Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #31
Garyrotor
The Newbie

Garyrotor is on a distinguished road

Hi, you mentioned that you went to 45 series tires but what size are they? Are they the same front and back? I have some very old tires on Revolution rims on my car just to see how they fit but cannot drive it to see if they are going to rub on the stock flares, the tires are way too crusty. The guy I got them from had them on a lowered first gen but I'm not sure if he had the fenders flared or not. He had 205 50 15 on the front and 225 50 15 on the rear. The fronts look okay for clearance but the rears almost stick out beyond the flares. I'm worried that the tires will rub if I'm on a bumpy road with a passenger. I have 200lb front springs and 150lb rears, lowered about an inch and a quarter. They are Lovells which replace the stock springs without any modifications, which I got from Australia.
Also wanted to say great job on your car! Looks great.
Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Garyrotor; 10-20-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Garyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
lokirx706
Rotary Fan in Training

lokirx706 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyrotor View Post
Hi, you mentioned that you went to 45 series tires but what size are they? Are they the same front and back? I have some very old tires on Revolution rims on my car just to see how they fit but cannot drive it to see if they are going to rub on the stock flares, the tires are way too crusty. The guy I got them from had them on a lowered first gen but I'm not sure if he had the fenders flared or not. He had 205 50 15 on the front and 225 50 15 on the rear. The fronts look okay for clearance but the rears almost stick out beyond the flares. I'm worried that the tires will rub if I'm on a bumpy road with a passenger. I have 200lb front springs and 150lb rears, lowered about an inch and a quarter. They are Lovells which replace the stock springs without any modifications, which I got from Australia.
Also wanted to say great job on your car! Looks great.
Thanks
Gary
225/45-15

Mine do not come close to the flares at all (Front or rear). If you have a GSL-SE your wheels would stick out further than mine with the same offset. Also if you have different offset/wheel width than mine it could change where the wheel is as well.

Also different manufacturers tires are sometimes different heights/widths despite saying the same/similar sizes.

So basically I cant say for sure if going to my tire size will help you for sure or not. But they are a lot shorter in height than a 225/50-15.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
Garyrotor
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokirx706 View Post
225/45-15

Mine do not come close to the flares at all (Front or rear). If you have a GSL-SE your wheels would stick out further than mine with the same offset. Also if you have different offset/wheel width than mine it could change where the wheel is as well.

Also different manufacturers tires are sometimes different heights/widths despite saying the same/similar sizes.

So basically I cant say for sure if going to my tire size will help you for sure or not. But they are a lot shorter in height than a 225/50-15.
Thanks for the info, I think I may go to the 45 series as they would only be for Autocross and the odd track day. I may even put a GoPro on the fender and go for a short drive with some weight in the car to see how close it does come to the flare. I attached a photo with the 225 50 15s, car empty. I think they are 7.5 inch rims, not sure of the offset though. The shorter tire would also give me a gearing advantage as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Garyrotor; 10-21-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #34
Garyrotor
The Newbie

Here is another angle of the rear tire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #35
lokirx706
Rotary Fan in Training

To be on the safe side you might want to have that fender lip rolled, pulled if you are really worried about it. But I think you might be alright, a 45 series should help.

Look up fender rolling, but Id advise you to have it done professionally, less chance to destroy the fender/paint.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #36
lokirx706
Rotary Fan in Training

Its that time of year, warm up sessions with little to no driving involved. Too much salt on the road.

I cant wait until spring!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #37
lokirx706
Rotary Fan in Training

Found some pics Trapspeed took of my car at an event this summer!