Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #16
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Prodigy will become famous soon enough

AWE......... YEAH!!!!!!

success if mine... but I'm gonna have to redo the PFC idle relearn feature, it idles fine, then as it gets warmer, it idles higher and higher (up to around 2400 rpm)

sorry you guys had to look at my face... it got caught up in the heat of the moment..

(oil pressure is not hooked up, thats why it shows no pressure :P)

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
There is no limit to my stubborness...... just ask any of my ex's

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

360 gamertag: Tichlis
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Too much time not adding more to thread...

too much talking on my part before...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6eq4ls2fn30v4h/YoVpCNVyGH

that is link to all the photos as I update them...

here are some Highlights... (done last summer)

CAR RUNS!!!!

(after some shenanigans with motor related stuff)
put lots of kms on in short time
bought some wicked in-expensive stock rims painted bronze from local member
Bought Touring springs and H&R lowering springs (assembled) form same member for $100!!! again a great deal....
installed replica FEED side skirts and the Shine "rear skirts"
replaced steering wheel
de-powered my steering rack (properly)
doing slow paced V-mount right now
redoing the old interior plastics
installed PLX wideband
turbos not seq boosting correctly (yet)
needs a tune after its all said and done

And helped convert another piston lover to FD owner

Skip to pics...

OR...

Long story (for those readers out there)

Put 10,000kms (6,000miles) on this past summer in just over 2 months... other then my seq boosting problem... she runs great...

Had to pull engine numerous times this summer... once to fix something (for get what...

second, cause dropped something down intake and broke diffuser trying to get it out (The REW will eat diffusers... cause it did... )

put it back in, then while trying to rebuild some compression in the engine, a friend was not being careful when using one of my jimmy rigged tools, and ended up having a piece of metal go *INTO* engine, so...

Third time it came out...

Pulled rear iron, got foreign object out... re-rear ironed the motor.. installed. then started and ran like a Champ.

Friend bought a FD that was in desperate need of some knowledgeable ownership... (the PO used a pry bar of some sort to "remove" various objects off the car.. the butterfly valve in the y pipe has a huge bend in it to match the chunk taken out.. (this is the car in the really Big garage) the car has blown turbos, so he bought a local low comp motor for $500 and is a great parts engine..

Things so far... To do, or have done.

Getting rid of SMIC, In slow Progress of build a Greddy FMIC converted to V-mount. as pics note, its gonna be awesome... Using Koyo N flo (unless someone local wants to trade plus cash for a no name brand one :P)
My goal is to have enough room between the IC rad to sneak in the filters for the Twins.. cause V mounts do a good job, but can do a Great job if the turbo gets fresh air..

Swapped out the ugly efini steering wheel for a later Mazda one, sold old wheel to friend, got a good deal on the new wheel... so that was my christmas present to myself

properly de-powered my rack cause I was getting pissed off always having it off to the side when doing engine pulls. Now its gone, and very easy to pull motor... thats the same reason I got rid of my AC, got in the way too much

Installed a PLX wide band, and matching gauge, into my real, little bit hacked up RE-A steering column gauge holder (thanks Supernaut)

Im redoing all my plastics with Plasti-Dip... was in the states over the summer and picked up 8 spray cans... its over $19 a can here... and just over $6 per can down there... so I sold a few for $10 each. I'm excited to have an interior that will make the car look much more modren cause its not scratched to all hell. Also fixing the Gauge Hood, Jesus bandaid cause I want it to all look the same. so its been epoxied with fiberglass renforcement, and now sanding down to make it look as nice and pretty. (see pics)

After the V-mount is done, and I have her running again, I'm going to dive into the engine and find out where I screwed up on my emissions removal/wiring harness redo/vacuum line redo.

and fix that Damn things, so they spool perfectly... Also installed to Prosport Manual Boost controllers so I can eliminate the wiring/solenoids/vac lines, for those two and Simplify things a bit...

Once its boosting properly, it going for a tune.. maybe to local tuner for a base tune.. then I'll post it up on the Datalogit group i'm in and see if the local guy knows his rotaries or not...

then I'll get there help to Fine tune it.

Then water/meth injection as per Mr Rice's recommendation... (would like to do preturbo on both twins... if possible while keeping the Airfilters)

only person I've seen do it so far.. is from the 7 club (look at his engine bay pic) I want to keep the air filters on...

http://www.rx7club.com/time-slips-dy...record-971246/

Pictures!!!!

Link to them all..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6eq4ls2fn30v4h/YoVpCNVyGH

Thats the Link to all of them..

Here are some Honorable mentions with quick caption...

at local Mazda Dealer, loving on the new ladies

wide band install and brother business shop after hours...

this reminded me of this...

Put away for winter in tiny garage im renting (cousins garage)

New wheel installed... look at album for old wheel pictures

me getting serious business while wearing Wankel Mechanic shirt, after pulling a few things to start fabbing V-mount

mostly sanded plastics... hood is not done due to needing to be fixed... hence the Band aids and Jesus Bandaid on them earlier...

FMIC ----> V-Mount dreaming/early test fit mock up...

My Uras Front Lip (probably going to plasti dip black...)
cause I like
to whore it out...

local car imported with same lip.. I HAD the only one I knew of in North America... guess not any more...

nice car though...

Rims and Springs shocks I bought from Local 1.5 hour away, Member for $100 for each set!!!!

There are a few other pictures in there as well...

one last one...

This is Lee ("Project D1" on 7 forum, with super wide and low CW 94)

Thats all for now...

Comments are welcome... I just dont want a shit fest... lol

PS. feel free to give me shit for taking to long in the future....

J.
Quote:

"The most respected cars in history are the ones which stick to their guns, do things differently and make no apologies for it."

Last edited by Prodigy; 02-15-2013 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: pics no work
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

I no pictures yet, but v mount is done, it looks very crude right now, but I just wanted it on the road to drive, I'll be switching to non-seq on my twins soon.

I'm trying to figure out a issue with my injectors. I'm running all factory currently, and I won't get above 50% duty cycle once the coolant temp is above 50*C. Going to switch out my engine harness to see if that is the cause.

I put those bronze rims, and my shine auto rear light lip, looks good (removed stock wing) now I'm going to plastic dip the car this winter cause I'm cheap and it'll be one solid color then...

Will post pics once I figure out how from my phone (comp got stolen)

J.
Quote:

Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

So quick, almost 2 year later update...

I ordered a few parts over the winter, doing the coveted single turd swap... bought a manifold from Elliot @ Turblown... great high quality piece... quute impressed actually...

So I am going with a Borg Warner 8374 IWG...
I swaped my PFC for a adaptronic, got lots of fuel ID 1000's & 2000's... FFE rails on there way, a big old GReddy FMIC converted for V mount with a Koyo N Flo...

I've been driving it the past 2 years... To busy driving to post i guess *shrugs*

So I'll post some pictures up soon, if I'm taking to long, feel freel to yell at me...

Jon.
Quote:

Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #20
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

Taking to LONG!
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
So I am going with a Borg Warner 8374 IWG...
You won't be disappointed. I have a 7670 EWG with short runner manifold and dual wastegates and I'll never go back. Starts spooling around 2k hitting 24psi around 3500. I'm thinking of stepping up to the 8374 next time though. I was concerned with fast spool and when I got mine in 2011 there weren't any other rotaries (that I knew of) that had them, so I stayed smaller to be sure. It seems that the 8374 spools just about as quick but with more top end, so I'm thinking of stepping up. I'd say those two sizes are perfect though for fast spool and good power.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #22
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Here is a Large Photo bomb of... Photos... lol

I'll try to keep words to a minimum....

1- motor being transported to get ported.

2- BNR Stage III setup. the "remove before flight" is a table I made to sit on the IC to protect the fins and add some bling/character when the hood is popped

3- Old Single setup I switched to, a ATS dual BB turbo, decent, but T4 open volute, left a bit to be desired...

4- Old single setup vs new Setup. EFR 8374 with one of Turblown's awesome quality Mani's, and Bracket. Seriously was kind of mad at the price, until I got it and seen the immense quality products he makes.

5- Comparison between 2 x EFR 8374's first is A/R 1.04 external wastegate, then my A/R0.92 Internal Wastegate, then a 4 liter jug of milk...

Onto the next post...

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2 (5).jpg (96.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20140411_001211.jpg (110.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20140927_193824.jpg (101.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150205_190818.jpg (84.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20150122_173952.jpg (79.5 KB, 10 views)
Quote:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #23
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Next Post

1- Shows just how low Elliot's manifold puts everything, I love its placement..

2- Showingt Clearence of his manifold with RHD cars (I do have aftermarket engine mounts but they are advertised as factory height, & I have PS deleted...)

3- Turbo coolant lines I got made and their clearance to the LIM

4- One of the reasons this turbo is so cool...

5- A MAJOR reason this turbo is F*cking awesome, the tech they have in this is second to none.

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150206_143203.jpg (119.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150206_143740.jpg (100.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150402_090746.jpg (76.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20150109_141853.jpg (73.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150109_140955.jpg (76.7 KB, 11 views)
Quote:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #24
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Post #3

1- New injectors... 1000x2 & 2000x2 ID.

2- New Rails, test fitting.

3- New FFE Trigger Setup and HAL Sensor, apparently my pocket was getting a hole burned, I am excited for 3x the resolution & less "drift" @ higher RPM = more accurate tuning from what the salesman inside my head told me...

4- Got my Dirty little hands on this huge rear tank for a Very Very good deal... was sitting in a local salvage yard FD (CDN car) for over 4 years and no one swiped it. I was so stupidly excited to score this thing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150209_125634.jpg (74.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20150319_143953.jpg (112.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20150319_144006.jpg (97.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20141119_215822.jpg (70.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20150416_183059.jpg (68.3 KB, 6 views)
Quote:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #25
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

next one...

1- Part of the new ignition setup I'm building with some reputable parts... DO it Right the first time, no half ass HKS twin bullshit stuff!!! I'm overly excited to get this part done so I can tune/turn up the boost from 10psi!!!!

2- after a Friend did some minor body work, right before I dipped the attention whore red (base coats) then onto the desired color Side note, got the Replica MS hood from a friend, it was black, changed it to Red with a few (6?) heavy coats of Plasti dip

3- 4 Layers of Red Plasti dip. You can see how the black is fading away into the red... Now onto the Killer Color choice (I think at least) Much more uniform color/look now...

4- Slight interruption of pictures to give you the Damaged LM's brought to a different color of Glory... I wanted Gray with blue speckles & got the opposite of that, Loved the Color enough to Make it work (you'll see)

5- Another shot of them the day I got them back from Powder Coating.

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141224_091646.jpg (107.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20140917_211008.jpg (55.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20140918_063425.jpg (59.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20140526_185550.jpg (135.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20140526_171943.jpg (107.0 KB, 6 views)
Quote:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

1- Got some stickers made for Canada Day/the week after. Yes I'm a little bit Patriotic, & I like to make people laugh...

2- Dr. Jekel & Mr. Hyde?

3- Anthrite Grey... I love how it looks.

4- DAT ASS....

5- Friend & Mine 1 day after dipping mine and at a car show 7 hr drive away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (139.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20140918_171659.jpg (66.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20140918_173430~01.jpg (83.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20140918_173447.jpg (81.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_075636.jpg (94.0 KB, 8 views)
Quote:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #27
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

1- @ Car show (1000+ cars there) they garnished some attention, The VR FD beside mine was DD at this point as was mine...

2- If you look carefully in the background you'll see another FD, He trailered it up from Spokane, Very nice/clean LHD car.

3- Better shot showing off the Color of the Rims/Dip

4- Sakebomb Fire bottle Holder

5- Fresh Air intake I built for the Twins, Now It needs to be rebuilt for the EFR.

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140920_161313~01.jpg (184.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_161319.jpg (157.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_161324.jpg (160.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20150501_140516.jpg (78.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20140521_000524.jpg (115.9 KB, 5 views)
Quote:

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #28
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

1- EWG mani vs IWG Mani... the one of the RIGHT was heavier, by a large margin... thank you schedule 40 pipe...

2- New 3.5" Down & Mid Pipes, attached to a HKS 'silent' 3" catback... its super hella loud... too much in fact...

3- closer pic of transition etc. Friend (DieselDakota) built it from scratch... quite happy with how it turned out.

4- Aquamist HFS-5 Pump location, pulling from that Giant rear tank...

5- Friends FD doing DD duties @ Costco...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141130_131922.jpg (87.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20150417_232952.jpg (124.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20150417_233000.jpg (100.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20140608_180112.jpg (102.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20141005_172815.jpg (148.4 KB, 6 views)
Quote:

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #29
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

1- twins with fresh air Intake under charge piping..

2- ATS Turbo with shorty 4" filter... and 'lets make this run' charge piping (it hurt more to look at in real life)

3- EFR Charge Pipe... (will get better photos soon)

4- Because Maintenance...

5- My Current project (HID retro fit into Factory Housing...) Friend is helping with this

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140719_213411.jpg (119.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20140911_191511.jpg (95.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20150419_093024.jpg (126.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20141012_171652.jpg (62.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20141227_173912.jpg (74.5 KB, 5 views)
Quote:

Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #30
Prodigy
Half bubble off plumb

Last Picture... I think it fits us pretty good...

Considering How much I've spent just this year, and still might be. Ohlin's anyone? that picture hits home... lol

I also just scored a new to me clutch, twin disc made by Cabonectics... so that will help put the power down & hopefully keep things from breaking...

I have a Mounting Bracket from Rice on the Way for the M&W CDI COP coil setup that will be amazing to have on the car, looking forward to that...

One of the biggest pet peeves of mine is the off color engine bay/door jams, so I might pull the car partially apart one set of days off that I'm feeling kind of stupid/energetic and paint them more of a matching color then VR.

Looking forward to surprising new 580hp GT-R's on the hi-way this year

That's all for right now.

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rx-7_owners-600x400.jpg (45.1 KB, 8 views)
Quote: