Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section..

Rotary Tech - General Rotary Engine related tech section.. Tech section for general Rotary Engine... This includes, building 12As, 13Bs, 20Bs, Renesis, etc...

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough
Default Ash content corrolations to Pre-Ignition

This information may be old, but does anyone have anything else to say about it?

I'm reading a paper on Engine oil lubrication for the Rotary Engine (RE), and there seems to be a strong correlation between ash content and pre-ignition events.

For instance an oil that contains <0.05 Sulphated ash % by weight took more than 40 (2.5 hrs run time = 1 cycle) cycles before the first pre-ignition event. For the second run it took 35, for each consecutive run there were no pre-ignition events. Compare that to oils that have relatively high ash contents (1.2, 0.9) which experienced their first pre-ignition event within 8 cycles.

On the market today, how many oils are there that have a lower Ash content similar to the <0.05? Do synthetic oils use base stock with that low of an ash content? I tried looking at Royal Purples website, but they offer no insight on the ash content of their product.

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Cp1 is on a distinguished road

i can tell you without a doubt that knock goes up when plugs start to get fouled even a little bit which in turn causes them to foul and even cake up even faster.
Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread: http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=5157
Cp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

So how do we tell the ash content of oils? I tried looking up the API ratings, and they only dictate ash content on diesel oils.

Last edited by vex; 03-27-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Cp1
Rotary Fanatic

Cp1 is on a distinguished road

good question do they not put that info on motorcycle or 2-stroke oil?
Re-upholster your FD's console or anything else... ask me how! Thread: http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=5157
Cp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

I'll check. I'm still looking, but I found an engine oil that does list it's ash content from the ASTM D 874 to be 0.88

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php...day_Engine_Oil

That's rather high, and not good engine oil for our motors... so beware.

http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._Oil_Guide.pdf

Is a good guide, but only references Ash in the CJ-4 rating.

Still looking:
http://www.purvisbros.com/supduty.htm
Pennzoil Supreme Fleet Oil has 1.4%

Quote:
There's a second good reason you shouldn't use car oil in your motorbike - sulfated ash. It's common in many American & Canadian modern oils; without burnt oil discoloring it, it normally has a light-gray to pale-tan colouration which may become visible if you shear a bit of the debris. When coloured by oil, it looks like the dreaded sludge. Unfortunately, the API SH-SL ratings are not strict enough on sulfated ash content. It's an issue that's fairly well known in some motorcycling circles, and the Japanese motorcycle industry recognized the issue very early on, creating a new oil specification specific to their needs (one, that among other things, caps the sulfated ash content very low): JASO-MA, recently revised further into to JASO-MA1 & JASO-MA2. For motorcyclists, the sulfated ash content poses a secondary issue: it means higher quantities of sulfuric acid if water gets introduced into the oil (such as from condensation within the galley spaces); since most motorcycle engines share the oil with both the engine and the transmission, the sulfuric acid is particularly problematic as the metals used in the transmission selector forks are made of cheaper steels that don't stand up to the acid nearly as well as most engine components.
The most informative I could find so far.

Last edited by vex; 03-27-2009 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

I've been picking the brains of my local car club about this and it seems like we'd want to run diesel oil (CJ-4 rating). This is what I got from there
Quote:
People run diesel oils (HDEOs) all the time in gas engines, it's rarely any issue at all. In fact, I believe in many benefits to this for turbocharged gas engines because these oils typically are more tailored to turbochargers. They typically have higher TBNs as well which means longer oil life and a better base oil to start with (rather than just souping up crappy base oil with additive pack). The only way to know for sure what the ash content is, is to look at the UOAs (Used Oil Analysis) on a place like BITOG. There are specific forums for HDEOs as well as Sx-class oils. Many HDEOs meet SM or whatever specs anyway, so it doesn't matter much.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Max777
Pirate

Max777 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting stuff right there!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

completely procrastinating my studying for Operational methods test tomorrow:
These are from Bob Is The Oil Guy website/forum. All are Virgin oil analysis'.

Last edited by vex; 03-30-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Although slightly off topic those who are running Two Stroke oil (aka, premix). I'm curious what you think about this:

If you notice, the apex wear is about 19.6 Micrometers/hour of operation which is roughly 17.4 more micrometers/hour of wear when compared to conventional oils. Is it really beneficial to go to Premix with these statistics?

Last edited by vex; 04-02-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
NoDOHC
The quest for more torque

NoDOHC will become famous soon enough

tell me if i am wrong, but wasn't that being compared to ATF and found to have half the wear?

If I interpreted the data correctly, 19.6 um/ 2.5 hours with only 1.5 mm allowable wear (8.0 mm stock, 6.5 mm allowed) gives about 200 hours (12,000 miles) before wear becomes a problem on a premixed rotary (which I really don't believe). Granted, this is full-throttle useage, but that number seems out there a little.

I have seen 150,000 mile rotaries with 6.9 mm of apex seal left.

I am not sure that these are 2.5 hour cycles.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDOHC View Post
tell me if i am wrong, but wasn't that being compared to ATF and found to have half the wear?

If I interpreted the data correctly, 19.6 um/ 2.5 hours with only 1.5 mm allowable wear (8.0 mm stock, 6.5 mm allowed) gives about 200 hours (12,000 miles) before wear becomes a problem on a premixed rotary (which I really don't believe). Granted, this is full-throttle useage, but that number seems out there a little.

I have seen 150,000 mile rotaries with 6.9 mm of apex seal left.

I am not sure that these are 2.5 hour cycles.
I'll have to double check what the cycle times were for the endurance run. But yes, that was comparing ATF to Two Stroke.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Heeley
Rotary Fan in Training

Heeley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I'll have to double check what the cycle times were for the endurance run. But yes, that was comparing ATF to Two Stroke.
So if i'm interpreting things correctly, does this mean that using ATF in an oil injection system is better for apex seal lubrication over 2 stroke? Then what would be the comparison to engine oil? and at what point does the ash content come into play? Doesn't it just trade off one problem for another?
Heeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeley View Post
So if i'm interpreting things correctly, does this mean that using ATF in an oil injection system is better for apex seal lubrication over 2 stroke?
No, Two stroke out performs ATF with slowing Apex seal wear
Quote:
Then what would be the comparison to engine oil?
See later posts regarding that
Quote:
and at what point does the ash content come into play?
Pre-Ignition events. The lower the ash content the less likely a pre-ignition event occurs
Quote:
Doesn't it just trade off one problem for another?
Not really. We're looking for low ash content which is reflective in the base oil being excellently refined. We're also looking for an additive package that still cleans and protects. The protection comes from the oil and additives, not from the ash and impurities.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Here's the procedure for the endurance test:
A succession of mixed low-speed/low-output (2500 rev/
min and 20 hp) and high-speed/high-output (6000 rev/
min and 100 hp) sequences followed by idling, for 96 h.
Each individual sequence lasts 6 h.

Which mean's it's 19.6/96h = .204167 micrometers/hour compared to the 13.5/96h = .140625 micrometers/hour, which is significantly less than the two stroke. Redoing your math we have:
1500/.204167=7346.94 hours assuming 60 miles/hour of operation speed gives us a little over 440,816 miles.
1500/.140625=10666.767 hours of operation assuming 60 mph of operation gives us a little over 640,006 miles

Using standard oil instead of two stroke has the theoretical ability to last 1/3 longer than two stroke.

Last edited by vex; 04-03-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
NoDOHC
The quest for more torque

NoDOHC will become famous soon enough

I think I am confused. I read 38 um / cycle wear for ATF and 19.6 um / cycle wear for two-cycle oil. Is the 13.5 published somewhere else that I can't immediately see?

The 96 hour cycle makes a lot more sense, but I am still confused about the above numbers.

Also, this test was likely done with the same quantity of each oil injected through the stock oil injection system. This data does not prove that additional two-cycle oil increases seal wear.

Last edited by NoDOHC; 04-04-2009 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: typo
NoDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote