Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc...

Interior, Stereo, Body kits, etc... Place where you could talk about car care, body kits, painting your car, Carbon Fiber, Thumping Stereo, etc..

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
infernosg
IT'S ALIVE!

infernosg is on a distinguished road
Default Fused Starter?

I've noticed a lot of people relocating their batteries to the cabin use a ~150A breaker right after the battery then run a large gauge wire to the stock pickup point in the engine bay. This obviously results in the starter being restricted to ~150A+. The stock setup doesn't have the starter fused but I'm not aware of people with relocated batteries tripping breakers left and right. Do our starters really draw less than 150A? I know some V8 starters can pull 200A+.
infernosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

2 - 3 tries on an FC turbo starter will trip a 100A no problem.
Each try averaging about 5 - 10 seconds.
I would recommend a minimum of 150A on the circuit breakers, unless you like tripping and resetting them all the time.
It could be used as a security feature?
A good, working starter should fire the engine on the first try.

I run a pair of old-school 200A circuit breakers and have had zero problems of them tripping with the starter.
You can find 150A units pretty easily, but I can't find higher rated ones like these anymore these days.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote