Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough
Default How many of you got an Accessport thingy??

Well, After I filled up my 8 this morning (11.4 gallons - 155 miles).. I thought I check and see if this Cobb accessport thingy is worth the money to invest (power and mpg).

And yes, I don't just putt around in my 8 to get 14MPG.. I drive like a mad man in my 8.. I usually get 10MPG on my FD when I drive around town And since the gas is cheap, I don't mind that much... but maybe its worth it when the gas is 3-4 dollars??

Just wanted some input from those who have this unit... Pros and Cons.. At this point, I have no intention of going FI..

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
I8U
KONI Challenge Crew

I8U is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with it yet, I will be buying one from MazdaManiac very soon though. I only hear good things about it though.
04 TiGray RX8 MT, LS2 coil setup, 3" midpipe, HKS Hi-power 3" exhaust, TEIN S-Techs, Hotchkis Adj F/R sways, K&N Typhoon V2, Steel braided brake lines, Redline drivetrain fluids, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, Cobalt XR2/GTS brake combo, MB Motorpsorts Weapons 18x9 +45 offset, 275/35's
I8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
CyberPitz
The Newbie

CyberPitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8U View Post
I have no experience with it yet, I will be buying one from MazdaManiac very soon though. I only hear good things about it though.
This..pretty much exactly.
CyberPitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
bose

bose is on a distinguished road

The AccessPort is good for a number of reasons. It just calibrates your 8 so it's not running so pig rich. Can give you (on a stock car) 10hp not a lot yes but your car is just running better. It ups the amount of oil injected into the rotor housing for better lube, always a good thing. You can have your idle set anywhere you want and raise the redline as well. And probably more this is just what I remember.
bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
05rex8
Turbo 8

05rex8 is on a distinguished road

it is a good idea to buy it from mazdamaniac as it comes with the free calibration service...otherwise you are stuck with the cobb maps that don't do too much. if you do happen to buy it from someone else other than mazdamaniac, you can purchase the calibration service however for around $300.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Jedi54
Jedi Master

Jedi54 is on a distinguished road

I love my AccessPort thingy muh jiggy.
I bought it from Mazdamaniac mainly because of the Calibration Service. Will it make more power? yeah it will but there's better reasons to buy it:
- Increased OMP settings (more oil is a good thing)
- Fans kick on much sooner
- Leans out the AFR's. The stock mazda programming runs very rich. I would hit 11.1 AFR as early as 3800 rpm with the old mazda tune.

Oh, and did I mention I picked up about 15 whp?
Jedi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
zoomx2bob
The Newbie

zoomx2bob is on a distinguished road

A couple quick questions. How much of an improvement in mpg are people seeing during long freeway trips? I drive 100 miles one way to work & the only thing really holding me back from purchasing a new R3 is the fuel mileage.

Also, I notice that there aren't any programs currently listed for the '09s & '10s?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
05rex8
Turbo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomx2bob View Post
A couple quick questions. How much of an improvement in mpg are people seeing during long freeway trips? I drive 100 miles one way to work & the only thing really holding me back from purchasing a new R3 is the fuel mileage.

Also, I notice that there aren't any programs currently listed for the '09s & '10s?

Thanks
There is not an AccessPort yet for the 09+. However, I've heard it's in the works. I'm sure mazdamaniac knows the details.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Rotr8
The Newbie

Rotr8 is on a distinguished road

If your getting heavily involved with doing your own tunning you might also want to consider Hymee's Protuner, I will be recieving mine in about 2 weeks, if not and you dont want to dive deep the MM Cobb may be a cheaper solution. The Protuner is a little bit more expensive but doesnt require an addition calibration charge,,, Look into both, they are both great and fairly competative products,,,

http://www.performancedesign.com.au/...pro_tuner.html
Rotr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Chibana
The Michigan "WANKEL"

Chibana is on a distinguished road

On the "other RX-8" forums, it was recently posted by MazdaManiac that they will have news of the AccessPort for Series II RX-8s on January 4th. I'm very excited!
Chibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
BurnVktm
The Newbie

BurnVktm is on a distinguished road

I'm quite pleased with my Cobb A/P that I bought from MazdaManiac. Though it still needs fine tuning it has already paid for itself with the increased OMP to the engine.

MM also has a setting for improved MPG that you(herblenny) will be interested in.
BurnVktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
05rex8
Turbo 8

^I don't think Phil (Herblenny) has an 8 any more
Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
Herblenny
Founder/Administrator/Internet Pitbull :)

Herblenny will become famous soon enoughHerblenny will become famous soon enough

I don't...

Got a new daily... Acura TL.

I needed something bit bigger and more comfortable. So far I like the TL as a daily (no more shifting and smoother ride) but not as fun when turning

DGRR 2013 - Year of 13B
www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com

http://www.facebook.com/Herblenny
Herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
willnordacgreen1211
Rotary Fanatic

willnordacgreen1211 is on a distinguished road

^ damn that 8 was nice... o well you have the fd everyone was talking about at IA so it makes up for it lol
willnordacgreen1211 is offline   Reply With Quote