. I think they're one of the few rims Rota makes that come in decent sizes. IMO don't worry about wheel weight unless you seriously autocross or track your car. However, from what I've heard, Rota rims have terrible QC...they crack under heavy stress. Where's that infamous picture...oh yes.

If you're really worried about wheel weight and don't want to spend a fortune, get a set of Enkei RPF1s. They look great on RX-7s.

Hey proz07, are you implying that you can find knock-off VS-XX rims for less than a grand? if so let me know where, I might like a set to use for drift rims...
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Nopis1O
Rotary Fanatic

Nopis1O is on a distinguished road

Im another firm believer in Original over Knockoffs but they have there flaws too. rota seems to be the only one that hits the forums.
Hey Ranger^ Where's that infamous picture...oh yes.

Buy what you want man cuz no matter what you have it can snap.
1990 Fc Hard top: Brideported 13b, weber carb, 350z wheels w/nitrogen, or 16in BBS meshies, Msd, Racaro Racing Seats, Custom Gauge cluster, custom Intake, Relocated Battery, 3inch header back borla exhaust system, Alpine stereo system, Wire tucked, S4 shift boot&knob, custom Strut bar, And soon to come a Full black w/ gold pearl paint job, powder coated break calipers, all black interior, bride headliner/door panels.
Nopis1O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #14
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Last time I checked, Rotas were made in the Phillipines.
You can make your own conclusions on their quality.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
proz07
Needing a new tow rig.

lol wow i thought i posted this much longer but guess its only a month or so. in anycase unless you know the story behind those pics it dosent mean jack. i can even find pics of baja 1000 trucks wheel with the same damage course they cartwheeled a 4000lb truck to do it. everything breaks just some break sooner than others in anycase upon looking at offsets and sizes and just the overall design i will not be gettin any rota's and may very well end up with some name brand wheels. it is all starting to come back to dont spend money on something that you dont REALLY want, ya know. better to get what you really want now then settle and then change later anyway.
z