Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002)

RX-7 3rd Gen Specific (1993-2002) RX-7 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Garfinkles Motor Works
RCC Contributor

Garfinkles Motor Works is on a distinguished road
Default Garfinkles oil pan brace

I am trying to find out how many people and shops are in the market for my oil pan braces .If there is enough customers I will have another batch made .I must have 28 cut at a time and the machine shop that does the cutting and the other shop that does the milling said they will do them for the same price as last time .The price has gone up twice sence the first batch was done and the price of the bolts has gone up .The price of steel is to blame .I will hold the price at $100 plus $25 shipping and handling.This is the price I asked from the first batch . If you need one in the near future put your name on this thread .If I see that is enough business I will have them cut and ask that those on the list to step up .I as told by several that if I made oil metering pump block off plate kits they would buy. The kits were made and none have sold .I do not need to spend thousands for stock to set on a shelf .Thanks for reading this and if you say you need one please order one if they are made .I will post that info here .Thanks to the people who have ordered in the past .

Garfinkles Motor Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
RXJJang
The Newbie

RXJJang is on a distinguished road

I'm in for one. Thanks!
RXJJang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
howard coleman
The Newbie

howard coleman is on a distinguished road

Hey David, here's hoping you can do another run of your best in class engine block braces.

they are on every engine i build although i am now down to zero supply. the brace adds stiffness to the 5 major block components in addition to assuring no oil leaks from the pan.

as you can see from the pics it is exquisitely designed and executed. just look at how perfect the reliefs are milled for the pan flutes.

when recently faced w the possibility of no further Garfinkle braces i took one to a fairly sophisticated shop i work with and asked them to give me a quote.

bottom line is you must have an amazing deal as i ended up w a quote right at your sales price. BTW, i never, repeat never, will offer the unit unless you are totally out of the market.

put me down for five and i will need a continuing supply as i consider them an essential part of my engines. (www.colemanprecisonrotaries.com)

i also think your engine torque brace should be on all FDs...

good luck,

howard
howard coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Garfinkles Motor Works
RCC Contributor

Garfinkles Motor Works is on a distinguished road

Thank you Howard ,this is a low profit part but I have sold alot of them untill the money crunch hit .If several more people are in need I will do another batch .I will deside a week or two after the busy holidays .
Garfinkles Motor Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
ColdFeet
The Newbie

ColdFeet is on a distinguished road

+1
ColdFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
lwnslw
Rotary Fanatic

lwnslw is on a distinguished road

Please add me to the list.
I was going to pull my motor this week BUT it can wait till the brace is in.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Signal 2
Viable Fossil

Signal 2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Four years and about 30k miles WITH one of David's braces. Still dry as a bone. Ask other FD owners without one if they can say the same thing.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Signal 2;176957]Four years and about 30k miles WITH one of David's braces. Still dry as a bone. Ask other FD owners without one if they can say the same thing.

^ Well yes! since you asked

I run 600bhp @ 26.5psi on a T04Z on a stock std 13B-REW no extra pieces of steel on the bottom like pictured or rubbish engine butchering aftermarket drilled out studs etc/extra dowels LOL. . .. . .. .
And no problem at all, 3 years + 20,000km covered and counting, no leaks, no "twisting" running far higher power and boost daily then many others claim.....
It's called 3 Bond 1215 OEM Japan made sealant + acetone, proper preparation, correct tension on sump bolts, nothing beyond anyone competent = NO ISSUES
Old 10A rotaries had these steel strips on the bottom of the pans, I have never seen them since those days, but then again quality sealants have made those types of devices redundant IMHO.

All that said, the part GFMW makes looks nice and if I was forced to use an inferior rubbish eg: Permatex/Loctite LOL sealant or a paper dressed gasket then I would maybe use one myself
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration

Last edited by RICE RACING; 12-29-2011 at 11:25 PM..
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Signal 2
Viable Fossil

Signal 2 is on a distinguished road

Proper prep and torque is assumed. And my endorsement of a forum vendor's product stands. I wasn't forced to use anything. I chose David's brace and the sealant I used because both have a great track record.

If one gets banned from their own country's forum and everyone else is glad, would an oil pan leak on his car even be noticed? Would anyone care?

Last edited by Signal 2; 12-30-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Signal 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
RICE RACING
Don Mega

Wink Haters and forum dwellers love em !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal 2 View Post
Proper prep and torque is assumed. And my endorsement of a forum vendor's product stands. I wasn't forced to use anything. I chose David's brace and the sealant I used because both have a great track record.

If one gets banned from their own country's forum and everyone else is glad, would an oil pan leak on his car even be noticed? Would anyone care?
LOL

There is thing called tall poppy syndrome, you and others who are glad suffer badly from this LOL.

The difference between me and the rest is everyone still follows me, no matter what forum I CHOOSE TO BE ON, don't ever confuse that fact

So no amount of disparaging "commentary" from people like you changes the fact that a pan brace is irrelevant here, but thanks for your comment you are the ONE who was big noting yourself and asking if any other FD owner has the same result as yourself I replied and you replied with A Typical crap a HATER would
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I think the discussion can move on.
Both sides have clearly stated their case and provided enough input to not have to edit any of the replies.
(Would've liked to move this thread in the proper vendor's forum and let the vendor decide what is appropriate... :P )

Side note, I agree with RICE RACING's comment on 3Bond products...
All the major Japan manufacturers use their specialized formula - i.e. Mazdabond, Hondabond, Yamabond, etc. - for use on their OEM sealants.
Too bad this stuff is VERY expensive in the USA.
Last time I checked, a 100g(?) tube from the Mazda dealer was over $100!?!?
That Permatex crap is just easy to find and cheap at under $10 a tube - big price difference.
Permatex's only saving grace was being able to offer Hylomar (HPF) a few years back, but they lost the license to do so... boooo...

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
RICE RACING
Don Mega

I worked for Loctite in the early 90's

Permatex is just the "battler" brand (marketing scam) of Loctite LOL, what they do is use lower grade constituents and pigments to give it a poofter blue color or copper color for exhaust joints lol. They re brand it and package it for the "Automotive repair Market" LOL... Typically its of a lower grade than what the Loctite Branded items are. It's all a bit of a bad joke really when you are in at the ground level and know how all this works but not many if forum world have worked in any of these industries, rather only posting crap and following the words of haters and nobodies, being hated by these people is fine as they are just rejects of life finding a home on a local forum to talk about how much they know LOL.

Loctite's only good branded sealant that comes about half way near the 3 Bond 1215 is called OEM 5699 grey sealant, it is pretty good stuff if you are stuck and cant get 3 bond, but really what price do you pay to not have an oil leak? Otherwise if you use an inferior sealant then you have to use a quality piece like GFMW makes here to help the pan seal up o.k. long term.
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
RICE RACING
Don Mega

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
Permatex's only saving grace was being able to offer Hylomar (HPF) a few years back, but they lost the license to do so... boooo...

-Ted
I used Hylomar once on the advise from Jim Tanner @ Racing Beat, that was the worst shit I have ever used in my life! I am not sure why anyone would use that trash.

I use Molykote 111 Valve and O'Ring lubricant

, it is a non hardening silicone made by Dow Corning (the inventors of silicone! and also supply it to fill bitches titties!) and it is the ULTIMATE for lubricating all O'rings and oil seals, it lasts the life of the motor and there is no head fuck clean up associated with its use unlike Hylomar!

For the legs and pan and anywhere else you need a seal 3 bond 1215 is the go.

OEM seal, OEM look, OEM no leaks! PERIOD!

SHIT needs to be CLEAN!!! EAT OFF IT CLEAN!!!! most don't do this and wonder why they get a leak LOL noobies, nobodies, internet dwellers
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration

Last edited by RICE RACING; 12-30-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I've started a thread for the Molykote 111 in General Rotary Tech here:
http://www.rotarycarclub.com/rotary_...ad.php?t=15170

Would love to keep this discussion going and keep this thread on-topic...

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
730RWHP12A
Rotary Fanatic

730RWHP12A is on a distinguished road

i use a sealer made by permatex called the right stuff. never had issues with oil leaks..

rotaryshack.com
730RWHP12A is offline   Reply With Quote