Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n __________________
\r\n 1988 T2- Breakin complete
\r\nBoosting 5-7 PSI
\r\n
\r\nCurrently attending Universal Technical Institute (UTI) of Sacramento, Ca.
\r\nClasses: Automotive and Toyota/Lexus elective\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n Apex944 is offline\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n  \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n'; pd[45243] = '\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n Old\r\n 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n  \r\n #2\r\n \r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n Apex944\r\n
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Apex944
The Newbie

Apex944 is on a distinguished road
Default NO Timing marks at all

So, I have set the timing per the FSM.
Set to yellow leading mark which is -5 degree's, set the CAS gear to the dot, pull the cover off the CAS to make sure it does not rotate, start the car.

Well, when I start the car with it setup like this the car will NOT run.
I have to cut off fuel, pump the throttle a few times, it starts firing and I turn the fuel back on and it runs like shit. I try to rev and it doesnt do anything until I let off and then it revs up a little.

So I started going through each tooth on the CAS until I found one that worked.
It happened to be about the 3rd tooth before the correct one when looking at the top of the CAS.

So, when it's setup 3 teeth or so from the one it's supposed to be on it fires up on first try. Runs excellent, revs beautifully, no issues other than my timing marks are out of sight completely no matter how far I turn the CAS. I even grinded out the slot on the CAS to allow it to retard farther and it still will not line up.

The marks are on the far left side of the pulley when looking from the front of the engine.

I tried moving the CAS 1-2 teeth in both directions and it just makes it run like complete shit.

I have changed pullies to make sure it wasnt the pulley and there wasnt any difference.

I could have put the drive gear on backwards, but I don't think it would be so far off that I couldnt reach it with the grinded out CAS slot method.

I retarded the CAS as far as it would go until it hit my block and the marks were still far off.

Here's a few pic's of my CAS setup....

I checked my timing with a snap-on timing light earlier tonight and according to it, I am 120 degree's advanced from -5 leading timing yet the car runs fine.....

Any idea's?

It run's great and makes great power, just the timing scares me a little.

I will be at 7 stock on the 26th with my car if anybody wants to take a look at it and help me out

Thanks for any help

Currently attending Universal Technical Institute (UTI) of Sacramento, Ca.
Classes: Automotive and Toyota/Lexus elective
Apex944 is offline   Reply With Quote