Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Vendors and Group Buys > All Vendors > BNR Turbos

BNR Turbos www.bnrturbos.com (AL) Custom and rebuilt turbochargers

Welcome to Rotary Car Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
ball joint
The Newbie

ball joint is on a distinguished road
Talking BNR stage 3's (470whp 400tq)

I haven't had a had chance to completely dial in my tune since I fitted the 4" thick ETS front mount, AEM coils, and external wastegate but I had a chance to dyno the car on Slow Motion Motorsports Dynapack (which is the same dynapack Logan at Defined tunes on). Needless to say; was happy with the results but I know there's still more in it as I was only running 19psi for this pull. I was getting breakup at high RPM as it's still too rich up top but I was still able to get the peak power and torque numbers before it started to breakup at high RPM.

Here's the link to the original thread from when I broke the BNR record which has more details about the build.http://www.rx7club.com/time-slips-dy...record-971246/

If you're curious about the external wastegate on the stock frame turbos here's that thread as well.
http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generatio...-done-1000553/

Time to update this part of your website :-)
"The BNR Stage 3's have the world record on most RWHP made off bolt up hybrid turbochargers for the RX7! 426 RWHP and 365 RWTQ was made at 18 psi of boost! "

Last edited by ball joint; 05-14-2013 at 05:07 PM..
ball joint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Curious to what your EGT's and EMAP was.
what are you running for an ECU?
Pump or race gas?
timing and AFRS @ peak TQ?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Pump or race gas?

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
ball joint
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Pump or race gas?
No idea on EGT's and EMAP.
Power FC
Pump gas with water injection 70/30 water/meth
11advance and around 11.0:1 at peak TQ
Old 05-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Not to be a dick...... but that's quite brave not knowing those two pieces of information when tuning like that....

I would be VERY curious to know what EMAP is and how that external WG dropped it... more importantly - EGT's.

I took my BNR's to under 1B of boost and netted 385wheel in a 3rd gear run on a 6 spd... probably would've been well into the 400's with a 1:1 tranny and stopped tuning there.... EGT's were climbing to 1750 and EMAP was above 2B.... totally ineffiecient.

And not the most obvious question...... with a torque curve like that.... why not go single?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
C. Ludwig
Rotary Masochist

C. Ludwig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not to be a dick....but with a torque curve like that.... why not go single?

One stop Haltech, AEM, Syvecs shopping. Installation and tuning.
http://www.lms-efi.com
Free support. Drop us an email.
chris@lms-efi.com
502-515-7482
Facebook @LMS-EFI
C. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
mazpower
Rawr Bearclaw

mazpower will become famous soon enough

I'd love to see this car on a Dyno Dynamics or Superflow dyno. I have yet to see an accurate run on a Dynapack, they're always inflated. Not knocking you OP, in either case impressive numbers for BNRs.
mazpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

When you test them in real life, like in a car and see how fast they accelerate then you truly know how much power you have

Do you have access to a VBOX? I can share heaps of twins cars (BNR's, RF420's, other custom units and stock at up to 1.5bar boost) I have tested and they are MUCH slower irrespective of dyno types used to get the numbers. Check out my web page under VBOX testing and dyno dreams.

http://www.riceracing.com.au/vbox-ii...ing-tuning.htm < *see where you fit here* see real VBOX power @ wheels and I call dyno dynamics BS machines LOL as they give inflated numbers LOL

Do a simple test of your car in 3rd gear from 90kmh to 140kmh and let me know how fast it is. Lets add it to the FAST FD thread
You will be around 3.2 to 3.4 second range is my guess single turbo on lower boost is under 3 seconds as per TTT's comments. and really fast cars are cracking 2 second barrier.with same 470rwhp LOL but its real power based of physics! not dyno guesses with mythical factors in software code

FAST FD thread >>>>> http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=14704
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration

Last edited by RICE RACING; 05-15-2013 at 10:08 PM..
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #9
RICE RACING
Don Mega

RICE RACING will become famous soon enough

I like your project too (just read the thread on the external gate mod)

It is the reason why I never went to do it after trying so many vendors twins run in parallel ........... the boost curve and matching torque is always poor.

By example my 82mm compressor 1400bhp capable turbo spools faster and earlier than your twins but it is not as cool LOL.......... I think that is what TTT is getting at with his single comments.

The BNR's I tested showed the same power band as you have found and its roughly line ball with a ball bearing GT28 cartridges run in the twins frame in parallel. Just a poor set up really but if you want to do it then its your car and everyone is different.

Will be good if you can test it and we can see how fast it is

90kmh to 140kmh in 3rd
100kmh to 200kmh (3rd to 4th) and lets see some numbers
Coil on Plug
Water Injection
ECU Calibration
RICE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
ball joint
The Newbie

I'll see if I can get my hands on a V-Box to get numbers. As for the dyno number, on BNR's website the power numbers they list are from GoodfellaFD3s when he ran them, and he did it on a Dynapak. This Dynapak is the same Dynapak that Logan at Defined tunes on, so if my numbers are BS; then so are the numbers he makes on his N/A 3-rotor.

As for why I haven't gone single, for the same reason that I tune rotary's, it's different and it's unexplored territory. I will go single one of these days, but until then I want to see what is possible with the stock frame turbos.

Thanks for all the compliments!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
JhnRX7
Rotary Fanatic

JhnRX7 is on a distinguished road

I believe what Rice is saying is that using a dyno to rate the performance of your car is ill conceived as each dyno reads a bit differently (even between same manufactures) and it is not accurately comparable. Dyno's are primarily a tuning tool regardless of how the masses actually use them.

Using a V-Box or similar GPS based performance meter you can accurately measure the rate of acceleration of your car. This can then be directly compared to the measured figures of other cars to give you a good baseline of the performance of your car. Granted, doing this correctly is slightly more difficult than strapping your car down to a dyno because you will likely be breaking any posted speed limits and you need a flat stretch of clear road.
JhnRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE RACING View Post
When you test them in real life, like in a car and see how fast they accelerate then you truly know how much power you have

Do you have access to a VBOX? I can share heaps of twins cars (BNR's, RF420's, other custom units and stock at up to 1.5bar boost) I have tested and they are MUCH slower irrespective of dyno types used to get the numbers. Check out my web page under VBOX testing and dyno dreams.

http://www.riceracing.com.au/vbox-ii...ing-tuning.htm < *see where you fit here* see real VBOX power @ wheels and I call dyno dynamics BS machines LOL as they give inflated numbers LOL

Do a simple test of your car in 3rd gear from 90kmh to 140kmh and let me know how fast it is. Lets add it to the FAST FD thread
You will be around 3.2 to 3.4 second range is my guess single turbo on lower boost is under 3 seconds as per TTT's comments. and really fast cars are cracking 2 second barrier.with same 470rwhp LOL but its real power based of physics! not dyno guesses with mythical factors in software code

FAST FD thread >>>>> http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=14704
Truff.... I need to find a VBox.... I believe a poster or 2 in this thread have one....

Quote:
I like your project too (just read the thread on the external gate mod)
I like it as well... I've said for years that the turbo's are capable, but the mani and the plumbing are what really hold them back.... then again, I'm logging EMAP and the individual compressor outputs and pre-intercooler AIT's... I'm not just guess

Quote:
It is the reason why I never went to do it after trying so many vendors twins run in parallel ........... the boost curve and matching torque is always poor.

By example my 82mm compressor 1400bhp capable turbo spools faster and earlier than your twins but it is not as cool LOL.......... I think that is what TTT is getting at with his single comments.
Basically exactely what I'm getting at....

Quote:
Will be good if you can test it and we can see how fast it is

90kmh to 140kmh in 3rd
100kmh to 200kmh (3rd to 4th) and lets see some numbers
That....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball joint View Post
I'll see if I can get my hands on a V-Box to get numbers. As for the dyno number, on BNR's website the power numbers they list are from GoodfellaFD3s when he ran them, and he did it on a Dynapak. This Dynapak is the same Dynapak that Logan at Defined tunes on, so if my numbers are BS; then so are the numbers he makes on his N/A 3-rotor.

As for why I haven't gone single, for the same reason that I tune rotary's, it's different and it's unexplored territory. I will go single one of these days, but until then I want to see what is possible with the stock frame turbos.

Thanks for all the compliments!
In that case.... go for it! Personally I got tired of replacing cartridges 2-4 times a year so I gave up with the twin idea... on the stock mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnRX7 View Post
I believe what Rice is saying is that using a dyno to rate the performance of your car is ill conceived as each dyno reads a bit differently (even between same manufactures) and it is not accurately comparable. Dyno's are primarily a tuning tool regardless of how the masses actually use them.
THAT..... although... I've been "street tuning" my car for years now... there are certain places you cannot get to on a dyno, and certain places you can't get to on the street....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnRX7 View Post
Using a V-Box or similar GPS based performance meter you can accurately measure the rate of acceleration of your car. This can then be directly compared to the measured figures of other cars to give you a good baseline of the performance of your car. Granted, doing this correctly is slightly more difficult than strapping your car down to a dyno because you will likely be breaking any posted speed limits and you need a flat stretch of clear road.
John, you and Dan have a VBox correct? That's not the box I used @ Lightning that day is it?

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
JhnRX7
Rotary Fanatic

JhnRX7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In that case.... go for it! Personally I got tired of replacing cartridges 2-4 times a year so I gave up with the twin idea... on the stock mani
THIS! Im about to jump ship from the twins myself... Just lost another cartridge and I have not even done a track day yet this season. I had the twins on and off about 8 times last year (for various reasons), not sure if I can bring myself to do it again.

Quote:
THAT..... although... I've been "street tuning" my car for years now... there are certain places you cannot get to on a dyno, and certain places you can't get to on the street....
I have completely tuned my car on the street, however I REALLY want to get onto a load dyno to do some steady state tuning. BTW, my ECU setup has changed a bit since we last spoke.

Quote:
John, you and Dan have a VBox correct? That's not the box I used @ Lightning that day is it?
Correct, and it is the same one you used. We have a Racelogic Performance Box. It is made by the same company as the V-Box, but is less expensive than a full blown V-Box. Great for track days and acceleration tests.
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php/en/our-products

As another option, you could get the GPS unit for your AIM dash and it will accomplish the same thing. However you cant transfer that between cars.
JhnRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
ball joint
The Newbie

I've been looking more into EMap since your suggestion and have found conflicting advice. What sensor/method do you recommend in order to best log EMAP?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
TheDriver216
Rotary Fanatic

TheDriver216 is on a distinguished road

Grats man!!!!... is it going to be at the B3R dyno day?
TheDriver216 is offline   Reply With Quote